Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
What will the iPhone 5S need to have to be successful?

The body of the iPhone 5 with a few minor improvements to the camera, processor, and a new feature like the fingerprint sensor.

Basically... what we already know to be the iPhone 5S ;)

andaman-sea

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
#1 Battery

As you cannot go through the day without having to "top up"

#2 Battery

And if you wake up in the morning with a full charge an hour earlier, you will have to charge it before you leave for work to "top up" because you lose a substantial amount of power in one hour.

#3 Battery

Also, the battery gets really hot.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It really depends on how you define successful. It will undoubtedly sell tons of units just based on the intertia that the iPhone has. I think Apple could give us virtually the same phone for another 2-3 years and people would still buy it, barring some huge advancements from other companies.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
About battery.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new cheap iPhone is announced without LTE, but with a massive battery endurance. That would be an instabuy!!!!!

Kind of the same strategy with the MB Air-Pro.

You have the high power top-notch rMBP. And then you got the not so powerful but ultraportable and power saver MBA.

Regarding the i5s. The usual spec bump.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Many people will get the phone, there are people with iphone 4's waiting for the spec bump :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Many people will get the phone, there are people with iphone 4's waiting for the spec bump :)

I have a 4S. I'm on Verizon. I don't know where the LTE zones are around me, but OH MY LORD PLEASE LET ME HAVE LTE. The days of 0.5 Mbps are getting very old.

andaman-sea

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
I really want Apple to release a phone with literally no new features just to see if people will buy it.

I have a hunch that some here would. That makes no sense to me. I'd love a fanbase like that.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I really want Apple to release a phone with literally no new features just to see if people will buy it.

I have a hunch that some here would. That makes no sense to me. I'd love a fanbase like that.

Haha who wouldn't. If Apple did this, I guarantee there would still be droves of people lining up for the 5s. Most of the buying public are gullible retards.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
1. The apple logo

That's it. You know we'll buy it no matter what ;)

Seriously though, better battery, faster, maybe more storage (I don't have data packs anywhere near large enough to allow me to stream music), and better camera. Basically nothing that will cause me to need to upgrade, but I will anyway :)

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
for a start, better quality control in factories, better build quality and a larger screen because this one currently is just sad.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
take market share from other OS not just iOs replacement cycle

I think for the iPhone 5S to be successful it will need to take market share from non iOs. Just having existing iPhone users replace their phones will just put Apple on par with a utility stock. So what would it take for Android smart phone users who are already users of iPads or Macbook Air to switch to iPhones?

1. The text input in iOs is very slow. The swype utility in Android is essential to many, because of the rapid speed at which one can enter text and that too with just one hand.'
2. Ability to customize the home screen by shortcuts like direct dialing.
3. Ability to block calls without having to jail break your iPhone and buy an App.
4. Increase the width of the current iPhone without increasing the length (height).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
About battery.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new cheap iPhone is announced without LTE, but with a massive battery endurance. That would be an instabuy!!!!!

Kind of the same strategy with the MB Air-Pro.

You have the high power top-notch rMBP. And then you got the not so powerful but ultraportable and power saver MBA.

Regarding the i5s. The usual spec bump.

Verizon won't put a new smartphone in their product line if it doesn't support LTE. I find it unlikely they'd only release it in the states and not be on Verizon. Unless its not marketed in the states at all.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Someone with a 4/4S would find that to be a huge upgrade. Assuming the 5 is no longer available that wouldn't be a bad upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.