Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
I'm sick and bored of the default shortcuts. I mean, who uses airplane mode, Bluetooth, DND and orientation lock so often?
Apple needs to make US choose what shortcuts we want.
I know it's a BETA, but still... come on

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
A multitouch gestures on/off toggle is the only thing keeping me from updating to IOS7 on my iPads...using jailbroken IOS6 until it happens.

Alterion

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
Well I was kinda hoping for this too. Cause I don't like the placement of the volume control.

It always gets confused with the brightness setting. :(

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
The flashlight, alarm and calculator shortcuts are OK though, the camera is so-so

But where is cellular, 3G and the many Auxo offered...

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Settings > General > Multitasking Gestures

They obviously mean a toggle in control center so they didn't have to go through menus in the settings app. Seriously, look at the title of the thread.

I can understand why they want that. I have a young child who uses games/apps on both my and my wife's iPads. With multitouch gestures he can exit the apps too easily. It is much easier on my iPad, which is jailbroken and has NCsettings installed, to turn off multitouch than it is on my wife's unjailbroken iPad.

That being said, Apple is unlikely to allow custom shortcuts in the control center though.

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I'm sick and bored of the default shortcuts. I mean, who uses airplane mode, Bluetooth, DND and orientation lock so often?

I do. As well as millions.

Apple knows what users are going into Settings for, therefore that's the reason they put them in Control Center.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Not. Then billions are using the cellular or the hotspot switches

So you don't think Apple put the shortcuts in there for a purpose? There's a marketing department for stuff like this. You are not the center of the universe.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

this is apple what u are talking about. they r making the choices for you ;) sucks in cases like this i know.

btw i use the rotation lock ALL THE TIME :p

But where is cellular, 3G and the many Auxo offered...

they will never do this, apple is probably too afraid that people may turn it off without actually knowing what it does and than complain about the internet being slow or not working ...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So, which general on/off settings people in general use more often?

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be good to be able to customize those toggles, but, that aside, which ones are used more often in general?

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
Just noticed an annoyance. I'm sat in my lounge at night, with just a lamp on, so it's really dark. The display brightness is on it's maximum setting, so it's hurting my eyes. I drag up control centre. I turn the brightness down slightly so it doesn't hurt my eyes as much, and I swipe control centre away, realising that the display brightens up again and is now too bright. The darkening effect from opening control centre threw my judgement of the display's brightness.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just noticed an annoyance. I'm sat in my lounge at night, with just a lamp on, so it's really dark. The display brightness is on it's maximum setting, so it's hurting my eyes. I drag up control centre. I turn the brightness down slightly so it doesn't hurt my eyes as much, and I swipe control centre away, realising that the display brightens up again and is now too bright. The darkening effect from opening control centre threw my judgement of the display's brightness.
And/or perhaps auto brightness played some role (after you manually changed the brightness) as well (assuming you have it enabled)?

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
And/or perhaps auto brightness played some role (after you manually changed the brightness) as well (assuming you have it enabled)?

Maybe I wasn't clear in my explanation. When you pull control centre up, everything else above control centre dims. So when you alter the brightness in control centre, you have a false reference for how bright the display actually is. So when you then close control centre, the dimmedd effect goes and everything may be brighter than you wanted it to be. (I'm using iPad 2 iOS7 beta 5). On iPhone/iPod touch, control centre takes up most of the display, so maybe the issue I'm raising isn't so much an issue with iPhon/iPod touch.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

I do all the time. When my phone has trouble connecting to 3G, I have to turn airplane mode off and on again. And if my wifi signal becomes weak (this happens very often) I turn wifi off. The shortcuts are nice to have.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
That must be why you can't join a wireless network from CC. :rolleyes:

That's honestly probably the only thing I like about Android.

My god, you guys want everything at one touch of a button, how hard is it to go into Settings, by the end of this thread we will have like 20 things in the CC, we'll end up needing a control center for control center.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
hm i can totally see apple offering options for command center, kind of like how apple allows options for their stupid "today" notification center. god i wish i can turn that off.

what apple will never allow is custom app toggles in notification center.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
My god, you guys want everything at one touch of a button, how hard is it to go into Settings, by the end of this thread we will have like 20 things in the CC, we'll end up needing a control center for control center.

I think an actual solution would be to make the wifi button a shortcut to that section of the settings app rather than a toggle. I don't want more stuff; I just want the stuff that's there to be more useful. I almost never turn off wifi — but I do search for networks occasionally.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
I think an actual solution would be to make the wifi button a shortcut to that section of the settings app rather than a toggle. I don't want more stuff; I just want the stuff that's there to be more useful. I almost never turn off wifi — but I do search for networks occasionally.

The way NCsettings on a jailbroken device does it is ideal in my opinion. Using Wi-Fi as an example, a short press of the toggle turns Wi-Fi on and off and a long press of the toggle opens the Wi-Fi section in settings. Most if not all of the toggles in NCsettings have this behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.