Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:09 AM   #1
petvas
macrumors 68040
 
petvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Send a message via AIM to petvas
Keyboard colors

Hi all,

I have a question about the color of the keyboard in iOS 7. I don't understand the logic that makes the keyboard color change.
When I am at the home screen and if I want to bring up the keyboard by doing a search, the keyboard is dark grey. When I am in any of the new 1st party apps, the keyboard is white. In the AppStore it seems to be dark gray again. What is the logic?
I like the dark keyboard much better and I would love to have it as standard...
Can someone explain the logic behind it? Thanks.
__________________
petvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Armen
macrumors 68030
 
Armen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
Hi all,

I have a question about the color of the keyboard in iOS 7. I don't understand the logic that makes the keyboard color change.
When I am at the home screen and if I want to bring up the keyboard by doing a search, the keyboard is dark grey. When I am in any of the new 1st party apps, the keyboard is white. In the AppStore it seems to be dark gray again. What is the logic?
I like the dark keyboard much better and I would love to have it as standard...
Can someone explain the logic behind it? Thanks.
if you're seeing anything other than a grey keyboard that specific app is not updated for iOS 7 yet. At least this seems to be the case with every 3rd party app I've used.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB Black (A1429); Mid 2013 Macbook Pro 8GB, 500GB; iPad Mini, 1st Gen Apple TV
Armen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 01:00 AM   #3
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
if you're seeing anything other than a grey keyboard that specific app is not updated for iOS 7 yet. At least this seems to be the case with every 3rd party app I've used.
i know what hes talking about. like in messages app, its light grey with white keys. and in other apps, i recall seeing it darker....almost black. but i forget which apps that was.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 6, 128GB Space Grey
iPad Mini 16GB Black, iPad 1 32 GB Black
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 01:27 AM   #4
petvas
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
petvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Send a message via AIM to petvas
I am not talking about 3rd party apps. I am talking about 1st party apps and the OS itself. Have a look here:
The first screenshot shows the search dialog in iOS 7. Look at the keyboard.

Now, have a look at the second screenshot. I am creating a new note. Look at the keyboard. The question is simple: What is the logic behind the color change? Why not always have the same keyboard color?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	426646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	426647  
__________________
petvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 01:33 AM   #5
Armen
macrumors 68030
 
Armen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
I am not talking about 3rd party apps. I am talking about 1st party apps and the OS itself. Have a look here:
The first screenshot shows the search dialog in iOS 7. Look at the keyboard.

Now, have a look at the second screenshot. I am creating a new note. Look at the keyboard. The question is simple: What is the logic behind the color change? Why not always have the same keyboard color?
It must be some new design logic just like the dock changing colors according to background or icon text.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB Black (A1429); Mid 2013 Macbook Pro 8GB, 500GB; iPad Mini, 1st Gen Apple TV
Armen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 01:42 AM   #6
petvas
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
petvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Send a message via AIM to petvas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
It must be some new design logic just like the dock changing colors according to background or icon text.
It must be the transparency I guess, but still I think it is too much. I will try disabling the transparency just to test what happens.
__________________
petvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 01:45 AM   #7
petvas
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
petvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Send a message via AIM to petvas
I disabled transparency and I still get two different colors, so it is not just an effect, depending on the background color:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	426650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	426651  
__________________
petvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:17 AM   #8
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
This is not new to iOS 7. There was always a black keyboard in previous iOS. Black with white keys, instead of the standard gray keyboard. It only showed up at very specific times, though I don't recall exactly when.

I greatly preferred the black keyboard but unfortunately there is no option outside of jailbreaking.
DDustiNN is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:23 AM   #9
petvas
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
petvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Send a message via AIM to petvas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
This is not new to iOS 7. There was always a black keyboard in previous iOS. Black with white keys, instead of the standard gray keyboard. It only showed up at very specific times, though I don't recall exactly when.

I greatly preferred the black keyboard but unfortunately there is no option outside of jailbreaking.
It is new to iOS 7. I have never seen a black keyboard in iOS 6. Do you jailbreak your device?
__________________
petvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:40 AM   #10
snappyfool
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
It is new to iOS 7. I have never seen a black keyboard in iOS 6. Do you jailbreak your device?
The keyboard background is a dark transparent in the App Store in iOS 6. When you type a password for a purchase.
snappyfool is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:57 AM   #11
virginblue4
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
It is new to iOS 7. I have never seen a black keyboard in iOS 6. Do you jailbreak your device?
No, it's not new to iOS 7. the keyboard that you typed your password in when purchasing apps was always black compared to the usual grey keyboard.
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.0.2
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.0.2
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:27 AM   #12
petvas
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
petvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Send a message via AIM to petvas
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
No, it's not new to iOS 7. the keyboard that you typed your password in when purchasing apps was always black compared to the usual grey keyboard.
Well, I don't remember it like that. In iOS 7 it seems a big difference compared to the previous version. I prefer the darker keyboard and I don't understand why we have both.
__________________
petvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:59 AM   #13
ominx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I think it works like this...

White keys are used when within an app window (disregard 3rd party for now).

Black keys are used when no app window exists.

Hope that makes sense.
ominx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:41 AM   #14
petvas
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
petvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Send a message via AIM to petvas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ominx View Post
I think it works like this...

White keys are used when within an app window (disregard 3rd party for now).

Black keys are used when no app window exists.

Hope that makes sense.
If it is like you say, what is the point really? I mean, it doesn't bother me. I just don't see the added value in having two different keyboard colors.
__________________
petvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:42 AM   #15
Tyler23
macrumors 601
 
Tyler23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
If it is like you say, what is the point really? I mean, it doesn't bother me. I just don't see the added value in having two different keyboard colors.
Aesthetics?

Personally, I think the white keyboard would look terrible on the home screen search function, and black would look awful in messages.

Seems perfect the way it is.
Tyler23 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:04 AM   #16
nikicampos
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
It is new to iOS 7. I have never seen a black keyboard in iOS 6. Do you jailbreak your device?
It's not new to iOS 7, in past iOS's there were some native apps that used the black keyboard.
nikicampos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Runt888
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
My guess would be it has to do with the overall aesthetic of the app. Messages, mail, etc are largely white, so having a black keyboard would look terrible - especially with transparency enabled.

Also, a black keyboard has been an option available to developers since iOS 5.
Runt888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:19 PM   #18
virginblue4
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
Well, I don't remember it like that. In iOS 7 it seems a big difference compared to the previous version. I prefer the darker keyboard and I don't understand why we have both.
The reason we have both if because the different coloured keyboard suit different apps. For example, the dark keyboard in the notes app would just look stupid.

Here are the grey and black keyboards from iOS 6 and below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iOS-Keyboard-Tips-iPhone-4.png
Views:	19
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	426756   Click image for larger version

Name:	PasswordPilot-iOS 6.x-Jailbreak-Must-have-Tweaks.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	426757  
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.0.2
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.0.2
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:24 PM   #19
batting1000
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Whatever is behind the keyboard affects its color. In the first image of Spotlight, your wallpaper is dark making the keyboard dark as well. In the second picture of the Notes app, the background is white making the keyboard white / light as well.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
The reason we have both if because the different coloured keyboard suit different apps. For example, the dark keyboard in the notes app would just look stupid.

Here are the grey and black keyboards from iOS 6 and below:
You can see that the keyboard in the App Store picture is tinted and transparent. The one on the left isn't transparent.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 6 (4.7") - iOS 8.1
iPad Air - iOS 8.1
Late 2012 i5 Mac mini
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:12 PM   #20
C DM
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
The reason we have both if because the different coloured keyboard suit different apps. For example, the dark keyboard in the notes app would just look stupid.

Here are the grey and black keyboards from iOS 6 and below:
If that's the difference between the two pre-iOS 7 then it's not really close to what it's like in iOS 7 now where it's not just the background color of the keyboard that changes, but the keys and their lables too, which is a much bigger change/difference than before.
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:46 PM   #21
virginblue4
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
If that's the difference between the two pre-iOS 7 then it's not really close to what it's like in iOS 7 now where it's not just the background color of the keyboard that changes, but the keys and their lables too, which is a much bigger change/difference than before.
While I agree it is a bigger difference in iOS 7, the point is, there were still two different keyboards in iOS 6 as there are in iOS 7, regardless of the degree of change.
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.0.2
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.0.2
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:17 PM   #22
hamiltonDSi
macrumors 65816
 
hamiltonDSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oradea (BH), Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
It is new to iOS 7. I have never seen a black keyboard in iOS 6. Do you jailbreak your device?
It is not new. The iPad has a dark keyboard in iOS 6.

__________________
15" Macbook Pro with Retina Display.
iPhone 6. iPad Air. iPod Nano 2nd gen.
Apple TV 3rd gen. AirPort Extreme 802.11 ac.
hamiltonDSi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:58 PM   #23
JoeyCloverfield
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Developers choose what color the keyboard is. It's always been this way. Apple just modified the skin on iOS 7.

Quote:
[textView setKeyboardAppearance:UIKeyboardAppearanceDefault]; // Gray
[textView setKeyboardAppearance:UIKeyboardAppearanceAlert]; // Black
JoeyCloverfield is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:47 PM   #24
nikicampos
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1000 View Post
Whatever is behind the keyboard affects its color. In the first image of Spotlight, your wallpaper is dark making the keyboard dark as well. In the second picture of the Notes app, the background is white making the keyboard white / light as well.
I don't think that's actually true, the dark keyboard in Spotlight is dark even with a white wallpaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6929.PNG
Views:	8
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	426840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6930.PNG
Views:	5
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	426841  
nikicampos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:12 PM   #25
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
It is new to iOS 7. I have never seen a black keyboard in iOS 6. Do you jailbreak your device?
No, a dark version of the keyboard is not new, and it has nothing to do with jailbreaking.

In previous iOS versions, it seemed to happen most when typing somewhere that wasn't in a fixed view. For example, maybe a UIAlertView popup asking you to enter your password.
DDustiNN is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12 Colors sigumah iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 May 4, 2014 10:58 AM
Old colors vs New Colors (5 vs 5s) noobinator iPhone 6 Sep 12, 2013 09:17 AM
Same Colors TrenttonY iOS 7 6 Jun 4, 2013 04:27 PM
Colors? BLOND37 iPad 35 Oct 23, 2012 04:07 AM
App specific iOS 6 status bar and keyboard colors WJKramer iOS 6 7 Sep 6, 2012 03:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC