Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Launches Third-Party USB Charger 'Takeback Program'

Following the electrocution of a Chinese woman that may have been caused by a counterfeit iPhone charger, Apple will launch a new recycling program on August 16th to dispose of any USB power adapter used with the iPhone and iPad.

The company is also offering official replacement chargers for $10 to anyone who turns in a suspect adapter. The program was first reported by 9to5Mac.
Quote:
Recent reports have suggested that some counterfeit and third party adapters may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues. While not all third party adapters have an issue, we are announcing a USB Power Adapter Takeback Program to enable customers to acquire properly designed adapters.

Customer safety is a top priority at Apple. That's why all of our products -- including USB power adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod -- undergo rigorous testing for safety and reliability and are designed to meet government safety standards around the world.

Starting August 16, 2013, if you have concerns about any of your USB power adapters, you can drop them off at an Apple Retail Store or at an Apple Authorized Service Provider. We will ensure that these adapters are disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
To get the discounted charger, users can bring any USB power adapter and an iPhone, iPad or iPod to an Apple Retail Store or participating Apple Authorized Service Provider. Only one replacement adapter per device is allowed.

Apple does note that retail stores or service providers cannot give any information about the authenticity or safety of power adapters.

This is not the first time that Apple has introduced a special support program for USB power adapters. In 2008, Apple issued a recall for USB power adapters included with the iPhone 3G. There were a number of reports that the metal prongs on the ultracompact power adapters could break off and get stuck in the wall. To this day, Apple puts a green dot on new power adapters to differentiate them from the older, recalled models.

Article Link: Apple Launches Third-Party USB Charger 'Takeback Program'
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:35 PM   #2
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

So I can buy an unofficial charger off eBay for $5, bring it in to Apple and get an official one for $10? That's $5 savings!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:35 PM   #3
pixelpro
macrumors member

Good Move. A company that cares!
pixelpro is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Four oF NINE
macrumors 6502a

This is a great idea, and a responsible action by Apple.
Four oF NINE is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:35 PM   #5
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

With such a discount, I expect people to bring brand new third-party adapters they got for a couple bucks just in order to get the discount. Not that it won't help to avoid people from being electrocuted, but it will create unnecessary waste. Still a good move overall, but I wonder how could this be avoided.
pgiguere1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Mrg02d
Banned

So it has come to this...
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:36 PM   #7
notabadname
macrumors 65816

Nice move Apple
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:36 PM   #8
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Apple going above and beyond yet again
BornAgainApple is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Mrg02d
Banned

This either shows that:
A-Apple is naive
B-Apple chargers cost them nearly nothing.
Mrg02d is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:38 PM   #10
.Asa
macrumors regular

I think I have a cheap $1 charger laying around... hmm..
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:38 PM   #11
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
So I can buy an unofficial charger off eBay for $5, bring it in to Apple and get an official one for $10? That's $5 savings!
Or build one out of a small cardboard cube and stuff a bunch of crappy components in it
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:39 PM   #12
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

I suppose I take in a few of my generic adaptors to get them upgraded. Kind of a deal at the price and then no worries...

Gary
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:39 PM   #13
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Wait. Is this for the Lightning cable or the plug? They should do it for Lightning cables, I'd stock up
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Obese Lobsters
macrumors member

does it have to look like apple chargers or will they accept any usb charger?
Obese Lobsters is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:40 PM   #15
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
This either shows that:
A-Apple is naive
Or that, you know, Apple's PR know how to turn negative coverage into positive one. It's a brilliant marketing move, and any marketing usually costs money anyway.
pgiguere1 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:43 PM   #16
ad5ll
macrumors newbie

If they weren't price gouging everyone by charging people $20 for their "official" power adapter this wouldn't be near the problem.
ad5ll is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:44 PM   #17
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Or that, you know, Apple's PR know how to turn negative coverage into positive one. It's a brilliant marketing move, and any marketing usually costs money anyway.
Im leaning towards B.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad5ll View Post
if they weren't price gouging everyone by charging people $20 for their "official" power adapter this wouldn't be near the problem.
bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mrg02d is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:44 PM   #18
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
Quote:
Or buy a secondhand one for 50c and save $9.50.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:45 PM   #19
segers909
macrumors regular

Anybody know if this is valid worldwide or US only?
segers909 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:47 PM   #20
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelpro View Post
Good Move. A company that cares!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
This is a great idea, and a responsible action by Apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainApple View Post
Apple going above and beyond yet again
Right on! x3

Quote:
American ingenuity at work, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
This either shows that:
A-Apple is naive
A cynic's point of view; give them some credit, won't ye?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:48 PM   #21
Shellbo6901
macrumors member

they should also replace any cord of theirs that gets frayed(since that could also catch fire/shock you, after it frays withing 2-3 months of use), with a new one
Shellbo6901 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:49 PM   #22
Aidyn's X
macrumors regular

I take it this is only the plug itself and not the cable? I have some iPhone 5 third-party (clearly fake) chargers. The plug themselves are fine, it's the cables that I would like to exchange.
Aidyn's X is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad5ll View Post
If they weren't price gouging everyone by charging people $20 for their "official" power adapter this wouldn't be near the problem.
I'm sorry, but it's not Apple's responsibility to worry about how cheap, unlicensed, and occasionally faulty third party chargers are priced. If you don't want to fork over the $20 for an extra charger, you get what you pay for. Would it be nice if the official chargers were cheaper? Absolutely! But they're not, and in my opinion, $20 isn't too much to ask for a well built charger.
Tubamajuba is online now   12 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:50 PM   #24
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Wait. Is this for the Lightning cable or the plug? They should do it for Lightning cables, I'd stock up
I believe this is only for the plug. Those cables are quite the commodity and a whole other matter
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:52 PM   #25
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Right on! x3

American ingenuity at work, lol

A cynic's point of view; give them some credit, won't ye?
Why? They are a business that owes their shareholders...This just goes to show their chargers are truly overpriced. Not like we didnt already know that...

But hey, people will pay that price. Im all for making the most $$$. But I dont like to see people parade around like some benevolent do-gooder when we all know they just want to make money like the rest of us.

EDIT: Also, this is no epidemic. How many people are getting killed by "cheap" chargers? They all come from the same place and are based on the same principle.

PR stunt.
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion