Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 16, 2005, 07:31 AM   #1
Crusty
macrumors newbie

What if my new Powerbook 15" have The Lines?

To make a long story short, I recently decided to take the plunge and switch from PC to Mac. I decided on a 15" Powerbook for it's mobility figuring I could hook it up to my old monitor and keyboard when used stationary at home.

I ordered it online from the Apple Store with the only option being the 100Gb 7200RPM harddrive and it shipped on the 12 november. Being in europe I suppose I'll have to wait a few weeks for it to arrive. In the meantime I read up on Macs since I'm almost completely new to them personally only to discover a forum thread on this very board where people report they're having problems with the new high resolution screen on the 15".

What should I do?
  • Should I wait and hope for the best (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)?
  • Should I call Apple and try to cancel the order?
    • If I cancel, should I try to get reimbursed and forget this ever happened?
    • Or should I try to arrange a swap to another model?

I'm not in any real hurry, but I don't want to have to return it and wait for a replacement unit which also might have problems. If the replacement takes as much time as this one it could take months before this is sorted out (or I give up).

I wouldn't want to switch to another model either. The 17" is too big and the 12" has a clearly inferior screen (on paper) as well as not being as feature rich as the 15"/17".

Help me please, what should I do?
Crusty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 07:40 AM   #2
Deepdale
macrumors 68000

While there is a lengthy thread on the issue of the lines on the screens of the new 15" PB's, not every purchaser has experienced that problem. In fact, some posters have generously praised their screens. Before getting ahead of a problem that may not affect you, wait until it arrives and then check it carefully.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 07:40 AM   #3
Melkor
macrumors 6502

I'm waiting and hoping for the best. If it's less than perfect, ill just return it and get my money back
Old Nov 16, 2005, 07:45 AM   #4
Crusty
macrumors newbie

Yeah, I know I shouldn't get upset about something that might not occur.

This wouldn't be such a big deal to me if there was a way to fix the problem and the turnaround time on the fix wasn't so long but right now that's not the case.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 07:52 AM   #5
Deepdale
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty
This wouldn't be such a big deal to me if there was a way to fix the problem and the turnaround time on the fix wasn't so long but right now that's not the case.
The time frame for resolving issues like this can be a real problem, but your status as a satisfied customer should be the end goal of a company like Apple. I hope you catch a good break when your computer arrives.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 09:36 AM   #6
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

I recently ordered a 15" without doing my research (I didn't know about the line issue!! ) and now I'm absolutely kicking myself because as of this morning it's shipping and I can't cancel!!

This problem seems to be so wide-spread that the odds of getting a perfect screen are slim-to-none...
Old Nov 16, 2005, 02:57 PM   #7
gavinsan
macrumors newbie

i'm a little worried too... i'm gonna buy in a fnac store (i'm waiting for the new models... they only have the old rev ones... "i love portugal" cof) and i don't know if they return the powerbook if it has the lines or deadpixel etc....

we don't have *apple stores here (well, just one, ant its a 5 to 6 hour travel... so...)

i'm desperate

* (oops)

Last edited by gavinsan; Nov 16, 2005 at 03:12 PM.
gavinsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 03:10 PM   #8
Crusty
macrumors newbie

There's no Apple Store near where I live either.

I've decided not to cancel my order. I'll just have to decide when the day comes what to do if the screen has the artifacts.

I'm going to have to decide what to do with the 2Gb of memory I recieved today for the 15". I won't be able to return it if this process takes too long and it won't fit the 12" which would be my last resort.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 04:44 PM   #9
tobio
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to tobio
Problems like this only appear widespread, as people with problem displays shout louder than people with perfect ones. Wait until yours arrive, the chances are that your laptops will be from a later batch and be absolutely perfect.

Of course if they aren't perfect on delivery get straight to the store and demand it fixed (if the store is near you) or get on the phone to the customer service number (their hold music is pretty good) and demand it be fixed replaced or refunded.
tobio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 05:15 PM   #10
zooey74
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobio
Problems like this only appear widespread, as people with problem displays shout louder than people with perfect ones.
But I think this one appears widespread b/c it is widespread. There has been, to my knowledge, no confirmation or proof of people buying the new revision 15" PBs and not having the lines. But there has been much evidence of displays with the lines. I have an Apple Store right up the road from me and the lines are on both the 15" display models, but not on the 17 or 12s.

I'm in the same boast as the OP, I decided to take the plunge on my first mac but after hearing about all of the problems I'm uncertain of what to do.
zooey74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 01:54 AM   #11
Crusty
macrumors newbie

I'm not too terribly picky and won't be using it for graphics work (not professionally anyway) so the lines might not affect me while I'm developing, surfing and reading email on it.

However, as someone posted in the lines thread, I do expect quality in a professional grade computer costing $2800. Yes it costs that much over here.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:26 AM   #12
generik
Banned

It is really subjective, but in the course of being a MR forumer, I also discovered...

a corner of my screen is darker
when I watch dvds my screen flickers occasionally for no reason
and yes, if I am being anal about it and really look closely I can see the lines.

Personally I don't care now, I will probably just take the loss and sell it on eBay in a few weeks in time for MWSF. You might have different needs and should reassess your purchase accordingly.
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:27 AM   #13
generik
Banned

Quote:
I'm not too terribly picky and won't be using it for graphics work (not professionally anyway) so the lines might not affect me while I'm developing, surfing and reading email on it.

However, as someone posted in the lines thread, I do expect quality in a professional grade computer costing $2800. Yes it costs that much over here.
Australian dollars?
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:45 AM   #14
Crusty
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by generik
Australian dollars?
No, that's in US dollars. Just shy of €2400 for you europeans.

To add insult to injury we're also taxed the most in all the world(Gooo Sweden!). Income is taxed somewhere between 30-50% and sales are taxed 25%.

But I'm not bitter. Really.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:51 AM   #15
generik
Banned

25% sales tax?!

Wow, that's insane!@!!@! I rather fly to US and do my shopping there!
Old Nov 17, 2005, 06:37 AM   #16
gammamonk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No, that's in US dollars. Just shy of 2400 for you europeans.

To add insult to injury we're also taxed the most in all the world(Gooo Sweden!). Income is taxed somewhere between 30-50% and sales are taxed 25%.

Yeah, but you have free University.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 09:01 AM   #17
Will Cheyney
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Will Cheyney Send a message via MSN to Will Cheyney
If it's anything less than perfect, return it. Apple will send out a new one and contact you within 5 days of receipt to arrange collection of the old one.
- I liked having two G5's in my room
Old Nov 17, 2005, 09:03 AM   #18
mikeSkull
macrumors newbie

I've just had my powerbok colllected today (it had the lines).
I had to send the old one back before they will ship the new one.

So now I wait to see if the new one 'has lines' too
Old Nov 17, 2005, 09:10 AM   #19
Will Cheyney
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Will Cheyney Send a message via MSN to Will Cheyney
See, I insisted that I kept hold of the other machine whilst I waited for delivery of the new one. I told them that I needed a computer to run my business!
Old Nov 17, 2005, 01:17 PM   #20
Temujin
macrumors 6502a

Hei och velkommen hit

I have the 15" PB. Personally I can't see the lines, so I can't tell you if mine is affected by this issue or not. It seems perfect to me though. I've tried going really close to the screen, and then yes I can see lines, as I can on every other LCD I look at.

So don't worry to much, wait and see. Might be perfect like mine
Temujin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 01:22 PM   #21
Temujin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No, that's in US dollars. Just shy of €2400 for you europeans.

Actually Denmark have higher taxes. The lowest is 43% and highest about 65% . We also have a sales tax at 25%.
Temujin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:32 PM   #22
mizzi
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mizzi
i'm in the exact same boat...ordered, already shipped, and hoping for the best.

sigh...
mizzi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:35 PM   #23
generik
Banned

Good luck guys..

On the upside even if it bothers you, MacIntels will probably be a few months away now, so you can always sell the junker and get the real gold
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:39 PM   #24
mizzi
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mizzi
haha thanks.
mizzi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 04:30 PM   #25
gavinsan
macrumors newbie

i just hope the people that work in the store where i will buy my powerbook (FNAC) "can see" the lines (in case it has it)... i'm gonna use it a lot for design, the minor difference in color affects my work...

gavinsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs