[All iPads] iPad full size or Mini (if you could only have one)? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: If you could only have one, which iPad would you have?
Full size 76 52.05%
Mini 54 36.99%
I really don't know 16 10.96%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
ozaz
macrumors 6502a

iPad full size or Mini (if you could only have one)?

Please vote on what you feel is better for you personally, not what you think is better for average consumer.

Please base your vote on your own assumptions of likely specs for next gen devices (I guess coming out within a couple of months)

These polls tend to generate more votes (and therefore more balanced picture) if there is some discussion in the thread, therefore if you have time please post a comment on the reason for your choice.
ozaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

I voted full size because of my vision. I have 3 and a mini, and while I love the size weight of my mini I think I will have to dump it soon. I find that I'm having problems with the size of the fonts and when I use it too long I get headaches. I worry that it will impact my eyesight. The fact that its not retina doesn't seem to be an issue for me.
Ladybug is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:25 AM   #3
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a

I rarely use my iPad 4 now, and my Mini fits in my pocket (Dockers, size 34Wx32L ). The Mini is easier to hold, and my wife often watches Netflix in bed with her Mini...in my ear. I just bought a second Mini for her last week, and she keeps saying, "I never thought I'd like the Mini this much!" Her iPad 4 hasn't seen any use in the past week.
FrankB1191 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Night Spring
macrumors G3

I have both the mini and an ipad3. I like how light and compact the mini is, and it's the one I take when I go out, but at home I prefer the full size iPad. Aside from it being easier on my eyes, I find the larger size controls on the bigger iPad easier to use. It might not be an issue for people with normal muscle control, but for anybody with physical problems that affect their muscle movements or hand coordination, the bigger iPad is better. So basically, I am looking forward to the iPad 5. If it is significantly lighter as rumored, it would be the best of both worlds.
Night Spring is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 04:11 PM   #5
ozaz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
If it is significantly lighter as rumored, it would be the best of both worlds.
I hadn't been following the rumors, so that's good to learn. Hope it happens!
ozaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 02:30 AM   #6
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

If Ipad 5 is lighter and without the heat problem. It would be that best Ipad ever.

If Ipad mini 2 has retina, i would still go for the full size.
racoonboy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 02:50 AM   #7
Markyyy
macrumors regular

I've had a full size iPad 2 for the last 2 and a bit years. I think I'm going to get an iPad mini 2 as long as it's retina. I'm hoping I will be able to use it in my hands, because I have to rest the iPad2 on something when I'm using it for more than a few minutes.

(I usually have to sit down on the couch and have my legs bent with my knees upwards and rest it on my lap. I'm hoping the iPad mini will be as light as the current iPad mini, if not lighter)

It's a difficult decision for me to make. I wanted something more portable, but I doubt I'd be taking the mini with me anywhere anyway.
Markyyy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:51 AM   #8
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Mini. Everywhere I go.
JackieInCo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:31 PM   #9
SamuraiMinis
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to SamuraiMinis
I plan on getting the iPad 5.
The screen size will be nicer to use with my large hands. I also want the power the full sized iPad has. The mini is more of a budget device in apple terms. So it is likely to always get the previous generation processor from the iPhone. Just as the first mini did.

My main reason is the bigger screen size though.
SamuraiMinis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:33 AM   #10
12vElectronics
macrumors 6502a

Mini for sure
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Sparticu$
macrumors member

Full size. The screen is much much better and it's got a better processor.
Sparticu$ is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:22 PM   #12
SusanK
macrumors 6502a

Not pleased with my mini. First Apple product I wish I had not purchased.

-Henry Ford
SusanK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:29 PM   #13
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Love my Mini, but could happily go back to the iPad 5 if the weight loss is substantial enough. The 3rd gen I have is just too uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.

Retina iPad Mini Vs. iPad 5 slimmed down would be a really tough choice though!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:32 PM   #14
EricJD
macrumors regular

Mini, but I'm still using my full size iPad waiting for a retina mini.
EricJD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:54 PM   #15
Shanghaichica
macrumors 6502a

Well I have an ipad mini and a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1. I prefer the ipad because it's ios but when I'm home I prefer watching videos on the galaxy tab because it has a bigger screen. I only prefer the bigger tablet for watching videos, for everything else I prefer the mini.
Shanghaichica is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 05:22 PM   #16
arefbe
macrumors regular

Full-size. But ask again after a retina iPad mini comes out.
arefbe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:51 AM   #17
silvershamrock
macrumors member

Mini for me. I already have the MBA, so I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of a tablet which is only marginally smaller and lighter than my computer is. Besides, any tablet I get will need to fit inside my purse, and be light enough to not put a strain on my arthritic wrists.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:25 PM   #18
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

full size. although the mini seems convenient, my iPad is my primary computing device for day to day stuff (browsing...paying bills, facebook, emails etc). the macbook barely gets any use for that. I also use the ipad for reading lots of PDFs (doing my postgrad).
The iPad mini's weight is nice, but the screen is non retina...and even then, not sure if i want my primary computing device to be only 8" wide...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 02:16 PM   #19
Noctilux.95
macrumors 6502

I plan on getting an iPad Mini (Retina only) and keeping my iPad 4. The 4 will be for home use and client photo presentation (I'm a photographer), and the Mini for the road. Best of both worlds.
Noctilux.95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 02:32 PM   #20
mrcam216
macrumors newbie

Regular ipad all day and all night. Bigger screen, better screen quality, when I'm with clients, easier to show my work, better for viewing movies and the list goes on. Once the ipad 5 comes out, I will have it on launch day, the only thing better would be if it's light weight like the mini and also maybe a smaller frame like suggested.

www.cameronrphotography.com
mrcam216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 02:53 PM   #21
Razzosinni
macrumors newbie

A full-size iPad is gorgeous. While I enjoy portability, I really do believe that "bigger is better". The Mini seems a little bit too tiny for a tablet. But that's just me, I like bigger screens.
Razzosinni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:58 PM   #22
GreatDrok
macrumors 6502

The mini - it does everything the full size does but is much more portable. Screen size isn't an issue because I can hold it a little closer. I still have my original iPad 1 in daily use at home but it never leaves the house. It is just the right size for watching videos on when I'm exercising because it rests on the top of my orbital trainer but other than that I always use the mini.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:07 PM   #23
ratigator
macrumors member

This is a tough decision. I had a full-sized iPad, but then I got my hands on a mini, and it made the iPad 3 seem too bulky. I sold the iPad 3 when I learned about the upcoming slimmer/more awesome iPad 5. Now I'm waiting on the iPad 5 or the rMini - still don't know which I'll go with. It's a tough life.
ratigator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 01:46 AM   #24
ozaz
macrumors 6502a

Good to see poll has reached 100 votes - gives a bit of confidence in the result.

I'm a bit surprised to see the full size has more votes than the mini. It had seemed to me that those who own both often comment that they stop using their full size ipad rather than the other way round.

Personally, I slightly favour the full size, although I have not yet owned a mini. I generally don't mind carrying it around daily as my only device. The exception is when I need to carry a laptop too. In that situation I think would prefer to have a mini. I suppose what may be nice is a mini which could dock into a 10" screen and battery encasement when needed. Doesn't sound like something Apple would make, but I wonder if an Android device with such a design would be released.
ozaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 03:07 AM   #25
McBeats
macrumors 6502a

I'll finally be N41 as soon as the 5 comes out. Since it's my first, and there is retina, the full size is my pick. Gotta love that big screen.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
ios, ipad, ipad mini