Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 4, 2013, 03:02 PM   #1
That-Guy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Light Weight Customer Database

Not sure if such a thing exists but I am looking for a light weight Customer Database script which I can host myself.

It only needs to be basic and have two main features be responsive/mobile friendly and allow you to add custom fields.

I have found something similar to what I am looking for here. The only problem is it doesn't seem to have been updated for years and is not mobile friendly. But this gives you an idea of what I am looking for.

I did think about trying to use Wordpress, but we would need to add/update customer info without logging into the WP Admin Panel.

It also has to be web based as the computers we are using are locked down to stop things being installed, we have a less than understanding IT Department

Any help and suggestions would be great
__________________
Mac Mini Late 2012 - 2.5GHz Core i5 - 16gb RAM - 250gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD + 500gb HDD
iPhone 5S | iPad Air | Apple TV 3rd Gen | Airport Express 3rd Gen
Website | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 04:03 PM   #2
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000
 
SrWebDeveloper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA, USA
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
we would need to add/update customer info without logging into the WP Admin Panel. It also has to be web based.
So you want a web based GUI to manage database records but NOT have to login to an admin interface thus exposing the world to your sensitive data???

Unless I am seriously misunderstanding you, that can't be right. Right?
__________________
Jim Goldbloom
Sr. Web Developer, owner GoldTechPro, LLC
http://www.GoldTechPro.com
SrWebDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 04:08 PM   #3
That-Guy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
I want a login just not into the WP Admin Panel, it over complicates things.

Just want to be able log in via Mobile or PC and be there ready to either browse records or add to database.
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:31 PM   #4
960design
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Destin, FL
1) Read up on WordPress Custom Fields.
2) Use the latest 2013 theme for 'responsive' capability.
3) Find a free (or paid) front-end login plugin

If you need a custom plugin with custom database tables any developer could crank a simple CRUD ( create / read / update / delete ) with a custom front-end login in about four hours.
__________________
TI-99/4A, tape cassette, 12" B&W Zenith

Last edited by 960design; Aug 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: formatted response for easier readability
960design is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:29 AM   #5
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000
 
SrWebDeveloper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA, USA
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 960design View Post
1) Read up on WordPress Custom Fields.
2) Use the latest 2013 theme for 'responsive' capability.
3) Find a free (or paid) front-end login plugin

If you need a custom plugin with custom database tables any developer could crank a simple CRUD ( create / read / update / delete ) with a custom front-end login in about four hours.
Superb recommendation and resolution path, thanks for joining in, 960design.

One minor thought - maybe it's best to say "with minimal level of effort for an experienced developer" instead of any developer in about 4 hrs. If it takes much longer than x hours due to customizations and don't forget styling and testing, clients can get frustrated (to put it mildly).
__________________
Jim Goldbloom
Sr. Web Developer, owner GoldTechPro, LLC
http://www.GoldTechPro.com
SrWebDeveloper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:32 AM   #6
960design
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Destin, FL
Too right you are SrWebDeveloper.

The timeframe is an estimate. I just wanted the OP to weigh the time/cost ratio with developing their own Vs hiring a pro. I didn't want them hiring a local wahoo and them estimating 40 hours for the job.

For example it could take 10 or more hours just to find and test login plugins until you find one that works for your application. Or you could get lucky and find the right one on your first try.

As a final caveat a pro developer will create exactly what you want in less time, but we charge more per hour... me estimating again, I'd put it at the $70US to $100US per hour.

Styling will take the most time. I find that storyboards and core code takes about 50% of the development time. The other 50% is tweaking a pixel here and there.
__________________
TI-99/4A, tape cassette, 12" B&W Zenith
960design is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Ap0ks
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Not sure if such a thing exists but I am looking for a light weight Customer Database script which I can host myself.

It only needs to be basic and have two main features be responsive/mobile friendly and allow you to add custom fields.

I have found something similar to what I am looking for here. The only problem is it doesn't seem to have been updated for years and is not mobile friendly. But this gives you an idea of what I am looking for.

I did think about trying to use Wordpress, but we would need to add/update customer info without logging into the WP Admin Panel.

It also has to be web based as the computers we are using are locked down to stop things being installed, we have a less than understanding IT Department

Any help and suggestions would be great
You should check out Podio, it's free for teams of up-to 5 users, allows you to create customised "apps" for various data items and all web-based with mobile apps for iOS and Android.

We use it at work for project management, customer relations and a host of other stuff. Should be able to do exactly what you want it to.

Edit: it's a hosted service so can't be hosted by yourself though.

Last edited by Ap0ks; Aug 9, 2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Missed important caveat in OP
Ap0ks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Consultant
macrumors G5
 
Consultant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
.
1. Create custom user class in WP
2. Set rules so they don't see WP admin features
3. Rebrand WP admin interface with your own company name

All can be done with free WP plugins

You still have to log in (otherwise you have no security), but most users don't get to see or touch WP admin
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:56 PM   #9
That-Guy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Thanks for all the suggestions people, think I will be giving Podio a try.

I may even be able to move other tasks/lists and databases to it.

Only hope the only Intel Celeron machines with Windows XP Embedded will load the site at a half decent speed

Will report back with Pros and Cons!
__________________
Mac Mini Late 2012 - 2.5GHz Core i5 - 16gb RAM - 250gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD + 500gb HDD
iPhone 5S | iPad Air | Apple TV 3rd Gen | Airport Express 3rd Gen
Website | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best light-weight CMS? calvol Web Design and Development 18 Dec 31, 2013 12:07 PM
Light-weight speaker recommendations? divergirl Mac mini 3 Aug 10, 2013 08:23 AM
Light weight Photo browsing tool on Mac? oldguru Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Apr 7, 2013 03:12 AM
Light weight monitor on top of a Mac Mini... MrXiro Mac mini 13 Dec 1, 2012 07:02 PM
iPhone 5 is Super light. Doesn't have the weight the 4s had. Purplekz iPhone 5 Sep 21, 2012 11:06 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC