Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
About 150 of 9122 of my songs in itunes have a 48 khz sample rate (as opposed to 44.1 khz). I had previously assumed that itunes or the computer would automatically change the output settings to 48 khz when those songs were played, but that is not the case. If I am listening to a single album at a time I can change the settings in audio midi setup, but that is not my preferred listening mode. I like to just set itunes on shuffle and let it be. When those 48 khz songs are played with the audio output set to 44.1 khz is there any sort of issues that might arise in terms of audio fidelity, or any other issues at all?

Pictures below to illustrate problem.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-03 at 7.59.01 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-03 at 7.59.01 AM.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 413
  • Screen shot 2013-08-03 at 7.59.28 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-03 at 7.59.28 AM.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Screen shot 2013-08-03 at 8.00.19 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-03 at 8.00.19 AM.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 218

Diastro

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Veldhoven, the Netherlands
I believe it doesn't matter. I do not know the exact science behind it, but I experienced no problems with my own setup, and that includes playback of files of various sample frequencies.

To explain:

I don't use my Mac's built-in sound card, I use an external one. A Focusrite Saffire PRO 40, which is used for recording with multiple microphones in my home studio.

I have it set to a fixed sample frequency of 48 kHz, because that's what I use the most.

I watch movies with this sound card too, which are mostly 48 kHz. However, I also listen to lots of music from iTunes and Spotify, which is all in 44.1.

Judging from this I assume Core Audio has real-time sample rate conversion built-in.

EDIT: Works the other way around too. Movies and YouTube videos are almost always 48 kHz because well, it's film. Your sound card set to 44.1 plays back just fine!

Also, there is one very obvious artifact of "wrong sample rate" playback: you will here a strange speed and pitch adjustment! You'll know when you hear it, cause it sounds weird as hell.

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
About 150 of 9122 of my songs in itunes have a 48 khz sample rate (as opposed to 44.1 khz). I had previously assumed that itunes or the computer would automatically change the output settings to 48 khz when those songs were played, but that is not the case.....

You are correct. The setting is not changed. What happens is that iTunes re-samples the song in real time. You can avoid the re-sampling by changing the setting by hand but that is a hassle and I doubt you'd notice the difference in the sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.