Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Twelve South Releases Adjustable HiRise Stand for iPhone 5 and iPad Mini

Twelve South today unveiled a new adjustable pedestal stand designed to work with both Apple's iPhone 5 and the iPad mini. Made from brushed metal to match other Apple/Mac accessories, the HiRise is designed to work with a Lightning cable and nearly any iPhone or iPad mini case.

Quote:
Place HiRise in your workspace to charge while your hands are free during calls and FaceTime chats.

Unlike most other docks, HiRise doesn't block your speakers, mic or headphone ports. This vertical pedestal is small and beautiful enough to use anywhere in your home or office. It's the ultimate perch for keeping your iPhone 5 or iPad mini fully charged and ready to go.
According to Twelve South, the stand works with a wide variety of popular cases, from Otterbox to Speck to the company's own BookBook. The rear support on the HiRise can slide back and forth and multiple height clips for the Lightning cable allow it to accommodate the majority of cases. With standard docks and stands, device cases often have to be removed.

The HiRise stand can be purchased from the Twelve South website for $34.99.

Article Link: Twelve South Releases Adjustable HiRise Stand for iPhone 5 and iPad Mini
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:54 AM   #2
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a

I want it.
kristoffer4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:00 PM   #3
MacMan1620
macrumors member

Ordered. Not a bad price either.
MacMan1620 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4
snebes
macrumors 6502

That is 1 sexy stand.... Would love it if there was a "dual" version like the XtremeMac docks.
snebes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:03 PM   #5
pachecorigo
macrumors newbie

Why spend that much on something so simple

35 for the stand + 19 for another cable because your not going to want to disassemble it everytime you need to go somewhere = 55 plus tax.

screw that. I got a better solution.

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-5-Deskt...sim_sbs_cps_13 = 5 dolla make u holla

Last edited by pachecorigo; Aug 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
pachecorigo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

I love Twelve South stuff. Their gear looks like it's designed by Apple themselves, unlike most other stuff on the Apple peripheral market.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:12 PM   #7
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

I won't comment on the price, but I will say it looks sweet with an iPad Mini!

KylePowers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:18 PM   #8
rikscha
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
I love Twelve South stuff. Their gear looks like it's designed by Apple themselves, unlike most other stuff on the Apple peripheral market.
Exactly because with Apple's iphone docks you had to assemble them for half an hour and have special screw drivers at hand. Oh boy, what a great product that is! So Apple like.
rikscha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachecorigo View Post
35 for the stand + 19 for another cable because your not going to want to disassemble it everytime you need to go somewhere = 55 plus tax.

You make a good point that having to supply your own lightning cable does jack up the overall price. However the dock you linked screams cheap all over it. Sorry, I wouldn't pay $5 for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikscha View Post
Exactly because with Apple's iphone docks you had to assemble them for half an hour and have special screw drivers at hand. Oh boy, what a great product that is! So Apple like.
I agree. It looked nice until I saw the video. The assembly part with screws is a buzz kill. I think I'll stick with my pre-order of Belkin's MIXIT ChargeSync dock in green color which requires no assembly, includes a built in lightning cable, and has a great minimalist looking design in my opinion.

http://www.belkin.com/us/F8J045-Belkin/p/P-F8J045
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:53 PM   #10
cheesyappleuser
macrumors 6502

I would get one of these things, they look awesome, but this is at a ridiculous price IMO.
You have to assemble it yourself, you need to get a Lightning cable at hand, it doesn't have any technology whatsoever.

I'd buy it for $20 because of the looks. But it doesn't deserve the staggering $35 price tag.
cheesyappleuser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Looks very nice, but $35 and BYOLC ridiculous. $15-20 should be their real price point.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:29 PM   #12
MacMan1620
macrumors member

Quote:

I guess I'm in that part of my life where $35 doesn't really hurt my bank account.
MacMan1620 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:30 PM   #13
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quite recently, (as a result of my attention having been drawn to this company's products on this very forum), I bought some of the Twelve South BookBook cases for my MBA and my iPad mini; I must say that they look gorgeous, are solidly constructed, and yes, are also portable.

Irrespective of price, I'm a big fan of good design, elegance, use of high quality materials, and the idea that form and function can combine in one elegant product. Twelve South manages that; this looks lovely, I must say.
Scepticalscribe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:46 PM   #14
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Would you make one of these for $20? If so, I may have a job for you. ...because if I went downstairs to our machine shop and told them to make me 1000 of these, they'd cost over $100 a piece just to produce, and that's before marketing & advertising costs.

If $35 is exorbitant, but $20 is acceptable, you're arguing over $15. You blow more than that rounding off lunch tips in a week. Suck it up.

...If they set msrp at $20 you'd just complain it should have been $10. But it's understandable. To people who don't value craftsmanship & manufacturing, and have been told for a couple generations that such work is beneath them, nothing is worth anything, and few have any idea what it actually takes to build a product and bring it to market anymore. Everything should just be free.

Last edited by ThunderSkunk; Aug 6, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
ThunderSkunk is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
Would you make one of these for $20? If so, I may have a job for you. ...because if I went downstairs to our machine shop and told them to make me 1000 of these, they'd cost over $100 a piece just to produce, and that's before marketing & advertising costs.
So true. So many people fail to realize the company making them has to make a profit or it's not worth their time. So easy to look at the item and judge it based solely on the size, amount of pieces and material and just say "what, 35 for couple pieces of metal!? Crazy!" But then you take a real-world look at it and realize shipping, manufacturing, advertising, returns, marketing, production... it's overwhelming... for couple pieces of metal.
Szarky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:03 PM   #16
Identity Fraud
macrumors 6502

I really don't get the elitism of some people here, what may be a value for you is cost prohibitive for someone else. There really isn't any need for go be critical of people who feel its too much for what it offers by saying its "not much money".

Anyways, if this can fit a life proof case I'm sold, I'd just use it for work where I already have a lighting cable connected to my computer 24/7 to charge my phone so the lack of a built in cable doesn't impact my decision.
Identity Fraud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:11 PM   #17
willcapellaro
macrumors 6502

Quote:

It's insane that Apple doesn't make something like that, a dock that is actually high quality and works. They really dropped the ball by not having this and leaving it in fumbling hands of 3rd party developers.

I want a dock at least as elegant/small and capable/fully featured as the iphone 4/4S dock that I use nightly. That could have been done easily in my opinion. They could improve it even, by just routing the speaker sound passively through the dock, and allowing the headphone jack to include mic input (which is not a feature of the 4/4S dock, but should be -- it works great next to a stereo but not with a headset or retro style phone accessory).
willcapellaro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:14 PM   #18
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post

If $35 is exorbitant, but $20 is acceptable, you're arguing over $15. You blow more than that rounding off lunch tips in a week. Suck it up.

...If they set msrp at $20 you'd just complain it should have been $10. But it's understandable. To people who don't value craftsmanship & manufacturing, and have been told for a couple generations that such work is beneath them, nothing is worth anything, and few have any idea what it actually takes to build a product and bring it to market anymore. Everything should just be free.
1) They are 3 pieces of square metal and 3 pieces of plastic. Their shape is not unusual.
2) They are made in CHINA which makes cost REALLY go down.
3) To make them it probably costs them ~$6 including packaging.
4) 35-20=15. Which you say it's not a lot, but in actuality is 42% less which is A LOT.
5) Impossible your machinists will charge at cost $100 for these small metal parts.
5a) They are not making 1,000 but probably 250,000 of them at least. See how price and production cost can come down
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:50 PM   #19
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Aside from the price, this actually looks extremely well made. I actually enjoyed watching put-it-together video. A large amount of thought went into this one, that's for sure.

Actually, I just ordered one.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:00 PM   #20
The Phazer
macrumors 68020

It can cope with a case? Well that puts it vastly ages of most Lightning docks so far.
The Phazer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:19 PM   #21
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:

I leave my earphones plugged into my iPhone 5 pretty much at all times, so that dock would be useless to me. And not to mention my phone is in a case, so that dock is still useless to me.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:38 PM   #22
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
It can cope with a case? Well that puts it vastly ages of most Lightning docks so far.
Check out the Kidigi dock, I have one and it works with my case. Also doesn't stand the iPhone ridiculously high up in the air lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KiDiGi-BLACK...item43be61ef77
troop231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:46 PM   #23
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I guess I'm the kind of person that would prefer buying something that costs me $35, looks nice and will last ages: vs buying something that will cost me $5 and either last a month, or burn my house down, and it looks dreadful.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:50 PM   #24
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Check out the Kidigi dock, I have one and it works with my case. Also doesn't stand the iPhone ridiculously high up in the air lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KiDiGi-BLACK...item43be61ef77
You lost me at ebay...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post
I guess I'm the kind of person that would prefer buying something that costs me $35, looks nice and will last ages: vs buying something that will cost me $5 and either last a month, or burn my house down, and it looks dreadful.
Or kill you...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:56 PM   #25
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
Or kill you...

Too right. The current examples in China make it a no-brainer now.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion