Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 2, 2013, 02:35 AM   #1
meashish
macrumors member

Lightbulb re-install Mac os - create image file

currently installed 10.8.4 on macbook air
1.how can i reinstall 10.8.4 without internet access ?

2.how to create recovery disk or image to reinstall or format my mac from already installed mac os on macbook air ?

3. how to format and reinstall mac os on iMac-macbook air ? without internet

Me Ashish
iPhone 4 - iPad 2 (3G) | iOS 7.0.6
meashish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 07:53 AM   #2
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Firstly, without the internet, you can't really get a working copy of the OS to install.
If you have the internet at some point, then you can download the OS installer app, and there are lots of instructions on the net about how to create an installer disk on an 8Gb flash drive from that app.

Secondly: reinstalling the OS is rarely necessary. Why do you want to do this? Most problems can be fixed using other methods, unless you've deleted or altered existing system files.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:15 AM   #3
meashish
macrumors member

Lightbulb

1- i want re install it if i give it to another user or totally changeover

2- when i download it and install mac then it will delete installer app
so before someday i download it and copy it.

if i install mac os with this installer download by other apple id , in future any
updates come out is it ask for apple id password ?? if i given to other user and him apple id log in app store

as said download installer app so how can i do it without download full mac os

my confusion is only with Apple ID ?

Me Ashish
iPhone 4 - iPad 2 (3G) | iOS 7.0.6
meashish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Like benwiggy said, there is no way to get a copy of the OS without Internet access. If you can get Internet access, you do have some options.

I assume from your question your Mac did not come with Mountain Lion, and you later bought it from the App Store and installed it... correct?

If that is the case, you can redownload from the App Store and stop the command-q quit the installation when it begins so you still have the installer. Then use this free app along with a 8GB USB key to make your self an installer.

You can then option key boot to that installer on any of your machines and reinstall the OS.

To erase a machine to sell, just option key boot to the USB key you made then start Disk Ui and erase Macintosh HD. Then quit Disk Util and install the OS.

The new buyer would need your AppleID if they ever wanted to reinstall the OS, but the AppleID is not required for OS updates.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion