Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Aug 6, 2013, 05:10 AM   #1
mjsanders5uk
macrumors member

Server basics

OK, I seem to have got my server up and running somehow but I think I might have misunderstood the basics of servers.

I have a Mac Mini running Lion server and have created users on the server.

On my MBP running 10.8.4 I have allowed network login using the Mac Mini server.

I was under the impression that this would then store all the user settings and documents on the server so that when I log in from another computer (in this case another MBP running 10.8) that all the files and settings such as mail would appear on computer no. 2 but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Instead logging in as the network use appears to create a directory on the machines local hard drive, not on the server.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
mjsanders5uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:26 AM   #2
mjsanders5uk
macrumors member

Er its OK. I found the magic solution that says make a share to be used for home directories and set up a user to use that share.
mjsanders5uk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 09:00 AM   #3
alexrmc92
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsanders5uk View Post
Er its OK. I found the magic solution that says make a share to be used for home directories and set up a user to use that share.
Make sure you also set up portable home directories. if you don't and you take your MBP out of your home network you will have issues logging in.
alexrmc92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking