Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OfficiallyPB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
London
I am looking to hooking my MBA up to my work monitor. With a wired keyboard & mouse, if i was going to get something like this would plugging a keyboard and mouse work ok

just not sure if the hub will power devices also, i was thinking of using the 4 ports as such:

1. USB external drive
  2. keyboard
  3. mouse

will this work ok ? Although i would also think about getting a trackpad to use for gestures.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I am looking to hooking my MBA up to my work monitor. With a wired keyboard & mouse, if i was going to get something like this would plugging a keyboard and mouse work ok

just not sure if the hub will power devices also, i was thinking of using the 4 ports as such:

1. USB external drive
  2. keyboard
  3. mouse

will this work ok ? Although i would also think about getting a trackpad to use for gestures.

It'll be fine for keyboard, mouse, and track pad. It won't have the power necessary to run external drives or charge iPhones.

That is a "bus-powered" hub, which means it draws its power from the computer. For things like external drives (or charging iPhones) that need greater amounts of power, you need to connect directly to the computer or get a powered hub, like this, which comes with an external power supply.

OfficiallyPB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
London
It'll be fine for keyboard, mouse, and track pad. It won't have the power necessary to run external drives or charge iPhones.

That is a "bus-powered" hub, which means it draws its power from the computer. For things like external drives (or charging iPhones) that need greater amounts of power, you need to connect directly to the computer or get a powered hub, like this, which comes with an external power supply.

Ok brilliant, so really need to be looking for a powered usb hub.
Cheers matey...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.