Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1
thedeejay
macrumors 6502a

iPad 2 Owners. Holding out 1 more cycle or upgrading?

Hey you guys,

As we all know (according to rumors) the "iPad 5 or 5th gen" is going to be released. Now I'm confused on what to do. Hold out one more year or upgrade. I'm usually the type of person who holds out on their products until I really need to upgrade. So I'm taking a few things into account: iOS 7 on iPad 2, is it like iOS 6 on iPod 4? Cuz that was terrible for me. Still is as I own an iPod 4. I'm thinking my resale value for my iPad is already crappy so I should hold on to it anyways? What do you guys thing. Any suggestions? What would YOU do? Plus my next iPad, I'm thinking 16 plus LTE so reselling my iPad is what I'm going to do to fork out the extra $ for LTE/cellular.

Cheers,
thedeejay
thedeejay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
sonicrobby
macrumors 65816

Some of the features such as paralax will be missing from the iPad2 on iOS7. I would say I think youve earned an upgrade, you will get a new form factor, better internals, siri, and benefit from all the features of iOs7
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3
iPad2013
Banned

Thumbs up

Upgrading my 32GB iPad 2.

I need the iPad to be lighter. If you've held a Mini, you'd want something in the same weight range.
iPad2013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:44 AM   #4
marcoity
macrumors newbie

if and when it comes out, buy it from store like best buy ... which refunds 100% on return product. Use it for a week, compare it with the iPad 2. keep it if its worth the upgrading other wise return it.
marcoity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Tree2u
macrumors newbie

Upgrading for sure..... The battery on my 2 is starting to drain faster and faster..
ATV 2 | AirPort Extreme
Tree2u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:58 AM   #6
akm3
macrumors 68020

I think it might be time to upgrade from my iPad 1...

OK honestly it's been way past time, but the 2 just wasn't enough, the 3 was hot, the 4 was too much like the 3...I think the 5 will be radical enough to make it worth it.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

I am currey running iOS 7 beta on my iPad 2 32gb model. So far no issues like we saw with iOS 6 on the iPod and iPhone 3GS and 4. Seems to run smoothly. It may not have all the features but as far as it goes so far no real issues other then a few apps not working. But that should be fixed once the real version comes out in the fall. That being said if I had the money I would totally upgrade so that I had all the new specs lighting conector and well you know just an over all faster iPad. Just my two cents lol.

Last edited by kaielement; Aug 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
kaielement is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:11 PM   #8
.Asa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaielement View Post
I am currey running iOS 7 beta on my iPad 2 32gb model. So far no issues like we saw with iOS 6 on the iPod and iPhone 3GS and 4. Seems to run smoothly. It may not have all the features but as far as it goes so far no real issues other then a few apps not working. But that should be fixed once the real version comes out in the fall. That being said if I had the money I would totally upgrade so that I had all the new specs lighting conector and we'll you know just an over all faster iPad. Just my two cents lol.
Yeah, this. From my experience iOS 7 runs just fine on all A5 devices. It shouldn't be an issue with the iPad 2.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 07:29 PM   #9
cdmoore74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Asa View Post
Yeah, this. From my experience iOS 7 runs just fine on all A5 devices. It shouldn't be an issue with the iPad 2.
Don't tell that to Tim Cook. Apple will see even lower numbers for the iPad. At some point you got to figure that updating old tabs like the iPad 2 will back fire on Apple. I would expect the iPad 2 to be discontinued from upgrades in 2014 just to get people to open their wallets.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 06:09 AM   #10
Markyyy
macrumors regular

I've still got an iPad 2 since it first launched (it's like 2 years and 4 months old, right?). I definately feel I'm due an upgrade largely for the benefit of a retina display so then I can subscribe to NewScientist magazine on my iPad and actually be able to read the text easily. The icons in the status bar on iOS7 don't look great on my iPad 2. It's like Apple haven't really gave much thought about refining icons for the lower-resolution displays. They look fine on iOS6. I think the status bar icons have slightly decreased in size though, so that would partly explain why they don't look as crisp.
Markyyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 09:49 PM   #11
Badrottie
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPad2013 View Post
Upgrading my 32GB iPad 2.

I need the iPad to be lighter. If you've held a Mini, you'd want something in the same weight range.
This. That is why I am ready to upgrade if the iPad 5 is really light and better features.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:18 PM   #12
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

If it works for you and does everything you need it to do I wouldn't bother upgrading. I always try and find excuses as to why I should upgrade when in reality, my devices work just fine.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:12 AM   #13
Medic311
macrumors 65816

if it ain't broke, don't replace it lol

if i were you and you've been fine without a Retina screen, i would keep the iPad 2
Medic311 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 03:30 AM   #14
preyan
macrumors regular

Upgrade. Besides additional features, I need more space
preyan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 06:11 AM   #15
colodane
macrumors regular

I will most certainly upgrade to another 32 GB cellular version. The iPad2 works fine, but excited and ready for the newer hardware features and native IOS7. But will feel obligated to wait until the next mini announcement to make sure I want the 5 rather than the new mini.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:42 PM   #16
KittiFatale
macrumors member

I've been wanting to upgrade my iPad 2 (64GB WiFi+3G) for some time now, especially after being exposed to the retina display on the iPhone 4 and 5. It still works great and still looks flawless. Hopefully I'll get a good sale value on it.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 02:22 PM   #17
MindsEye
macrumors regular

My 32gb wifi 2gen is still alive and kicking but the limitations of 512mb ram is beyond irratating with the constant page reloads in safari. Also having to be very conscious with the amount of apps running.

Along with the weight reductions, Doubling the RAM to 2GB will be enough to make me bite the bullet. Looking at replacing my current with a 64GB cellular version.
MindsEye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 03:24 PM   #18
ozaz
macrumors 6502a

I'll get a new ipad from this cycle only if I decide to go mini.

If not, I'll stick with 2 for now - thriftiness is partly because I am unsure if a full size iOS or Windows 8 tablet is better for me.
ozaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 07:01 PM   #19
brilliantthings
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeejay View Post
Hey you guys,

I'm usually the type of person who holds out on their products until I really need to upgrade.
I'm thinking my resale value for my iPad is already crappy so I should hold on to it anyways?
I'm in the same position. It ain't broke. It's only been two years. See how ios 7 goes on ipad 2. But next year might be our upgrade year I think.
brilliantthings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:17 AM   #20
calb
macrumors 6502

Most definitely replacing my 32GB iPad 2. Reasons I didn't upgrade to the 3rd or 4th generation were the additional size, weight and longer charge periods. If the 5th generation is thinner and lighter, I'll be happily joining the retina crowd.
calb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:08 AM   #21
tiptopp
macrumors regular

Upgrading

I have iOS7 on my iPad 2, and am not really happy with it. But I also use it a lot to watch TV and video, so want retina. And more space (I've got 16Gb).

So I'll be getting iPad 5, at least 32Gb, with LTE (I only have Wifi so have to use a Mifi to get internet access at work - costing 15 a month). Vodafone keep trying to give me a 'free' iPad 4 on a fairly good contract - I've told them to keep the offer open for the 5!

My daughters are quite excited about me having a new one - as they think they're getting the 2!

Tiptopp
tiptopp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:13 AM   #22
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Definitely upgrading my iPad 2. Really hoping it's lighter with the smaller bezels.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:20 AM   #23
td1439
macrumors member

I'm finding myself in a bit of a pickle here. I currently have an iPad 2 that I use for work. I'm a teacher, and my school is moving to a 1:1 iPad program for our 3 oldest grades. I've agreed to sell my iPad to the school for $200, and I will put that money towards a new iPad for myself. My conundrum lies in the anticipated release date of the iPad 5. Given the expected features, I would really prefer to get the 5. However, the news that the next iPhone version is expected to be introduced in mid-September makes me wonder if they are going to wait until October to even announce the 5, and I'm not sure I can go that long with no iPad at all (obviously I will need to get my current iPad to the school by the first week of September when the students return).

Is it even remotely possible that Apple has the iPad 5 available for sale by early October?
td1439 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:25 AM   #24
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68010

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
If the new iPad 5th generation has both a iPad mini-like case along with the Retina Display, I'm definitely upgrading.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:52 PM   #25
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Not upgrading or holding out another cycle for that mater.
My iPad 2 doesn't get enough use to warrant an update, and it works fine as is.
blackburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad