Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
Supposedly in some very small cases those who call on a HD voice phone to another HD voice phone on the same network you might be able to get HD voice. For those that do live in area that HD voice is actually on how is it?

T-mobile is in the middle of the rollout if I remeber correctly and so is sprint right? I unfortunately dont live in an HD voice city but is there anyone that does and can let us know if its any good?

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
One of my friends has it, says it is very good. That's because most cell phone mics and earpieces suck. He says noticeably clearer when he's talking with the HD voice.

Problem is, both phones need to be iPhone with the HD capability.

This is the major achilles heel of all cell phones: terrible audio quality. Though voice is generally better on GSM carriers, which is why I hate CDMA and won't use Verizon.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I have used HD Voice in the UK. It is much clearer, similar to the quality you'd get on Skype. Nothing more than that though.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
HD Voice is amazing. It sounds like the person you're talking to is in the room with you. I was in shock a little the first time I used it on a phone call.

Only thing is that so far the only way you will get it is if the other person is on T-Mobile and using one of their high-end phones. I believe the S4, iPhone, One, One S, S3, Note 2, 925, and Xperia have it right now.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
This is the major achilles heel of all cell phones: terrible audio quality.

That's why I wish operators would offer data-only plans where you pay for voice by the minute. I switched to TMO because the $30 prepaid plan of 100 minutes, unlimited SMS and 5 GB HSPA was the closest thing I could find to a no-voice plan.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My wife (4S) and I (5) have been using hacked AT&T profile (Google for it) and audio quality improvement is staggering.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
HD Voice is great. My wife and I both have T-Mobile iPhone 5s and my brother has a T-Mobile GS4. Call quality is crystal clear. It sounded like he was standing right next to me the first time I called my brother with my new phone.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
HD Voice is great. My wife and I both have T-Mobile iPhone 5s and my brother has a T-Mobile GS4. Call quality is crystal clear. It sounded like he was standing right next to me the first time I called my brother with my new phone.

Is it available everywhere? Or only where there is LTE on both ends?

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
It's available everywhere. You just have to be connected to 4G (HSPA+) or Wifi while on the phone.

Interesting I wonder why T-Mobile hasn't made such a big deal about it, my calls have always been clear but never knew it was on HD voice. Now that I'm thinking if they did a lot if ads on this they could get more people to jump ship.

Wonder how sprints doing....

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I have a T-Mobile Nokia Astound C7 (I know, I'm hoping to get an iPhone "5C" when it comes out) and I call friends who have iPhone 5's on T-Mobile. Call quality = Excellent (This is on 3G, T-Mobile says you need at least 3G to have HD voice calls). :D

I live in Philadelphia by the way. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.