Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMac25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
I just installed windows 7 64 bit on boot camp on my 2013 imac and got this score...

Processor - 7.7
Memory - 7.7
Graphics - 7.9
Gaming Graphics - 7.9
Primary Hard Disk - 5.9

Installing windows updates have been pretty slow and this has got me concerned. Have you all experienced the same thing loading windows on the mac?

I mainly installed windows for gaming since I heard it is better for FPS, but if it's not going to utilize the fusion drive and it's going to be this slow, is it better to install games on the OSX side?

Thanks for your time.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Windows games play better and there are more of them but...

- Depending on what Mac you have, most OS X games play well.
- I find it a pain to boot back and forth to Windows to game.
- The Windows partition eats into your hard disk space (may or may not be an issue).
- I found Steam has enough OS X games to keep me happy.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I do have a nice Windows gaming tower, but for lots of games I just use my brand new imac, it can't match the Windows tower in graphics on the latest games, and its not plugged into the same sound system, and its not in the man cave, but it works fairly well.

I personally take the 20 seconds to boot into Windows 7, just because so many games are optimized for Windows and they play much better on the same hardware.

I love OSX, but OSX simply is not a widely adopted platform among gamers, so it doesn't gain much traction. Windows is the way to go for desktop gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.