Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I need some high quality earphones for the gym

can you recommend me any guys?

JLemm

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
I need some high quality earphones for the gym

can you recommend me any guys?

I've been using these 5 days a week since January, work great!

sie2_overview_bigproduct.jpg

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...adphones/index.jsp#currentState=sie2i_headset

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Klipsch S4i with Comply Foam Tips T-100. Really great earphone. $45 or so shipped from Amazon.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Klipsch S4i with Comply Foam Tips T-100. Really great earphone. $45 or so shipped from Amazon.

are they good for the gym though?

also isnt the ''4i'' the mobile version? the earphones i will be getting will be to use with an ipod shuffle at the gym so i wont need the microphone on the s4i.

----------

+1 My s4's have been my go to for years now and they're still top performers

i heard they are poor build quality

are they good to use on the treadmill etc...i e falling out

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I dont know about you guys, but I find the best phones for the gym is just the plain old apple earpods.
And this is coming from a headphone enthusiast. I have 3 ultimate ears (the real ultimate ears...not those logitech ones...) but I always grab my earpods for the gym
1. I wont worry about damaging it. $30 a pop
2. theyre 'open'..so if someone is near me and is in need for help or a spot, i can hear them..
3. they sound good with pump up songs.
4. theyre open, not in ears.. so you dont hear you dont have to keep readjusting them as you tense up.
5. they have the inline controls.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I dont know about you guys, but I find the best phones for the gym is just the plain old apple earpods.
And this is coming from a headphone enthusiast. I have 3 ultimate ears (the real ultimate ears...not those logitech ones...) but I always grab my earpods for the gym
1. I wont worry about damaging it. $30 a pop
2. theyre 'open'..so if someone is near me and is in need for help or a spot, i can hear them..
3. they sound good with pump up songs.
4. theyre open, not in ears.. so you dont hear you dont have to keep readjusting them as you tense up.
5. they have the inline controls.

dont the earpods fall out whilst your running?
also i heard the sound quality isnt good plus at the gym you need earphones that block out sound....

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
are they good for the gym though?

also isnt the ''4i'' the mobile version? the earphones i will be getting will be to use with an ipod shuffle at the gym so i wont need the microphone on the s4i.

----------

i heard they are poor build quality

are they good to use on the treadmill etc...i e falling out

You don't need the mic but the volume controls and track skip/rewind is extremely useful. With foam tips they will not fall out! There are some review of them breaking, but Klipsch has great customer service. The sound it really amazing for the price.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
You don't need the mic but the volume controls and track skip/rewind is extremely useful. With foam tips they will not fall out! There are some review of them breaking, but Klipsch has great customer service. The sound it really amazing for the price.

where do you get the foam tips from

can you post me a link to them please....

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
If you like bass and need a cheaper pair, the Skullcandy Ink'd 2.0 are pretty decent. Tons of bass, crisp highs. Not bad for $16.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
dont the earpods fall out whilst your running?
also i heard the sound quality isnt good plus at the gym you need earphones that block out sound....

again, I prefer headphones that dont block out sound. it's so annoying/awkward when people try to say something to you and you have to pull them out.
earpods stay very securely in my ears, theyre shaped to stay in your ears - note i dont mean the old Apple earphones.
Soundwise, they're great for the gym...youre not going to be critiqueing your music in the gym. you want something that sounds exciting - earpods.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
again, I prefer headphones that dont block out sound. it's so annoying/awkward when people try to say something to you and you have to pull them out.
earpods stay very securely in my ears, theyre shaped to stay in your ears - note i dont mean the old Apple earphones.
Soundwise, they're great for the gym...youre not going to be critiqueing your music in the gym. you want something that sounds exciting - earpods.

Who is talking to you while you are working out anyhow?

For me earpods sound good, but they fall out easily.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I use the bose MIE2i for the gym only because they actually stay in my ear and sound much better than the earpods, i absolutely loved the S4's but they would never stay in my ears whether if I was lifting or on the treadmill, the bose never fall out of my ear and honestly for the gym sound really good in my honest opinion

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Who is talking to you while you are working out anyhow?

For me earpods sound good, but they fall out easily.

yup thats what ive been told!

----------

I use the bose MIE2i for the gym only because they actually stay in my ear and sound much better than the earpods, i absolutely loved the S4's but they would never stay in my ears whether if I was lifting or on the treadmill, the bose never fall out of my ear and honestly for the gym sound really good in my honest opinion

they have a sport dedicated pair which a poster had recommend at the top of the page^

thing is i am not sure if i really want to spend £100 on earphones to use at the gym with an ipod shuffle. just seems a bit too much tbh....

i do have the money but i was looking for something maybe a lil cheaper/

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
yup thats what ive been told!

----------

they have a sport dedicated pair which a poster had recommend at the top of the page^

thing is i am not sure if i really want to spend £100 on earphones to use at the gym with an ipod shuffle. just seems a bit too much tbh....

i do have the money but i was looking for something maybe a lil cheaper/

I got mine over a year before the sport ones were released, I know they're pricey but I know for sure they're are definitely durable and can take the grueling demands of the gym

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I got mine over a year before the sport ones were released, I know they're pricey but I know for sure they're are definitely durable and can take the grueling demands of the gym

is it worth getting the sports ones over the ie2's?

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I often have a gym buddy
then often times i ask someone for a spot, or someone asks me to spot.

oh with me i dont so thats not going to be a huge problem

since the earphones are just to use in the gym a couple of days a weeks i dont really need an expensive pair but i want a pair that will last and are good QUALITY

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
oh with me i dont so thats not going to be a huge problem

since the earphones are just to use in the gym a couple of days a weeks i dont really need an expensive pair but i want a pair that will last and are good QUALITY

I have not had any issues with foam tips coming out. they also provide great insulation. The regular gel tips i wouldnt recommend, but they still arent terrible in the gym.

and to answer your question from before, I believe there is just the s4 version still. Thats the version I have, but i bought them 3-4 years ago. in hindsight i wish i went for the "i" version though, since now I use my iphone in the gym

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I have not had any issues with foam tips coming out. they also provide great insulation. The regular gel tips i wouldnt recommend, but they still arent terrible in the gym.

and to answer your question from before, I believe there is just the s4 version still. Thats the version I have, but i bought them 3-4 years ago. in hindsight i wish i went for the "i" version though, since now I use my iphone in the gym
Oh I see
What are the foam tips? Do they come with the s4's or do you buy them seperately?
The s4i's are like £60 on amazon so they are not cheap. I heard they have great sound but the build quality is kinda poor.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Oh I see
What are the foam tips? Do they come with the s4's or do you buy them seperately?
The s4i's are like £60 on amazon so they are not cheap. I heard they have great sound but the build quality is kinda poor.

S4's are still made and can be found cheap used as well. Look up Comply Foam Tips, find your earphone model and see what you like. The 100 size is what you need. I use S-100 and have used T-100. Both work great. I will never listen to any earphone without foam tips again.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
S4's are still made and can be found cheap used as well. Look up Comply Foam Tips, find your earphone model and see what you like. The 100 size is what you need. I use S-100 and have used T-100. Both work great. I will never listen to any earphone without foam tips again.

good tip on the used. They're pretty sturdy too, so I wouldnt worry too much about a busted driver

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.