Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:33 PM   #1
travod
macrumors member

New Air saying little storage left?

When I say little I mean 160/250 available, but I have not put that much stuff on my laptop. I've only put some word documents, movies, and videos that should total up to AT MOST 50 GB. What's taking up so much space?

Last edited by travod; Aug 5, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
travod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Do you have Time Machine turned on? If you do, some space will be used by Time Machine's local backups. You can just ignore it, as OS X will reduce this space if the user needs it for storage.
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by travod View Post
When I say little I mean 160/250 available, but I have not put that much stuff on my laptop. I've only put some word documents, movies, and videos that should total up to AT MOST 50 GB. What's taking up so much space?

lots of stuff in your mailbox?
dropbox?

there are lots of programs, some free some paid, that can help you with this like Disk Inventory X or daisy disk with the latter being my personal favourite.

you can also do this the old-fashioned way and just go through your finder and look.

probably something in your libraries somewhere - just google how to clear up space on your mac and you should be able to fix the problem... but like I said, i really like daisy disk.

also - time machine makes local backups and the hibernate feature eats up some space too.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
cxc273
macrumors regular

So 90 GB is being used, but you're not sure where.

50 GB is being used for videos, music, etc., leaving 40 GB unaccounted for.

Mountain Lion requires 8 GB, leaving 32 GB.

Is it possible the remaining unaccounted for 32 GB is for applications you may have installed?
cxc273 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5
astoxos
macrumors regular

You can run a relevant program to find out what is happening inside your HD
astoxos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:37 PM   #6
mbafan
macrumors member

Disk Inventory X, google it
mbafan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:39 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by travod View Post
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain:
What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating my space
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:44 PM   #8
dazey
macrumors 6502

OmniDiskSweeper (http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnidisksweeper/) its free (now) and the best tool I ever found for working out what is consuming space.
dazey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:02 PM   #9
travod
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazey View Post
OmniDiskSweeper (http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnidisksweeper/) its free (now) and the best tool I ever found for working out what is consuming space.
Downloaded this and it told me the problem in five seconds - I had two copies of every movie (one on iTunes and one in a folder I copied from an EHD). Deleted the copy and I'm back up to 190 GB!

Thanks everyone.
travod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:01 AM   #10
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Do you have Time Machine turned on? If you do, some space will be used by Time Machine's local backups. You can just ignore it, as OS X will reduce this space if the user needs it for storage.
That.

The only place you should be checking for available space in Lion onwards is via get info on a disk.

If you're using "about this mac" the space reported there includes local TM backups which are removed as required, if needed.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air