Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I've been using it for a while (ios7) and most of the time when I'm browsing safari, I accidently swipe up control center when scrolling through the page. I wish it was a two finger activation.

Anyone else annoyed?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
It is rather annoying, yet there are other issues that are even worse. Overall it's going to come down to Apples marketing muscle and their skill at spinning the message that iOS 7 is a good upgrade.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, it annoys me. With notification centre in iOS6, it was just that top edge that you had to keep away from, which is quite easy. But now you have to keep away from both the top and bottom edge, you feel kind of sandwiched in, which feels quite suffocating.

Speaking of hand gestures, I 'd like them to do a 5-finger rotating hand gesture to re-orientate the screen when orientation lock is on. I pretty much use my iPad in landscape mode all the time, but there are times when I have to/are better off using it in portrait. In times when I'm lying on my side in bed, in order to change the orientation, I must use the physical switcher on the side of the iPad to deactivate orientation lock, rotate my iPad according to gravity, and re-lock, which is more effort than a simple 5-fingered rotating hand gesture.

Last edited:

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Yeah, it annoys me. With notification centre in iOS6, it was just that top edge that you had to keep away from, which is quite easy. But now you have to keep away from both the top and bottom edge, you feel kind of sandwiched in, which feels wuite suffocating.

Speaking of hand gestures, I 'd like them to do a 5-finger rotating hand gesture to re-orientate the screen when orientation lock is on. I pretty much use my iPad in landscape mode all the time, but there are times when I have to/are better off using it in portrait. In times when I'm lying on my side in bed, in order to change the orientation, I must use the physical switcher on the side of the iPad to deactivate orientation lock, rotate my iPad according to gravity, and re-lock, which is more effort than a simple 5-fingered rotating hand gesture.

Well I guess.. Just did the rotation gesture and brought me back to home screen lol

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Nope, not annoying. People will get used to it. If a 2 finger swipe would be required, that'd be annoying...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess i am good with it as well..i don't face any sort of problem while operating it. It is just that you have to get used to it and once you are you won't be complaining anymore.
Yeah, just have to be at least a little more careful/precise/deliberate about movements in the screen, especially around the edges now.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Im annoyed with the swipe left/right on tapatalk :eek: not even a option to turn the damm thing off !

Anyway i guess because of all this years dealing with gesture based tweaks (jailbreak) i dont have a problem with the swipe up gesture of NC, i used to have multifl0w multitasking that way.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Sorry, but I like the way it is. I think a two-finger gesture would be annoying because you couldn't use one hand to open the Control Center anymore. The occasional accidental activation is a small price to pay for one-handed operation.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I've been using it for a while (ios7) and most of the time when I'm browsing safari, I accidently swipe up control center when scrolling through the page. I wish it was a two finger activation.

Anyone else annoyed?

How would that work on the iPhone? A lot of times I'm using my iPhone one handed.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Im annoyed with the swipe left/right on tapatalk :eek: not even a option to turn the damm thing off !

Anyway i guess because of all this years dealing with gesture based tweaks (jailbreak) i dont have a problem with the swipe up gesture of NC, i used to have multifl0w multitasking that way.

In guessing your using tapatalk 2? I'm using the original tapatalk and there's no swipe motion. It actually does sound fairly handy.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm not a fan of introducing any new gesture into an ecosystem.

Several games seem unplayable now and even just scrolling a webpage can be tricky.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I haven't had too much trouble with it. I do agree with the other person who stated I'd be more annoyed with having to use 2 fingers.

What a hard life we all have. :p

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Not annoyed with it at all. I very rarely bring it up by mistake.

For CC to appear you have to swipe from off the screen. There's plenty of screen you can use to scroll.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not annoyed per se, but it does come up accidentally now and then. I use my phone one-handed mostly, so I'm not sure there are options outside of what we have now.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I like it but as with the other gestures in iOS 7, they need to be tweaked. I think the upwards swipe travel needs to be increased to about 25% of the screen height. As it is now a very short swipe will continue the travel up... where it should bounce back down.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not annoyed at all. Accidental activiations occur maybe 3% of the time for me.

Besides, requiring a two finger swipe would make it very difficult to do when using the phone one-handed.

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
Nope, not annoying. People will get used to it. If a 2 finger swipe would be required, that'd be annoying...

This. The phone is designed to use in one hand. Why would it make sense to have to use 2 fingers to do anything?

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
This. The phone is designed to use in one hand. Why would it make sense to have to use 2 fingers to do anything?

Completely agree, people will get use to it. I use control centre several times a day, so it's definitely a useful and welcome feature.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Apple wants you to be able to use your phone one-handed so I don't see them changing how it's activated any time soon.

Edit: Looks like I replied without reading every post. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.