Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:40 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft Slashes Price of Surface Pro Through August 29 Following Surface RT Price Cut

After a price cut to its Surface RT tablet and reports of modest sales last month, The Verge is reporting that Microsoft has cut the price of its Surface Pro tablet by $100 through August 29. The price cut applies to both the 64 GB and 128 GB versions of the tablet, bringing down the price of those models to $799 and $899 respectively.

In July, Microsoft filed its annual Form 10-K with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) revealing that its Surface lineup of tablets had garnered only $853 million in revenue for the company, which is less than the $900 million writedown the company took for the Surface RT. While Microsoft did not reveal how many Surface units it sold, GeekWire estimated that it sold approximately 1.7 million units by the end of June.

Last month, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told employees at an internal Microsoft town hall meeting that the company had "built more devices than [Microsoft] could sell" in reference to slowing Surface sales. The company has been heavily marketing Windows 8 tablets recently, pitting different tablets against Apple's iPad in a series of ads that highlight the iPad's inability to multitask and its lack of built-in productivity software.

Despite the price cuts, Microsoft has suggested that new versions of both the Surface Pro and Surface RT are in the works, along with a number of new accessories.

Article Link: Microsoft Slashes Price of Surface Pro Through August 29 Following Surface RT Price Cut
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:42 AM   #2
bmunge
macrumors regular

Still not worth it.
bmunge is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Surface Pro … Surface RT… price cut here, price cut there. It's all so confusing!

No wonder they aren't selling.
Reason077 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:44 AM   #4
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000

Mabey at $199. Still not
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:50 AM   #5
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

This won't even register as a blip with consumers. They are still way too expensive.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Red Oak
macrumors member

If Microsoft built 6 million units have many have estimated and have sold ~ 2 million, they have 4 million in inventory and in the retail channel. That is over $1 billion of product that is not selling

I would expect another very large write-off to take place within the next 6 months. At least $500 million

There is no way this garbage is going to sell
Red Oak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Geekola
macrumors newbie

Who didn't see this coming?
Geekola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:56 AM   #8
jan1024188
macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up MicrosoftTMWindowsProUltimateEditionSurfaceRumors.com
jan1024188 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:57 AM   #9
jm001
macrumors regular

And... there it is.

IF they slash it even more to the point that the Pro is less or equal to the iPad then I'll definitely buy one. However my main concern is how much space Windows8 pro takes up. I would have to buy the 128GB model. These tablets have micro or regular SD slots right? It would be a nice laptop replacement.
jm001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Macrolido
macrumors regular

Microsoft is doomed.
Macrolido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:00 AM   #11
KPOM
macrumors G3

It could be a sign that a Haswell version is on the way soon. If they can manage to get 9-12 hours out of that one and reduce the weight and thickness, it could have a shot in the market.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Battlefield Fan
Banned

It really is a nice tablet. Use one. I own both an iPad and Surface. I'd like to see what a second generation tablet from Microsoft would bring to the table but it seems as if no one is willing to give them the chance.
Battlefield Fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:07 AM   #13
Fafafoooey
macrumors member

Why get that...

when you can get a Macbook Air for the same original price and it has PCI SSD, can run Win7 or Win8 in addition to OSX, has a better warranty and more so with AppleCare, is built better.
Fafafoooey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:09 AM   #14
Bhatu
macrumors member

I am pretty much sure that if they re-release Surface with Windows XP, people may like to buy it!!
Bhatu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:11 AM   #15
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

Microsoft is in bad shape. It's knees are buckling.
JayJayAbels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:11 AM   #16
bpd115
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bpd115
Build quality isn't an issue, the tablet is built really well. Some design quarks...no easy way to type when lying down using the on screen keyboard like an iPad + Smartcover....

Where this thing excels is digital art with the included Wacom Pen. Niche market though, but I'd love this pen on an iPad....
bpd115 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Rogifan
macrumors G3

I'm curious how many people actually use the Surface Pro as a tablet. I don't see what the tablet benefits of this device are. And all of Microsoft's promotional shots show it being used in landscape orientation with kickstand and keyboard. What makes this better than a touch enabled Ultrabook?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:13 AM   #18
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
more accessories

seriously
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:26 AM   #19
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrolido View Post
Microsoft is doomed.
What? Come on, this is MacRumors, therefore it's Apple that is doomed!

/sarcasm

Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:32 AM   #20
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

When they reduce the price to 20%, I'll buy a dozen for target practice. There's a great app called "Bull's Eye" that draws a perfect target.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
It really is a nice tablet. Use one. I own both an iPad and Surface. I'd like to see what a second generation tablet from Microsoft would bring to the table but it seems as if no one is willing to give them the chance.
Back in 2007 I would have probably bought one, but just like with my Pocket PC, for which I spent over $1700 in units and accessories that have become practically obsolete, I'm afraid the same is going to happen to the Surface.

Something just didn't click-in properly (could that be the Metro interface?) and it's not getting much attention.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:43 AM   #21
inlinevolvo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
When they reduce the price to 20%, I'll buy a dozen for target practice. There's a great app called "Bull's Eye" that draws a perfect target.

----------

Back in 2007 I would have probably bought one, but just like with my Pocket PC, for which I spent over $1700 in units and accessories that have become practically obsolete, I'm afraid the same is going to happen to the Surface.

Something just didn't click-in properly (could that be the Metro interface?) and it's not getting much attention.
I have a feeling the surface will follow the path of the "kin" and the "Zune". Microsoft has a habit of introducing ill researched products into the market and killing them off. They will leave the tablet marketplace in a few years. As someone else posted, you can get a MacBook Air for the price, which can do so much more. It also doesn't help that the metro interface isn't all that great to use. And the classic Microsoft desktop doesn't suit a tablet.
inlinevolvo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:44 AM   #22
NSeven
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to NSeven Send a message via Skype™ to NSeven
No one cares about Microsoft Products, its not even in the same League as the iPad... also anyone who quotes this and tells me to stop moaning.. go cry to your moms.. if you don't have moms then to bad..

27" iMac late 2011, 3.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 1TB 840EVO SSD HD, 16GB Gold iPhone 5S, 16GB iPad Air, 16GB iPad mini, 8GB iPod Touch
NSeven is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:44 AM   #23
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Surfacerumors.com
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:09 AM   #24
JoeyCloverfield
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSeven View Post
No one cares about Microsoft Products, its not even in the same League as the iPad... also anyone who quotes this and tells me to stop moaning.. go cry to your moms.. if you don't have moms then to bad..
I was under the impression you had to be over 13 to make a forum account. I guess I was wrong.
JoeyCloverfield is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:11 AM   #25
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

I've learned my lesson - never buy anything that comes with Windows on it.
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion