Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quasar~

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
I understand that with the current thunderbolt bandwidth is at 10 gbits/s, some gpus would be throttled down if it were used as an external gpu. When thunderbolt 2 comes out though, will a gpu such as an nvidia GeForce gtx 680 be able to be used to to its potential externally with a Mac mini or MacBook Pro hypothetically?

The gtx 680 uses pcie 3.0 and I don't think I've seen any external pcie enclosures support 3.0 x16.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I think that would be a fantastic idea, a way to solve some of the problems with apples lack of power under the hood.
Although I have to wonder what kind of cards you have in mind. Desktop cards? MXM cards?

I'm picturing a simple aluminum enclosure for a desktop GPU with a standard PCI 3.0 input for the GPU connected to a thunderbolt port which goes into the machine and a small external power supply not unlike some of the older external hard drives. Of course there would be access to the DVI/HDMI/MD/D ports but they'd likely go unused unless you run a second non-thunderbolt display.

The only downside would be the extra cords and space needed on the desktop to facilitate the card. A factor in its own right that would likely make most people turn up their noses.

quasar~

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
There already is a pcie 2.0 x16 external enclosure... But the thing is that it is a thousand bucks. I wonder when a pcie 3.0 version will come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.