Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Seeks Patent on Fused Glass Enclosures for Use on iPhones, iPads, iPods, Displays, and Televisions

Apple last week filed for a European patent (via Patently Apple) on methods for fusing glass pieces together to create various types of glass enclosures for a number of products. While the patent application specifically addresses the general concept of such devices, examples and drawings included in the application outline how the process could be applied to such products as iPhones, iPads, iPods, displays, and even televisions.

Three independent claims in the application describe Apple's use of fused glass to create housings to cover displays or other components:
Quote:
1. An electronic device, comprising: a display; and a housing in which the display is mounted, wherein the housing includes glass structures that have a recess that receives at least part of the display, wherein the glass housing structures include a planar glass member fused with a peripheral glass member that extends around at least some peripheral edge portions of the planar glass member to form the recess.

11. An electronic device, comprising: an electronic device housing formed from fused glass members including at least first and second opposing planar glass members that are separated by a gap; and display structures inserted into the gap.

20. A method of forming an electronic device, comprising: polishing a planar glass member; fusing a peripheral glass member to at least part of an edge portion of the planar glass member to thicken the planar glass member at the edge portion; and attaching the planar glass member and fused peripheral glass member to a housing structure.
Example showing an extruded glass enclosure with fused end cap
Further descriptions suggest that while glass display housings could be paired with enclosures made of other materials as on many Apple products, entire enclosures could be also be made of glass.

Of notable interest, Apple design chief Jonathan Ive is named as one of the inventors on the patent, along with Apple designers Peter Russell-Clarke and Mike Pilliod.

Hand-drawn figure from Apple's original U.S. filing showing a display and other components inserted into a fused all-glass enclosure
Interestingly, the European patent application cites as priority a U.S. application filed in January 2012. That application was quietly published on July 25 of this year following the expiration of the 18-month confidentiality period on applications, although the application did not specifically name Apple as the assignee of the rights. That application also included rather crude hand drawings for its figures, drawings that were translated into more professional illustrations for the European filing.

Article Link: Apple Seeks Patent on Fused Glass Enclosures for Use on iPhones, iPads, iPods, Displays, and Televisions
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

An all-glass enclosure sounds sexy but very OCD-inducing.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:27 AM   #3
KazKam
macrumors member

And talk about difficult to service...
KazKam is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:27 AM   #4
DaveN
macrumors 6502

Ok. I'm a big Apple fan but is fusing glass to make an enclosure really a novel idea?
DaveN is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #5
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Confused what this would be used for.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:30 AM   #6
litmag01
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazKam View Post
And talk about difficult to service...
Wow! And I thought it was odd that my Emergency Zombie Defense kit was in a breakaway glass container.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:32 AM   #7
dwhittington
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmint.com View Post
confused what this would be used for.
tv.

Think 8-bit.
dwhittington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:34 AM   #8
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I'm amazed at how little I understand that patent jargon.

After following steps 1, 11, and 20, I've rendered Apple's next hit product:

Last edited by AngerDanger; Aug 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: introducing the iBroghlytrfffl
AngerDanger is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:36 AM   #9
techwhiz
macrumors 6502

It's an idea, not a process.
The process they use should be patentable, not the idea of fusing glass to make an enclosure.

Should I be able to patent the idea of a laminated wood enclosure for a phone???

Processes, products, algorithms; NOT IDEAS!
techwhiz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:36 AM   #10
JohnGrey
macrumors regular

The iPad/rMBP service philosophy strikes again. At least with the latter two you can get the tools to service them yourself. There would be no way to access the unit without breaking the enclosure. I assume manufacturing defects would be dealt with by simply swapping the unit with a new one.
JohnGrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:36 AM   #11
M-O
macrumors 6502

the new ifixit toolkit will include a hammer.
M-O is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:37 AM   #12
jmh600cbr
macrumors regular

I don't think the current technology and production can handle such a patent. Good on apple for being ahead of the game though, and i think this technology could create stronger, longer lasting screens.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:40 AM   #13
JustMartin
macrumors 6502

Am I missing something here or are Apple really patenting a glass box? I'm pretty sure I've seen them before.
JustMartin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:41 AM   #14
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Unibody Glass? Awesome.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
It's an idea, not a process.
The process they use should be patentable, not the idea of fusing glass to make an enclosure.

Should I be able to patent the idea of a laminated wood enclosure for a phone???

Processes, products, algorithms; NOT IDEAS!
No it's an invention.
cmChimera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Maschil
macrumors 6502a

apple is worse than monsanto when it comes to patents..
Maschil is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:45 AM   #16
goobot
macrumors 68040

So basically this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	426928  
goobot is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:46 AM   #17
BigBeast
macrumors 6502

Cool patent bro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschil View Post
Um, no.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
So basically this.
Noľ more like exactly that!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:48 AM   #18
Techtimate
macrumors newbie

I have to agree, one look at this and all I'll see is another unserviceable product.
Techtimate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:55 AM   #19
Daze & Confuse
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
No it's an invention.
Anti-gravity drive!

Now to patent it, as it's not idea, it's an invention....
Daze & Confuse is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 AM   #20
Consultant
macrumors G5

Apple better make the whole glass device with bullet resistant glass!
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 AM   #21
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschil View Post
All the companies patent.... for example, here's a new one of Google's...

Google patents the launching of apps when you unlock your screen! Draw a triangle, launch the camera app - draw a square, launch the phone app. So much different than clicking icons, huh?

http://vr-zone.com/articles/google-p...oid/49728.html

Tell me that this is a novel idea, and 'worthy' of a patent unlike the Apple patents.

The thing is - we just hear of Apple patents on here, not other company patents.
bbeagle is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:57 AM   #22
BigBeast
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGrey View Post
I assume manufacturing defects would be dealt with by simply swapping the unit with a new one.
Which is how many of Apple's lineup are already "fixed." If you know before you buy the device, that it's not user reparable, why complain? Buy the incredibly good investment of Apple care, and save yourself some money.

i.e. iPhone 5 screens are still $150 when bought from third parties. You'd still have to replace the display, and you'd still have a screwed up phone (externally). If you bought $99 Applecare however, the $49 deductible for a new iPhone would put you at the same $150 spent on a replacement display, except that now you got a new (refurb) device. And you still have one $49 damage replacement in the bank. Pretty good deal to me. Plus the telephone support for iOS, airport, Apple TV, and Apple apps, which is included in an Applecare plan, I'd say it's probably less expensive to just buy Applecare and forget about fixing stuff yourself. This come from a man who used to fix Macs. It just seems to be cheaper and easier to get the Apple care, than to do things the old way.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:58 AM   #23
JeepGuy
macrumors regular

iFixit servicing tool

Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:59 AM   #24
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

Repairing these devices will be con...fuse...ing.
Intarweb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:01 PM   #25
rotax
macrumors member

I think this has something to do with liquid metal being used and not generic glass.

http://macdailynews.com/2013/07/16/a...ronic-devices/
rotax is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion