Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Aug 2, 2013, 07:14 AM   #1
tanker5
macrumors member

2013/2014 iMac Models

Tim Cook has stated that Apple will have a "very busy fall" hinting at new and upgraded products. I think later this year we should expect to see new iMac models with the same form factors and display resolutions as the 2012 iMacs. These iMacs will include Haswell processors and 802.11 ac wireless.

I don't see the rumored "retina iMacs" coming out until at least 2014 with the introduction of Intel's 5th gen core processors and thunderbolt 2.
tanker5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Serban
macrumors 68020

maybe retina this year..maybe next year or maybe in 2015 at most. To make a "wow" effect they should release retina iMac this year because until late 2014 there will be already 4K displays all over. Just in case with rMBP the wow effect was there because apple was the first
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 07:28 AM   #3
sonicrobby
macrumors 65816

Agreed. Currently it would be just too expensive for Apple to put Retina in the iMacs and sell them for the same price. Next year the retina displays should be more affordable and will probably make their appearance then.

AGH, is it october yet?! I want to get the new models ASAP :[
Old Aug 2, 2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Serban
macrumors 68020

They can do like in rMBP to double the pixel with the same resolution.
Your native resolution for 21.5" for example should be 1080p HPD
Old Aug 2, 2013, 08:14 AM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604

considering how much trouble Apple is having getting screens for 13" and 15" retina MBPs, I shudder to think how much trouble they will have with a 27" or even a 21" retina. I don't think the screen yields are high enough yet.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Serban
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
considering how much trouble apple is having getting screens for 13" and 15" retina mbps, i shudder to think how much trouble they will have with a 27" or even a 21" retina. I don't think the screen yields are high enough yet.
+1
Old Aug 2, 2013, 09:03 AM   #7
mrmarts
macrumors 6502a

The other day I was at my local Apple store dreaming of getting the new iMac, when I noticed that the screen looks far more pixelated (like a iPhone 3GS or iPad mini) than earlier models anyone else notice this.
mrmarts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Serban
macrumors 68020

No. My late 2012 imac display still looks better than my ipad mini or my macbook air 13". Almost on bar with iphone5. I think if the iMacs were having aroung 127ppi, no need for retina displays would be a must
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:38 PM   #9
forty2j
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarts View Post
The other day I was at my local Apple store dreaming of getting the new iMac, when I noticed that the screen looks far more pixelated (like a iPhone 3GS or iPad mini) than earlier models anyone else notice this.
Perhaps someone had tinkered with the resolution at the store.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 03:41 PM   #10
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarts View Post
How close to the screen were you?
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:30 PM   #11
mrmarts
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
How close to the screen were you?
Pretty close but than again i used to sit close to my late 2009 27 iMac and i never saw that many pixels, I wonder if the stores lighting effects it.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 06:32 AM   #12
Serban
macrumors 68020

maybe somebody change the 1440p resolution on that imac
Old Aug 3, 2013, 01:48 PM   #13
zvezdochots
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to zvezdochots Send a message via Skype™ to zvezdochots
I don't think we will see updated iMacs this fall. There are two reasons for that. The first is that Intel Haswell processors are good for notebooks because they improve battery life, but they don't improve performance. And the second is that Apple has many products to release this fall: iPhone 5S, iPhone mini (5C, light), new MBPr, iPad 5th gen and iPad mini 2nd gen. In addition, don't forget about new Mac Pro and expected Thunderbolt Display update. So I think Apple won't update iMacs this year)
zvezdochots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvezdochots View Post
I don't think we will see updated iMacs this fall. There are two reasons for that. The first is that Intel Haswell processors are good for notebooks because they improve battery life, but they don't improve performance. And the second is that Apple has many products to release this fall: iPhone 5S, iPhone mini (5C, light), new MBPr, iPad 5th gen and iPad mini 2nd gen. In addition, don't forget about new Mac Pro and expected Thunderbolt Display update. So I think Apple won't update iMacs this year)
The Haswell processors are in general 5% or so faster than Ivrbridge processors presuming they use the ones running at the same speed (GHz) so there is some performance improvement there. But the processor is only one factor of system performance. What about faster GPUs? Faster SSDs? Faster WiFi?

There will be a new iMac because Apple can't afford to go too long between updates and I feel that all the separate minor upgrades would add up to something decent.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 02:46 PM   #15
Serban
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvezdochots View Post
Part 1 is true...but part 2 not..because with the macbook and mac pro they can do a MAC presentation along with the iMAC like they did it last year

----------

and if they think about your part 1...that will push the imac refreash after 5th generation intel will be announce so an upgrade after almost 1.5 years

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac