Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I have been experiencing a recurring issue with my new Airport Time Capsule and wondered if any one else has experience of this?

Quite often when I wake up my iMac (mid 2011 latest Mountain Lion) I get the dreaded "couldn't complete TM backup as backup disk not available", or something like that. Now I know that if I wait a few minutes I will hear the fan noise kick in from the TC (new vertical model) and then TM backup will complete without further issue.

I did use to get this occasionally when I used an external USB HD for TM backups but it is far more prevalent with the Airport TC.

I am using a gateway modem for the Internet with TC acting as full router. I have checked and rechecked settings and everything seems fine.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I'm absolutely amazed no one else has come across this issue before? Certainly there has been mention when I've done a search but no real solution put forward. I'm thinking it needs to go back to Apple for a replacement .

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I have been experiencing a recurring issue with my new Airport Time Capsule and wondered if any one else has experience of this?

Quite often when I wake up my iMac (mid 2011 latest Mountain Lion) I get the dreaded "couldn't complete TM backup as backup disk not available", or something like that. Now I know that if I wait a few minutes I will hear the fan noise kick in from the TC (new vertical model) and then TM backup will complete without further issue.

I did use to get this occasionally when I used an external USB HD for TM backups but it is far more prevalent with the Airport TC.

I am using a gateway modem for the Internet with TC acting as full router. I have checked and rechecked settings and everything seems fine.

Have you got any other macs and if so do they have the same problem?

Try setting your mac to NOT putting hard drives asleep when possible. I.e. un-tick it.

Also try giving your mac a run for a few days without it sleeping.

I am just wondering if it is the iMac sleep settings and not the TC.

If you still have the same problem while the mac is 'wide awake' and it is not putting hard drives to sleep then it may be an issue with the TC.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Is the connection between the iMac and TC Wi-Fi or Ethernet? If Wi-Fi you could be encountering transient connection errors (well, you could with a bad Ethernet cable too but not as likely). I agree with @Opinio's suggestions too.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Is the connection between the iMac and TC Wi-Fi or Ethernet? If Wi-Fi you could be encountering transient connection errors (well, you could with a bad Ethernet cable too but not as likely). I agree with @Opinio's suggestions too.

Always Ethernet. Gateway modem in Bridge mode with Apple TC acting as sole router.

----------

Have you got any other macs and if so do they have the same problem?

Try setting your mac to NOT putting hard drives asleep when possible. I.e. un-tick it.

Also try giving your mac a run for a few days without it sleeping.

I am just wondering if it is the iMac sleep settings and not the TC.

If you still have the same problem while the mac is 'wide awake' and it is not putting hard drives to sleep then it may be an issue with the TC.

Just the iMac. I will try not putting HD disk to sleep and monitor situation. As I said before it used to happen occasionally with USB external HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.