Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Hi,

I've had one Apple ID for ages and used it to set up iCloud a while back. I've decided to use my iCloud email, but I messed up the address when I set it up. Since I can't change it I thought about making a new Apple ID for iCloud all together and using my older one for my iTunes purchases.

Do you do this? Does it work well?

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Well I was in kind of the same situation as you, but in the end I just made two separate accounts. One for Apps/Music Purchases and another for Mail/iCloud.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Well I was in kind of the same situation as you, but in the end I just made two separate accounts. One for Apps/Music Purchases and another for Mail/iCloud.

Thats what I'm leaning towards. When I create my second Apple ID (for iCloud) can I use the same non apple email, since Apple won't let you use an apple domain email? I have only one gmail...

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'd try to avoid that, since it will likely lead to confusion later. If you don't like the primary icloud email address, you can create up to 3 aliases.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Thats what I'm leaning towards. When I create my second Apple ID (for iCloud) can I use the same non apple email, since Apple won't let you use an apple domain email? I have only one gmail...

Since you have Gmail, you could do what I do and have @gmail.com on one account and @googlemail.com on the other. They both lead to the same account, yet Apple treats them as different accounts, because normally you can't use the same Email on two accounts. Hope this helped ;)

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have separate Apple ID's for iTunes and iCloud, but it's because my wife and I share the iTunes ID so we only have to purchase apps one time and then we have separate iCloud ID's so we don't cross over our data for Contacts, Calendar, etc.. It works well for us. I wouldn't worry about things getting confusing because on your primary machine you can have both accounts logged in at the same time, one in iTunes/App Store and the other in System Preferences/iCloud.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have separate Apple ID's for iTunes and iCloud, but it's because my wife and I share the iTunes ID so we only have to purchase apps one time and then we have separate iCloud ID's so we don't cross over our data for Contacts, Calendar, etc.. It works well for us. I wouldn't worry about things getting confusing because on your primary machine you can have both accounts logged in at the same time, one in iTunes/App Store and the other in System Preferences/iCloud.

Since you have Gmail, you could do what I do and have @gmail.com on one account and @googlemail.com on the other. They both lead to the same account, yet Apple treats them as different accounts, because normally you can't use the same Email on two accounts. Hope this helped ;)

Thank you both! I didn't know about the @googlemail trick and I like your set up Mscriv so I may try it!

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Thank you both! I didn't know about the @googlemail trick and I like your set up Mscriv so I may try it!
Besides the googlemail trick, you can also use "plus aliases" with Gmail. This way you can generate an arbitrary number of distinct addresses from a single Gmail account, which can be used for multiple Apple accounts (I use this for a second Apple ID in Europe). E.g., you could use "traverse@gmail.com" and "traverse+icloud@gmail.com".

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Besides the googlemail trick, you can also use "plus aliases" with Gmail. This way you can generate an arbitrary number of distinct addresses from a single Gmail account, which can be used for multiple Apple accounts (I use this for a second Apple ID in Europe). E.g., you could use "traverse@gmail.com" and "traverse+icloud@gmail.com".

Thanks for the ideas!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Hi,

I've had one Apple ID for ages and used it to set up iCloud a while back. I've decided to use my iCloud email, but I messed up the address when I set it up. Since I can't change it I thought about making a new Apple ID for iCloud all together and using my older one for my iTunes purchases.

Do you do this? Does it work well?

Yeah....it works fine. Me and my wife have an account we share for apps and media. Then we both have separate accounts for mail, contacts, calendar, etc. Little extra work on the front end to set that up (and by that, I mean its one extra user id/password to enter), but nothing too bad or complicated.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Thank you both! I like your set up Mscriv so I may try it!

I've been searching for the best way to use multiple accounts and continue to seek out new tips and tricks. Keep in mind that you can only have one iCloud account logged into you computer (through System Preferences) at a time. However, in Mail and Calendar you can have both iCloud accounts set up. The only limitation this seems to cause is being able to save documents to iCloud. If being able to save files to both iCloud accounts simultaneously is a primary need for you guys then you will need to come up with a workflow/workaround for this.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I prefer 2 separate logins. One is for iCloud email, my iCloud backups, etc. This one has a long and complex password. The other is for stuff I buy in iTunes and I don't want to have to type a long password every time I buy a $0.99 (or even a FREE) app!

I know it takes a bit more work on my end to keep track of these 2 logins but I think it's worth it.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yep unfortunately I have a @hotmail iTunes account and an @me iCloud account. Drives me nuts!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.