Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
It's tax-free weekend in my state.

[Edit: irrelevant now, Best Buy is offering better deals anyway.]

These are my options:

MBPr 13" 128GB 8GB - $1200-ish
2013 MBA 13" 128GB 4GB - $800-ish

• MBA I am stuck with 4GB.
  • MBP has better I/O, possibly worse graphics performance with the display, but I get 8GB.
  • 8GB MBA is possible from Apple, but would essentially be a $500 RAM upgrade.

Last edited:

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
By RJ45 you mean ethernet, I thought it had none?

What's so upgradable about it? Both have soldered-in RAM, and equally swappable hard drives don't they?

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
It also appears Best Buy is selling the retina for $1299 new.

The plot thickens. :eek:

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Unless you absolutely need the thinnest and lightest laptop around, the rMBP is probably better...it is faster, and the screen capabilities are better.

One point to consider: the new MBA has the HD 5000 graphics, vs. the HD 4000 graphics of the rMBP. How much of a difference is this? Debatable at this point...

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
It also has the new 802.11ac! I don't even have a router that supports this.

Memole

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2013
depends what do you need
but if i where in your shoes i would go for MBA for serval reasons

• Better Battery Life
  • PCIe SSD
  • New WiFi AC standard
  • Better GPU
  • You can run all OS in native EFI mode ( Windows 8 in EFI works flawless on MBA 2013 )

Reasons why to go for rMBP 13"
  • IPS Screen is better to MBA TN panel
  • Better Screen Resolution (Retina)
  • 2 Thunderbolt ports is better than one and also you have a HDMI Port

But since rMBP have power hungry screen HD 4000 may be laggy on some tasks it does stress out GPU to push those pixels but if you need 2 thunderbolt ports and/or HDMI port and if you just prefer IPS Retina screen and dont mind slower GPU, pontential problems with rMBP screen and last year tech then go for rMBP 13"

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I'd get the MBA... I prefer my laptop to be as portable as possible, I don't need tons of I/O, and the battery life on the MBA is killer. Graphics performance will be a bit better too. The MBA screen is quite high DPI anyway (even though it's not "retina").

But you can't go wrong with either one.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the input guys.

Well it looks like there's restrictions to this tax-free thing, in regards to computers, that I wasn't aware of. But it seems that Best Buy is actually honoring it, based on some coupon / loophole that I was made aware of from a family member who purchased a MBA.

I REALLY wanted 8GB. But the only ones with 8GB standard at Best Buy, are the retina models.

How bad is the HD 4000, really? I won't be gaming, or doing anything remotely intensive graphic-wise. The same family member pointed out that a salesman at Best Buy described the 13" MBPr as "not worth getting" because of the integrated graphics & screen combo. I really didn't think it would be an issue for my usage. :(

There is the option of getting MBA with 4GB, but so much for "future-proofing" my laptop.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Well, I walked out with a haswell macbook air 13" for a little over $800. It's a good price, I will just have to make due with 4GB.

They were very helpful at Best Buy, I was a little shocked.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
Lowest priced 13" at my local best buy is $899 without tax. How did you avail it at $800?

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Sale price + education discount + their slightly odder version of tax-free weekend + some kind of price match the guy did.

I'm still scratching my head at it dude, I can't find my receipt right now. When I do, I'll take some pictures.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Sale price + education discount + their slightly odder version of tax-free weekend + some kind of price match the guy did.

I'm still scratching my head at it dude, I can't find my receipt right now. When I do, I'll take some pictures.
The guy did you a favor. You don't double dip into price matching and education discounts. It's either one or the other.

Regardless, congrats!

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
The guy did you a favor.

No kidding. It had something to do with the MBA a relative bought, the day before at another Best Buy. I can't even fully explain it. :rolleyes:

[Edit: On second thought, why get myself or anyone else in trouble. Receipt removed, LOL. ]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.