Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
I only upgraded yesterday, because I'm a musician using Pro Tools 11 which requires it. And boy, I gotta say, it's the worst Mac OS since OS 8.6. A MYRIAD of bugs, all seen in less than 24 hrs. Which begs the question: are there more?…

What's got my goat the worst right now is a really screwy behavior with sub folders, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it, and is there a fix/workaround. When scrolling down a folder to a sub folder, opening the sub folder makes the scroll return to the top of the main folder, causing you to have to scroll back down to the sub folder you want to view. This is irritating beyond measure. It seems to happen most while I search my downloads folder. This is but one of the many bugs I've noticed so far. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a solution? Very disappointed with this. Thanx in advance…

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I moved from Windows 7 to Mountain Lion and whilst I enjoy using a Mac I was really surprised at how....amateur....many things felt. So may little niggles etc that I really wouldnt have expected from such a mature OS.

Im looking forward to Mavricks, but a part of me is always considering going back to good ol rock solid Windows 7.

mcrum23

macrumors member
May 6, 2013
I moved from Windows 7 to Mountain Lion and whilst I enjoy using a Mac I was really surprised at how....amateur....many things felt. So may little niggles etc that I really wouldnt have expected from such a mature OS.

Im looking forward to Mavricks, but a part of me is always considering going back to good ol rock solid Windows 7.

What kind of niggles are you thinking about? I'm coming from windows 7 and my feelings are the exact opposite of yours.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
but a part of me is always considering going back to good ol rock solid Windows 7.

lol

----

While I don't think it's Apples best OS, it's not so bad either.
Im also a musician, and use Reason 7, plus Logic 9 & X along with other audio software niknaks. The only serious problem i've encountered was my old Apogee Duet totally sucking with OS X 10.8.
In every other respect the OS has been tip top and more than up to the job I need of it.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I only upgraded yesterday, because I'm a musician using Pro Tools 11 which requires it. And boy, I gotta say, it's the worst Mac OS since OS 8.6. A MYRIAD of bugs, all seen in less than 24 hrs.

I've got to hand it to you. In less that 24 hours, you've found all the remaining bugs in a system that has been on the market for more than a year, then you found MacRumors and registered as a user just to post your first rant. Seriously, you should report these to Apple so they can fix them, as they are likely the only bugs remaining. ;)

Somehow, I don't find you post believable. Finder behavior is not different than Lion.

Last edited:

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Mountain Lion was a HUGEE upgrade to me compared to Windows 7, but sometimes I miss Windows because I knew it inside out compared to Mac OS X, which I just started using last year.

I found Windows 7 (for some reason) had LESS program crashes than Mac OS X!

However, Mac OS X ML doesn't have any appearent bugs.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
What kind of niggles are you thinking about? I'm coming from windows 7 and my feelings are the exact opposite of yours.

Some things that come to mind of the top of my head:

* The cumbersome management of open windows (compared to Win7 and the ability to 'snap' windows side by side).

* Windows do not always remember your preferences when opening them so they revert back to the default size. Sometimes this results in a window full of icons with some being cut off at the right side of the open window etc.

* 'Get Info' on a picture would only show its metadata the first time, after that it would be blank and no longer show the camera details (this may have since been fixed but it went on for a long time).

* Messages doesnt always update your conversations when you open the app so the conversation doesnt flow from your iOS device to the Mac seamlessly.

* Sleep mode doesnt stay asleep, there are always way too many things that may wake the mac, best advice was to turn off wake on lan (which in turn disables other things such as find my mac at the same time).

* Copying files from the mac to an external drive copies most of the file before telling me its in use and it cannot complete the operation, it does this nearly all the time even though I have not opened the file in any application. Id seen someone suggest that its caused by Mac OS generating a thumbnail preview? Either way this never happened in all the years I used Windows 7 (unless of course you actually did have it open in another application!)

As I said thats just a few things that irritate me on a regular basis. Aside from that I do love Mac OS I just expected a better experience coming from Windows. I had always seen people suggest that using a Mac is a superior experience but in all honesty Im yet to see any evidence of that.

One area where it blows Windows away is you dont have to continually update your machine with security updates ALL THE TIME. I switched my PC on yesterday after not using it for months and it was a good half hour or so before I could use it as it has a ton of windows updates to install and my antivirus software wanted to update at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.