Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HCastillo3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2013
Hi, so I am unsure how many people still do this but I have been trying to update a 3GS 5.1.1 from 5.16.05 to the Ipad BB so I can unlock it using Ultrasn0w.

My main phone is dead and my friend let me borrow his 3GS until I fix my phone. I jailbroke it via the DFU redsn0w method and installed Cydia. I then tried to use ultrasn0w but it did not work because of the firmware version. Now when I try to go back into DFU > redsn0w > Ipad BB option it says something along the lines of:

ERROR!
Please reboot the device into normal operating mode, then perform a clean (restart with slider) then try redsn0w

This happens when I try the Jailbreak option (Install Cydia and Ipad BB or just Ipad BB)

I also checked and my serial is below xx128.

I have learned all of this in the last 24 hours trying to get a functioning phone so it may be something simple, but help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I know restore may have to be done. Is there any issues if there is no SIM during a restore?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
IPad BB Upgrade

You'll need an older redsn0w version
Only select the ipad BB option!
Read the redsn0w instruction carefully and follow exactly.
It might take several tries

After the upgrade to ipad BB downgrade to 5.13.04 which you can unlock with ultrasn0w as well, it will give back gps functionality

Downgrade guide
http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22652

HCastillo3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2013
Hey, huge thanks, the older redsn0w worked and now I have 6.15.00. Only problem is I still have no service. I reinstalled ultrasn0w (the sinful one because i can't get the repo source) and still no service.

Any tips while I continue to fiddle with this. IDC about GPS, I just want a phone lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.