Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Just trying to vectorize a logo from an existing image:

http://www.gcicom.net/assets/images/client/Go-Outdoors.gif

I have tried online tools and Adobe Fireworks, just wondering whats the best (easy to use) tool for the job?

Obviously all I want is the colours and not the 3D effect, guessing the best format for it would be .eps or .ai

Any help, instructions or guides welcome, I am really struggling with this :(

Thanks in Advance!

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
If you wish to vectorize it you would have to recreate it entirely in Illustrator.

If you feel uncomfortable with the tools you should hire a proffessional.

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
If they have a PDF brochure or similar with the logo it may be possible to rip a vector version from it.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
If you don't have illustrator try Inskcape, it's free and will allow you to trace and save out as an EPS file.

I wouldn't use Fireworks or Photoshop for vectoring due to the tools just aren't great for vectorizing.

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
The best way to tackle this is to redraw it using Illustrator. It would take around 30 minutes to an hour for an experienced user to do a decent job. If you like I will do it for you, for some compensation. What do you think it's worth?:)

thekingofnerds

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
As others have said - redraw it. Either you can do this yourself, or just pay someone $20 on oDesk or one of the other popular freelance sites to do it.

There's not much to it though - just some shapes and a little beveling.

mumph

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Just out of curiosity, why do you need the Go Outdoors logo?

The best way to tackle this is to redraw it using Illustrator. It would take around 30 minutes to an hour for an experienced user to do a decent job. If you like I will do it for you, for some compensation. What do you think it's worth?:)

5 minutes max ;)

Last edited:

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
It's pretty straightforward, but you'll need Photoshop (or similar raster editing app) along with Illustrator (or other vector editing app).

1. Figure out what font's being used (Helvetica Black).

2. Sample and note color values for background and mountains.

3. In Photoshop, select the white boundaries of mountains and save them to new layers, then export as TIFs.

4. Save original image as a TIF.

5. In Illustrator, import original image.

6. Create oval and color it the blue shade from step 2.

7. Add text.

8. Import mountain boundaries into Illustrator. Use Live Trace to create vector outlines.

9. Create mountain shapes using pen tool and add color using values from step 2.

10. Use Illustrator's 3D Extrude & Bevel effect on mountain shapes, text and oval.

11. Make the oval a clipping mask so that everything outside the oval's boundary disappears.

Done.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
Lots of ways. I use old software so I will not cite the versions..
1) make the sections in Photoshop , convert them to paths and export them out as postscript to Illustrator for example. Assemble the various paths in register and clean up manually
2) If you're good at it, use an autotrace tool in your fave vector applications, and clean up by hand
3) redraw all the objects in your fav vector app
4) Lazy way. Sent the art to Bangladesh and have them do it for about $5.00 :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.