Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
US
How much of a difference would it be? System looks aside, what does iOS have that Android doesn't have?

My contract is ending some time in december and I've stuck with Apple since getting my 3G in 2008. Upgraded once to the 4S I have now.

I'm considering switching to Android, especially now since they seem to have picked up the pace considerably compared to just a few years ago. And I'm getting bored of iPhones.

I realize I'd be missing iCloud (which is a bummer -- I use calendar/reminder/notes sync extensively). What else? Is the Google app store as good as Apple's? I can keep my 4S for iOS exclusive things but would rather just stick to one device.

I definitely won't be missing iTunes, I use my iPod for all my music. I have more music purchased from google play anyways (higher quality and good deals).

What about the interface? Is it as well refined and smooth? I'm aware companies put bloatware on their phones but I would probably install Google's standard firmware since it seems like the most refined.

Sorry if this is an age-old question (I'm fairly sure it is).

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
How much of a difference would it be? System looks aside, what does iOS have that Android doesn't have?

Android is more open than iOS. You'll have options that weren't available on your iPhone.

I realize I'd be missing iCloud (which is a bummer -- I use calendar/reminder/notes sync extensively). What else? Is the Google app store as good as Apple's? I can keep my 4S for iOS exclusive things but would rather just stick to one device.

iCloud is neat, but it isn't anything that Google hasn't been doing with their online services for years. My google calendar contains my reminders and it syncs with the calendar on my phone. I do miss iMessage and Airplay a little.

The Google play store is great. I haven't found an app that I used on my iPhone that doesn't have an equivalent in the Play store. Additionally, you have access to things that Apple doesn't allow, alternative keyboards for example.

What about the interface? Is it as well refined and smooth? I'm aware companies put bloatware on their phones but I would probably install Google's standard firmware since it seems like the most refined.

Sorry if this is an age-old question (I'm fairly sure it is).

The interface is great. Bloatware can be a problem, but there are google edition phones if you don't feel like unlocking and rooting and flashing ROMs. If you ARE interested in those things, here ya go.

My point is that I recently switched from my iPhone 4s to the HTC One and I was surprised because I wasn't able to find many issues or missing functionality after the switch.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

I'm considering switching to Android, especially now since they seem to have picked up the pace considerably compared to just a few years ago. And I'm getting bored of iPhones.

I definitely won't be missing iTunes, I use my iPod for all my music. I have more music purchased from google play anyways (higher quality and good deals).

You will find that there will be some subtle differences and some not so subtle differences. If you haven't used an Android phone for any length of time, you will find that for many things, the UI is similar. There will be instances here and there where the Android UI is different and may frustrate you. You will simply have to unlearn how to do certain actions and learn the Android way. I had this frustration as an Android user who had to work with an iPhone for some period of time. It just takes some time to learn the different gestures.

The smoothness of the UI will depend on the phone and what you have installed. I have a lot of widgets and 3D scrolling effects, so home screen scrolling will be a bit choppier than on an iOS device. The best way to assess the smoothness for you would be to just go to a store and try it yourself on a working phone. I haven't done a comparison with anything recent. The last time I did that was about 2 years ago, but Android phones have gotten a lot more smoother since then.

I never have any issues with bloatware. I just don't put any of these icons on my home screen. Storage space is not an issue for me.

The app selection will vary. There will be some very good apps and probably a lot more crappy ones. Usually, the crappy ones will likely not be near the top of the list of your app searches. My peeve would be apps whose UI look and behave like iOS apps instead of Android apps. If you're coming from iOS, you may actually like this.

If you are going to check out widgets, just be aware that like apps, there are a lot of crappy widgets out there. There are some that are very good. It depends on your own personal tastes. I've found some very useful ones, but there are many who seem to exist solely for the sake of having a widget and offer little or no value for the space they take up on the home screen.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
I realize I'd be missing iCloud (which is a bummer -- I use calendar/reminder/notes sync extensively).

Well, just get both "Smooth Sync" apps (contacts and calendar) and enjoy iCloud on your Android phone. Then you can configure Dropbox to sync all your photos to the cloud for something similar to photostream.

I went from an iPhone 4 to a Nexus 4 and love it... it's pretty smooth and refreshing after several years with iOS.

bwhinnen

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
McKinney
Well, just get both "Smooth Sync" apps (contacts and calendar) and enjoy iCloud on your Android phone. Then you can configure Dropbox to sync all your photos to the cloud for something similar to photostream.

I went from an iPhone 4 to a Nexus 4 and love it... it's pretty smooth and refreshing after several years with iOS.

I agree with this, the Smooth Sync apps are great and when combined with the "Tasks" app from the same author makes it so easy to switch to Android. Right now the only thing I miss with making the recent move is iMessages.

There is an app called "Twonky Beam" that will allow you to stream to an airplay device, but it is a little "clunky" in its operation and is its own media player / web browser.

Of course the primary little thing I miss is the mute toggle switch that the iPhone has. My HTC One doesn't :)

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I agree with this, the Smooth Sync apps are great and when combined with the "Tasks" app from the same author makes it so easy to switch to Android. Right now the only thing I miss with making the recent move is iMessages.

There is an app called "Twonky Beam" that will allow you to stream to an airplay device, but it is a little "clunky" in its operation and is its own media player / web browser.

Of course the primary little thing I miss is the mute toggle switch that the iPhone has. My HTC One doesn't :)

I really think the Chromecast will solve androids streaming to TV issue...just waiting on more support from the 'big' apps!

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I switched from an iPhone 4S to a Nexus 4 and it was a great decision. My advice to you is to go watch tons and tons of youtube videos on the latest Android phones. And really, I can't suggest a phone to you right now. I can only suggest you wait for the Nexus 5. In which case, watch tons of videos on the Nexus 4 to get an idea of stock Android and see if you like it.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I agree with that - on the other hand, you can get to the vibrate-only mode (and also to muting) just by holding down the volume, so it's not all that bad.

As someone who had two - two! - mute switches fail on a 4S, I don't miss it so much. ;-)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
By the end of the year, your choices of Android devices will be ridiculously wide and varied, all with particular strengths, all overall good, and all with few compromises.

Under a year old:
S4
HTC One (might be a One + version)
Xperia Z

Under half a year old:
Moto X
LG G2

Relatively new:
HTC One Max
Note III
Nexus smartphone 2013

And who knows what else. You'll have a great time. Just do your research.

As for the software, if you know little about Android, some things might be jarring. But be patience and just as with the hardware, a little research will go a long way. You have a community of iOS-to-Android users to help you too. It'll pay off. There's no better time to switch to the world of Android than now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.