Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
When I turn on my MBP it sits at this screen and the gray bar gets almost to the end and then stops and stays in that spot for hours ...

Its a 2011 13" MBP ... thoughts on what could be wrong? I'm thinking hard drive died on it .. but wanted some opinions or better knowledge first

upuvejyq.jpg

Last edited:

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Opened it up and blew out dust and then made sure all my connections were good .. still doing it.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Hold down the shift key (for a long, long time) on startup. Safe Boot.

Report back on what that does.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Hold down the shift key (for a long, long time) on startup. Safe Boot.

Report back on what that does.

Just does the same thing .. it shows the screen like in the first.post and then turns off after awhile of loading

bs-2010

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
This happened to me not long ago. Took it to the Apple store and the hard drive bracket needed replacing. It was about $50 total. It could be a hard drive failure though.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
This happened to me not long ago. Took it to the Apple store and the hard drive bracket needed replacing. It was about $50 total. It could be a hard drive failure though.

By bracket you mean the connector into the HD?

Either way $50 isn't bad..

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Was not updating BIOS ... turned it on when I got to my hotel room to connect to wifi, then it froze and then it started doing this ...
In that case I can only suggest you'd look into the sleepimage troubleshooting. That bar indicates it is trying to read the RAM image back into memory from the disk sleepimage file. There's something wrong with this. Bad HDD would be the first suspect.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Do you have an external HD to start up from?

Alternatively, do you have (or can borrow) a second Mac where you could try starting it up under firewire target disk mode? You could run some diagnostics that way...

Lastly, do you have Applecare?

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
niteflyr reminded me that it's a good idea to try starting up in single-user mode and running fsck -fy

hold down command and s at startup. report what happens...

bs-2010

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
By bracket you mean the connector into the HD?

Either way $50 isn't bad..

I think that's what it was. They said "hard drive bracket" specifically so I assume that is the connector to the HD. Anyway I'd take it into the Apple store since they'll diagnose it for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.