Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CSO11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
I just replaced my iphone 4 screen for having horizontal lines/flickering.
It still sort of had it after I replaced the screen (I replaced a few days ago) but really was just fine and today I thought maybe the screen cables were loose because after my phone died and I re-charged it, I got a fully white screen.
So I opened the phone up, unplugged battery, and re-sat the cables. Turned the iphone back on, now it has this obnoxious (pure white with burned keyboard showing) white flicker around the edges of the screen.
I've done the obvious:
I've tried turning off auto brightness/ adjusting brightness.
I've tried turning off/on.
I've tried restoring/updating.
re-checked that I didn't leave any cables loose
Any ideas? I've done this quite a few times and never had an issue. :confused:

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
I just replaced my iphone 4 screen for having horizontal lines/flickering.
It still sort of had it after I replaced the screen (I replaced a few days ago) but really was just fine and today I thought maybe the screen cables were loose because after my phone died and I re-charged it, I got a fully white screen.
So I opened the phone up, unplugged battery, and re-sat the cables. Turned the iphone back on, now it has this obnoxious (pure white with burned keyboard showing) white flicker around the edges of the screen.
I've done the obvious:
I've tried turning off auto brightness/ adjusting brightness.
I've tried turning off/on.
I've tried restoring/updating.
re-checked that I didn't leave any cables loose
Any ideas? I've done this quite a few times and never had an issue. :confused:

It sounds like you have a defective assembly. To be specific, the LCD seems to be defective. Is it a quality replacement part or a cheaper one? The cheaper assemblies use aftermarket LCD's which often have flickering, ghosting, and/ or a faded display.

See if the place you purchased it from will either swap it out or refund your purchase so you can shop elsewhere.

CSO11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
It sounds like you have a defective assembly. To be specific, the LCD seems to be defective. Is it a quality replacement part or a cheaper one? The cheaper assemblies use aftermarket LCD's which often have flickering, ghosting, and/ or a faded display.

See if the place you purchased it from will either swap it out or refund your purchase so you can shop elsewhere.

Thanks for replying, I contacted the seller and hopefully they will swap. I've had it for more than 14 day and wasn't able to put it on until a few days ago, but hopefully if they let me send it back and look at it themselves they'll be willing to send a new one even if It was more than a few days ago... because a screen shouldn't go out in that amount of time!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171014799056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This is the one I bought.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
Thanks for replying, I contacted the seller and hopefully they will swap. I've had it for more than 14 day and wasn't able to put it on until a few days ago, but hopefully if they let me send it back and look at it themselves they'll be willing to send a new one even if It was more than a few days ago... because a screen shouldn't go out in that amount of time!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171014799056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This is the one I bought.

At $28 I can 150% guarantee that the LCD display is aftermarket/ not original. They are selling assemblies at a cheaper price than we get high quality assemblies on bulk purchases (100 LCD digitizer assemblies or more.)

So you have to figure they are getting the assemblies for under $20 to make any profit after shipping. These assemblies are also referred to as grade "C" or low quality assemblies. Basically 100% low quality aftermarket parts (ie: Frame, flex cables, LCD, and Digitizer.)

Most of the times those sellers will not refund you after you have installed the item. They will say you should have tested it first. But you never know, maybe they'll swap it out for you or refund the purchase price.

Best of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.