Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 1, 2013, 03:59 PM   #1
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Gun nut Pa. police chief suspended after video profanities

Ignorance is bliss.

Videos have NSFW langage

Quote:
A small-town police chief who appears in online videos using profanity and shooting automatic weapons has been suspended for 30 days without pay.
The borough council of Gilberton voted 5-1 at a meeting Wednesday night to suspend Chief Mark Kessler, saying he misused borough property. It said he used the weapons without permission.

Kessler has said he made the videos to draw attention to the erosion of the constitutional rights of free speech and to bear arms and he increasingly fears a government out of control.

He said after the meeting that he wouldn't apologize for making the videos and didn't regret having done so. He said he looked forward to getting back to work after the suspension.
http://www.timesonline.com/news/nati...tml?TNNoMobile

Here are the videos he posted.

Old Aug 1, 2013, 04:03 PM   #2
.Andy
macrumors 68030

What an absolutely pathetically insecure individual. The tougher he tries to be the more emasculated he becomes.

Quote:
Kessler has said he made the videos to draw attention to the erosion of the constitutional rights of free speech and to bear arms and he increasingly fears a government out of control.
YouTube videos of you shooting a hill should clear that right up.

Edit: haha he's a birther too !

Last edited by .Andy; Aug 1, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
.Andy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 04:31 PM   #3
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

I'm utterly amazed.

Not so much that someone in these great United States should have such views. Or even post a YouTube video like that.

What flabbergasts me is that this person is employed in a responsible position in law enforcement. That someone so utterly bereft of good judgement as to post a profanity laden tirade on YouTube is charged with maintaining public order in his community.

I'll forgive a cop from an error of judgement made in the heat of an encounter. I'd forgive a police chief for making a wrong hiring or policy decision if it was made with good intentions.

But there was no "good intention" here. This was a silly little boy having a tantrum on video. (Never mind the fact that his objections to the UN Arms Control treaty have little - if anything - to do with civilian gun ownership in the US.) And having had his tantrum - he lacked the good judgement to stop and ask himself: "Is anything good going to come out of this? Is this going to spur a legitimate debate over the merits of the Treaty in question? Is this going to make the community I serve any safer?"

We live in a country with a First Amendment that guarantees the right to Free Speech. A right I wholeheartedly support. But if you hold a responsible position in public service - you owe your community a duty to conduct your public self with a modicum of decency and civility. This oaf with a badge failed utterly on this count. And hopefully the public service commission that hired him will choose to dispense with his services once his contract is up.
vrDrew is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 04:51 PM   #4
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

About time some action was taken against him. People as unstable as him should not be holding any kind of position of authority, let alone a firearm.
iMikeT is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Ha! What was it I said in that other gun thread? Something about how the people who tend to scream the loudest about their second amendment rights are usually about the last people I'd want to see with a gun?

Here you go. I love it when life provides me with an example.
Renzatic is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 08:04 PM   #6
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Ha! What was it I said in that other gun thread? Something about how the people who tend to scream the loudest about their second amendment rights are usually about the last people I'd want to see with a gun?

Oh I'm going to enjoy the ****storm from the gun nuts you'll be getting in this forum.
iMikeT is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Oh I'm going to enjoy the ****storm from the gun nuts you'll be getting in this forum.
Me too. I love conflict.
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:24 PM   #8
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It's possible that even the gun advocates here in PRSI recognize a true lunatic when they see one.

Thank god I don't live anywhere near that man's jurisdiction.

I'll consider it a minor miracle if he manages to keep his anger under control and doesn't shoot somebody.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
I'm utterly amazed.

Not so much that someone in these great United States should have such views. Or even post a YouTube video like that.

What flabbergasts me is that this person is employed in a responsible position in law enforcement.
The answer is: Because stupidity, racism, and rednecked ignorance is an institutionalized phenomena in some parts of the USA. In other words, the reason why he can be such an arse-backward cretin and STILL be employed as a government-civic official is because his employers (the local civic government and its elected leaders) are just as arse-backwards and rednecked moronically cretinacious just like he is. That's why.
Solomani is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:08 AM   #10
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Looks like a level headed guy to me....

What is the issue here? I might see a small misuse of the weapons but as long as he was using ammo he purchased himself I don't see any problems with him taking the weapons out to practice with.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 04:46 AM   #11
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

So much stupidity in one person,truly amazing.
Peterkro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:30 AM   #12
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
A perfect indictment.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:47 AM   #13
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:

What is the issue here? I might see a small misuse of the weapons but as long as he was using ammo he purchased himself I don't see any problems with him taking the weapons out to practice with.
How did you get level headed from that? He makes overly broad statements in the first video as to "what we can and can't own". On a side note, if he left all the shell cases after concluding the video, that's still littering.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:54 AM   #14
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post

Yep pretty much covers it.

wow - what a fraktard - not someone who should be allowed to be on the internet, let alone hold a position of office; and he owns guns! scary!

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:58 AM   #15
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
So much stupidity in one person,truly amazing.
The police chief or the poster?
noisycats is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:40 AM   #16
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
The police chief or the poster?
The "person" in the videos.
Peterkro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:01 AM   #17
VulchR
macrumors 68000

The man has the right to his views, but honestly this is why professionals never, ever record videos for the web. What the police chief said was idiocy, but I do have sympathy for him. There is something about electronic rage (e-mail, twitter, YouTube, PRSI, etc.) that exposes all our shortcomings to the core. Poor b@st@rd, but I can't see how he could possibly enforce the law in an unbiased way. His days in law enforcement are probably numbered, and justifiably so.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:26 AM   #18
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

How that guy ever passed a psych exam to be sworn is beyond me. I'll go out on a limb and say a guy like that usually has a history which makes me wonder how he even passed a thorough and legally defensible bg investigation. A nutjob.
Gutwrench is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:04 PM   #19
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
How that guy ever passed a psych exam to be sworn is beyond me. I'll go out on a limb and say a guy like that usually has a history which makes me wonder how he even passed a thorough and legally defensible bg investigation. A nutjob.
I thought Solomani summed it up pretty well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
The answer is: Because stupidity, racism, and rednecked ignorance is an institutionalized phenomena in some parts of the USA. In other words, the reason why he can be such an arse-backward cretin and STILL be employed as a government-civic official is because his employers (the local civic government and its elected leaders) are just as arse-backwards and rednecked moronically cretinacious just like he is. That's why.
No doubt the police chief isn't the only nutcase in charge of that region.
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:17 PM   #20
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:

At the end of the first video, we see him losing it and screaming "COME AND TAKE IT MOTHER******!!!!!!!" at the camera before emptying his machine gun's clip. That looks level headed to you?
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:21 PM   #21
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
At the end of the first video, we see him losing it and screaming "COME AND TAKE IT MOTHER******!!!!!!!" at the camera before emptying his machine gun's clip. That looks level headed to you?
Possible ironic intent?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:31 PM   #22
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Possible ironic intent?
Not if you've read lostngone's recent posts.

Wait.

Or did you mean ironic intent of the guy in the video?

I'm confused.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Not if you've read lostngone's recent posts.

Wait.

Or did you mean ironic intent of the guy in the video?

I'm confused.
I haven't read the poster's posts. You mean he (the person who wrote the post...for clarity) was seriously calling that ********* lunatic in the video "level headed"!?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:44 PM   #24
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You must have watched a different video. None of the guns in any of the videos used clips...
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:45 PM   #25
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

This VIDEO alone should be reason enough to get this guy fired.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues