Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you could only have one, which iPad would you have?

• Full size

Votes: 76 52.1%
  • Mini

Votes: 54 37.0%
  • I really don't know

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Please vote on what you feel is better for you personally, not what you think is better for average consumer.

Please base your vote on your own assumptions of likely specs for next gen devices (I guess coming out within a couple of months)

These polls tend to generate more votes (and therefore more balanced picture) if there is some discussion in the thread, therefore if you have time please post a comment on the reason for your choice.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I voted full size because of my vision. I have 3 and a mini, and while I love the size weight of my mini I think I will have to dump it soon. I find that I'm having problems with the size of the fonts and when I use it too long I get headaches. I worry that it will impact my eyesight. The fact that its not retina doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I rarely use my iPad 4 now, and my Mini fits in my pocket (Dockers, size 34Wx32L :D ). The Mini is easier to hold, and my wife often watches Netflix in bed with her Mini...in my ear. I just bought a second Mini for her last week, and she keeps saying, "I never thought I'd like the Mini this much!" Her iPad 4 hasn't seen any use in the past week.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have both the mini and an ipad3. I like how light and compact the mini is, and it's the one I take when I go out, but at home I prefer the full size iPad. Aside from it being easier on my eyes, I find the larger size controls on the bigger iPad easier to use. It might not be an issue for people with normal muscle control, but for anybody with physical problems that affect their muscle movements or hand coordination, the bigger iPad is better. So basically, I am looking forward to the iPad 5. If it is significantly lighter as rumored, it would be the best of both worlds.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If Ipad 5 is lighter and without the heat problem. It would be that best Ipad ever.

If Ipad mini 2 has retina, i would still go for the full size.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
I've had a full size iPad 2 for the last 2 and a bit years. I think I'm going to get an iPad mini 2 as long as it's retina. I'm hoping I will be able to use it in my hands, because I have to rest the iPad2 on something when I'm using it for more than a few minutes.

(I usually have to sit down on the couch and have my legs bent with my knees upwards and rest it on my lap. I'm hoping the iPad mini will be as light as the current iPad mini, if not lighter)

It's a difficult decision for me to make. I wanted something more portable, but I doubt I'd be taking the mini with me anywhere anyway.

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
I plan on getting the iPad 5.
The screen size will be nicer to use with my large hands. I also want the power the full sized iPad has. The mini is more of a budget device in apple terms. So it is likely to always get the previous generation processor from the iPhone. Just as the first mini did.

My main reason is the bigger screen size though.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Not pleased with my mini. First Apple product I wish I had not purchased.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Love my Mini, but could happily go back to the iPad 5 if the weight loss is substantial enough. The 3rd gen I have is just too uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.

Retina iPad Mini Vs. iPad 5 slimmed down would be a really tough choice though!:p

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well I have an ipad mini and a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1. I prefer the ipad because it's ios but when I'm home I prefer watching videos on the galaxy tab because it has a bigger screen. I only prefer the bigger tablet for watching videos, for everything else I prefer the mini.

silvershamrock

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Mini for me. I already have the MBA, so I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of a tablet which is only marginally smaller and lighter than my computer is. Besides, any tablet I get will need to fit inside my purse, and be light enough to not put a strain on my arthritic wrists.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
full size. although the mini seems convenient, my iPad is my primary computing device for day to day stuff (browsing...paying bills, facebook, emails etc). the macbook barely gets any use for that. I also use the ipad for reading lots of PDFs (doing my postgrad).
The iPad mini's weight is nice, but the screen is non retina...and even then, not sure if i want my primary computing device to be only 8" wide...

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
I plan on getting an iPad Mini (Retina only) and keeping my iPad 4. The 4 will be for home use and client photo presentation (I'm a photographer), and the Mini for the road. Best of both worlds.

mrcam216

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
Regular ipad all day and all night. Bigger screen, better screen quality, when I'm with clients, easier to show my work, better for viewing movies and the list goes on. Once the ipad 5 comes out, I will have it on launch day, the only thing better would be if it's light weight like the mini and also maybe a smaller frame like suggested.

Razzosinni

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2013
A full-size iPad is gorgeous. While I enjoy portability, I really do believe that "bigger is better". The Mini seems a little bit too tiny for a tablet. But that's just me, I like bigger screens. :)

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
The mini - it does everything the full size does but is much more portable. Screen size isn't an issue because I can hold it a little closer. I still have my original iPad 1 in daily use at home but it never leaves the house. It is just the right size for watching videos on when I'm exercising because it rests on the top of my orbital trainer but other than that I always use the mini.

ratigator

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Michigan, USA
This is a tough decision. I had a full-sized iPad, but then I got my hands on a mini, and it made the iPad 3 seem too bulky. I sold the iPad 3 when I learned about the upcoming slimmer/more awesome iPad 5. Now I'm waiting on the iPad 5 or the rMini - still don't know which I'll go with. It's a tough life.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Good to see poll has reached 100 votes - gives a bit of confidence in the result.

I'm a bit surprised to see the full size has more votes than the mini. It had seemed to me that those who own both often comment that they stop using their full size ipad rather than the other way round.

Personally, I slightly favour the full size, although I have not yet owned a mini. I generally don't mind carrying it around daily as my only device. The exception is when I need to carry a laptop too. In that situation I think would prefer to have a mini. I suppose what may be nice is a mini which could dock into a 10" screen and battery encasement when needed. Doesn't sound like something Apple would make, but I wonder if an Android device with such a design would be released.

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
I'll finally be N41 as soon as the 5 comes out. Since it's my first, and there is retina, the full size is my pick. Gotta love that big screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.