Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Nokia Launches Lumia 925 Advertisement Bashing iPhone Camera

Nokia has taken a page from Microsoft's advertising book, today launching (via UKMR) a new advertisement comparing the company's Lumia 925 to the iPhone 5.

The ad focuses on the phone's photographic capabilities and is based on Apple's well known "Photos Every Day" commercial, which began running back in April. It uses a similar voice over and style, focusing on Lumia users taking photographs with their devices.

Quote:
"Every day, more photos are taken on the iPhone than any other phone. But at Nokia, we prefer to build for quality, not just quantity."
The ad goes on to feature the Lumia 925's various photo modes, offering demonstrations of the camera's action shots, motion blur, and best shot feature that captures a series of photos and allows users to choose the most appealing.

Nokia's Lumia 925 offers an 8.7-megapixel camera that comes equipped with a Carl Zeiss Tessar lens and an f/2.0 aperture. In comparison, the iPhone 5 has an 8-megapixel camera with a five-element lens and an f/2.4 aperture. Nokia has included a dual-LED flash on the Lumia 925, which, along with a lower aperture, allows for superior performance in suboptimal lighting conditions.

Nokia highlights the Lumia's flash and low light capabilities towards the end of the commercial, providing side-by-side comparison photos taken with each camera. "Every day, better photos are taken with Nokia Lumias then with any other mobile," reads the final line.

In recent years, Nokia has focused heavily on the photographic capabilities of its devices, most recently debuting the Lumia 1020, which offers an impressive 41-megapixel camera with a six component Zeiss lens.

Apple is expected to greatly improve the iPhone's camera with the release of the iPhone 5S later this year, offering a 12-megapixel camera, several new photographic modes, and a dual-LED flash.

Article Link: Nokia Launches Lumia 925 Advertisement Bashing iPhone Camera
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:36 PM   #2
rdlink
macrumors 65816

As the old saying goes: The best camera is the one you have with you.

The point to Apple's commercial was that more people choose to carry iPhones than any other phone.

Unless Nokia can come up with a phone that more people want to carry, it's moot.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:37 PM   #3
gaspitsjesse
macrumors newbie

All those photos, and nothing to do with them.
gaspitsjesse is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:38 PM   #4
KillerTree
macrumors regular

I'm happy to see a commercial that shows the true faults of the iPhone versus its competition. The iPhone's low light camera performance is my biggest gripe.
KillerTree is offline   76 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:38 PM   #5
kerryb
macrumors regular

mega

At what point does taking an day of very high res photos with your phone lead to a phone that has run out of storage space? This applies to all phone makers I assume.
kerryb is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Nokia have had the best cameras in phones for years, not likely to change anytime soon.
Kissaragi is offline   36 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:39 PM   #7
RubenTheys
macrumors member

The more manufacturers release ads like this, the more people will be convinced that iPhone really is reference material on the smartphone market.

So keep it coming, marketeers! Who's next in line? HTC, Asus?
RubenTheys is offline   37 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:40 PM   #8
bloggerblog
macrumors member

Everyone is trying to encroach on Apple's market share and marginalize it, and the only way they know how is by bashing it.
bloggerblog is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Delta-NC
macrumors member

Wow! The Nokia camera actually makes the weather better! These will be popular in Scotland!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:41 PM   #10
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Introducing the Nokia Luma ad: because we had to justify having such an oddly placed camera.
AngerDanger is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:41 PM   #11
leftynaut
macrumors member

Knock-ia? That's how it's pronounced?

I always called it No-kia.

You learn something new everyday.
leftynaut is offline   82 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:41 PM   #12
macchiato2009
macrumors 65816

rule #1 learned in business school: never bash your competitors to promote your own product

Nokia doesn't know how to sell its products other than comparing it to the iphone 5, what a bunch of amateurs
macchiato2009 is offline   41 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:42 PM   #13
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Excellent ad. I'm definitely going to buy one of these now.

You see, even though iOS is arguably more stable, has a better ecosystem, a huge app store and although the iPhone has better build quality, resell value and considerably better customer support, what I really want from a phone is something resembling a plastic surfboard with a grotesquely oversized camera on the back.

If photography was my main concern, I'd just get a separate camera.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:42 PM   #14
Hakone
macrumors 6502

I'm sure the other features of the Lumia will out perform the other capabilities of the iPhone, right?

Hakone is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:42 PM   #15
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

I'd rather have a 5 megapixel f/1.8 than 12 megapixels.
ghettochris is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:42 PM   #16
Renzatic
macrumors 604

This is one of the few times I think it's worth going on an all out bash and compare advert. The camera in the new Lumia is so good, it could be a selling point in and of itself. Might as well draw attention to what's easily your best feature.
Renzatic is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:43 PM   #17
MacFather
macrumors 6502

iPhone can't compete with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj8mjC0PXgs
MacFather is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:43 PM   #18
rdlink
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenTheys View Post
The more manufacturers release ads like this, the more people will be convinced that iPhone really is reference material on the smartphone market.

So keep it coming, marketeers! Who's next in line? HTC, Asus?
This.

All advertising experts know that as long as competitors reference a brand in their commercials or ads, it is considered the brand to beat.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:43 PM   #19
ryansimmons323
macrumors regular

The fact that there are more photos taken with the iPhone just says most of the people who take photos on their phone do it on the iPhone! Not that Apple builds for quantity over quality...
ryansimmons323 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:44 PM   #20
FirstNTenderbit
macrumors 6502

Great idea

I am going to:

1. Patent anti-Apple ads
2. Sue everyone for copying and patent infringment
3. Profit

(thinks all bases are covered)

/lights cigar with $100 bill.

On topic: I understand Apple is the market leader and everyone goes after the market leader but at some point companies have to realize this is getting pretty old.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:44 PM   #21
!GS51!
macrumors regular

well correct me if im wrong but that picture is no way a picture of an iPhone 5 camera its too dark no way the iPhone 5 performs that way
BlackBerry Z10
!GS51! is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:44 PM   #22
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Making the iPhone 5S with a 12mp camera is not improving anything. It's making it worse. I don't need larger, crappy photos. Larger sensor, better optics are needed, not higher MP and another LED added to the flash.
Jalopybox is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:45 PM   #23
mudman2
macrumors member

NOT knocking the competition is the first rule of marketing because it reflects more on the shortcomings of your product rather than any perceived weakness in your competitions.

This seems to be the way these days, every one breaks these rules and just look how successful they are (BBerry, Msoft)

Sell your product on its merits, if you want to win make those merits strong enough to tempt people to buy your products. It seems that they are working on the %'s "if I can just get x% of this market I can make money"

I nearly bought a Surface keyboard until I realized they were selling a tablet
mudman2 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:46 PM   #24
AndyDiamond
macrumors regular

lol @ the photograph of fruit.

It should come with a disclaimer - "the photographer using the iPhone had no idea what they were doing".
These things are always akin to the YouTube videos of musicians 'demonstrating' music gear but playing awful music on them.

You can comparatively 'compare' photos from one device to the next all you like but it is how you use what you have (or don't) that makes the difference.

If specs were all that mattered then why do so many 'amateurs' out there who own thousands of dollars worth of high-end Nikon or Canon cameras still take crappy photos on them?

I applaud Nokia's camera phone achievements and the fact that Hipstamatic has made Nokia-only version of their Oggl app (their first ever non-iOS port) says something significant.
In fact the Lumia 1020 Windows phone would make quite a cool camera in itself.

http://theappwhisperer.com/2013/07/2...ia-lumia-1020/

However, you would expect Apple to follow suit with the next incarnation of iPhone HW.
Again, specs are one thing but what do you like using and how does it work for you?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:46 PM   #25
pirg
Banned

It's amazing after all these years companies are still trying to create the iPhone killer. Valiant effort, Nokia.
pirg is offline   10 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion