Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:36 AM   #1
StressedSnowCat
macrumors member

Question Exploding/Expanding Battery on the iPhone - Can it be avoided? Or will it happen?

I just ordered myself an iPhone 5. Now I am a little worried when I read all these threads from people who have had their iPhone 3, 4 and 5 damaged by an expanding battery...

Will the battery expand and damage the phone some day no matter what or does the battery only expand under extreme conditions/because it is faulty?

The reason I am asking is because I'm the kind of person who uses the same phone for a very long time and plans on replacing the battery when it is dead to keep using the phone. But if the battery damages my iPhone 5 by expanding when it dies then I won't be able to use it anymore...

So what is it, do all battery expand and damage the phone eventually?
StressedSnowCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedSnowCat View Post
I just ordered myself an iPhone 5. Now I am a little worried when I read all these threads from people who have had their iPhone 3, 4 and 5 damaged by an expanding battery...

Will the battery expand and damage the phone some day no matter what or does the battery only expand under extreme conditions/because it is faulty?

The reason I am asking is because I'm the kind of person who uses the same phone for a very long time and plans on replacing the battery when it is dead to keep using the phone. But if the battery damages my iPhone 5 by expanding when it dies then I won't be able to use it anymore...

So what is it, do all battery expand and damage the phone eventually?
No. There is a fractionally small non zero chance that it could happen, but it is a manufacturing fault. It is not inevitable.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:57 AM   #3
RoofMonkey911
macrumors member

Just be sure to use the supplied charger and not some cheap 3rd party knockoff and you will, more than likely, be fine.
RoofMonkey911 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:58 AM   #4
StressedSnowCat
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
No. There is a fractionally small non zero chance that it could happen, but it is a manufacturing fault. It is not inevitable.
Thanks man! So if I take good care of it and replace the battery once it dies/weakens I could possibly get 5+ years out of my phone then?
My provider does not subsidize phones so I had to pay full retail which is why I'd rather use it as long as I can get it to work. (650 bucks or half a months salary, ouch!)
StressedSnowCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:00 AM   #5
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning.
sulpfiction is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedSnowCat View Post
Thanks man! So if I take good care of it and replace the battery once it dies/weakens I could possibly get 5+ years out of my phone then?
My provider does not subsidize phones so I had to pay full retail which is why I'd rather use it as long as I can get it to work. (650 bucks or half a months salary, ouch!)
There is nothing special you have to do to take care of. It's internal circuits handle that. Preventing deep discharge and overcharge.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Depending on how heavy your use is, it's battery should even last you 5 years, albeit with degraded capacity. As the battery degrades, you just lose usage time, not increased risk of catastrophic failure.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:31 AM   #7
cynics
macrumors 604

The battery will just die (very very high chance) or fail and gas build up will cause expansion (very very unlikely). Regardless it will die eventually.

Every standalone GPS unit I've ever had has eventually had the battery expand as it dies. Maybe something to do with them being in hot vehicles and exposed to the sun for long durations. I was able to save my Garmin because I knew it was happening because I could see the screen looking like there was pressure on it.

Last edited by cynics; Aug 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
cynics is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:04 AM   #8
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

You only read about the battery problems as people want some answers why or solutions. People who are not having a problem will not be posting. It is an extremely slim chance that a battery problem could arise for you. Do not worry about it and just enjoy your new phone.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Namji
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
The battery will just die (very very high chance) or fail and gas build up will cause expansion (very very unlikely).
I'm curious.. does this only apply to batteries in the iPhone? The reason why I'm asking is because I still have all of my old smartphones ( Blackberry curve, tour, Samsung Blackjack ) and all 3 phone batteries have expanded.. it looks bloated.
I have since thrown the batteries away in fear of exploding for some unknown reason.
Namji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:44 AM   #10
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namji View Post
I'm curious.. does this only apply to batteries in the iPhone? The reason why I'm asking is because I still have all of my old smartphones ( Blackberry curve, tour, Samsung Blackjack ) and all 3 phone batteries have expanded.. it looks bloated.
I have since thrown the batteries away in fear of exploding for some unknown reason.
I think all rechargeable batteries in general. I've had car batteries exploded, rechargeable AA batteries explode, RC car batteries explode, etc.

I've never had an issue with a phone laptop or tablet yet. I usually replace a battery every year to year and a half in my devices including my iPhone.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Sofeea26
macrumors newbie

I just dropped the bottom half of my Iphone in soup. I had it in raw rice for about 3 mins. Earphones work, it still charges, but the speakers sound kind of crappy. Can my battery be damaged? The charging outlet at the bottom has a brown spot inside. Can it explode while charging or?
Sofeea26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:36 PM   #12
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofeea26 View Post
I just dropped the bottom half of my Iphone in soup. I had it in raw rice for about 3 mins. Earphones work, it still charges, but the speakers sound kind of crappy. Can my battery be damaged? The charging outlet at the bottom has a brown spot inside. Can it explode while charging or?
What exactly would keeping it in raw rice for just 3 minutes do?
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:49 PM   #13
H01D3N
macrumors newbie

It is a very small chance that your battery will expand. I have had many Apple devices and not one of them has had this happen. But it is possible, just not very likely.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
What exactly would keeping it in raw rice for just 3 minutes do?
The rice draws out any liquids from the phone.
H01D3N is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:50 PM   #14
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by H01D3N View Post
It is a very small chance that your battery will expand. I have had many Apple devices and not one of them has had this happen. But it is possible, just not very likely.

----------

The rice draws out any liquids from the phone.
But it won't do much in just 3 minutes.
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:54 PM   #15
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Not true.it is NOT a manufacturing defect at all. At least not in all cases. Faulty third party chargers, leaving a screw under the battery when getting a cheap replacement, continuing to try to charge a consumed battery, physical damage from a drop or being run over etc all can cause battery fires and/or expanding and non are due to manufacturing.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:08 PM   #16
H01D3N
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
But it won't do much in just 3 minutes.
True. They say 15 minutes is the minimum.
H01D3N is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 08:47 PM   #17
TheProFTW
macrumors regular

It's atleast 12 hours, it needs to suck moisture from inside the phone
TheProFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 08:55 PM   #18
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning.
Agreed, the chances of having an exploding battery are ridiculously small.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone