Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:18 PM   #1
steve knight
macrumors 65816

National Rifle Association Enemies List Now Includes Scientists, Zoos

as if we need any more reason not to listen to the NRA got to protect lead I mean it is a cool thing and all.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3708593.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- In a move bizarrely reminiscent of its "anti-gun" enemies list, the National Rifle Association announced a new plan Friday to target scientists, environmental groups, government regulators and individuals who favor banning the use of lead in gun ammunition.

The targeted attacks are part of Hunt for Truth.org, a newly revamped effort by the nation's largest gun lobby to block attempts to regulate the use of lead in bullets. Regulations have been proposed in some states after studies have shown that millions of birds -- most notably the highly endangered California condor -- are dying of lead poisoning after ingesting lead bullet fragments.

The Center for Biological Diversity, an environmental group, estimates that hunters in the United States shoot more than 3,000 tons of lead into the outdoors every year, and that as many as 20 million birds die annually from lead poisoning.

To the NRA, however, the proposed bans on lead in bullets represent an "assault" on "traditional" hunting and on hunters' rights.

"Anti-lead ammunition groups will not rest until all lead ammunition, and ultimately hunting, is banned," the gun lobby claimed in a Friday press release.

The NRA singled out a law under consideration in California which would require hunters in the Golden State to use lead-free ammunition. Lead free bullets are widely available from top manufacturers, and have not been shown to function any differently than bullets containing the highly toxic element.

In order to rally its members to oppose the lead regulation, the NRA described a conspiracy theory involving crooked scientists, phony research, and a shadowy network of nonprofits, zoos and government agencies all conspiring to ban hunting.

According to the NRA, an "activist portion of the scientific community" has formed "a highly organized network of like minded researchers with an agenda to ban lead ammunition." In order to thwart this looming threat, "Hunt for Truth will expose the researchers associated with 'faulty science' critical of lead ammunition," the gun lobby says.

Scientists aren't the NRA's only new targets. Nonprofits like the San Diego Zoo and the California Condor Recovery Team are also on the enemies list. The NRA claims these groups "have considerable influence over many legislators and regulators," which they use to "capture" the regulatory agencies and bureaucrats responsible for lead ammunition restrictions.

"Under this capture theory, NGO’s, legislators, regulatory agencies and researchers work in concert to implement policies and regulations to ban traditional ammunition," the NRA alleges.

As of Monday, the NRA had yet to list any scientists it planned to target, but there were seven environmental and wildlife conservation groups on the site, including the National Resources Defense Council and the Center for Biological Diversity. Four government agencies were also singled out: the Arizona Game and Fish Department, the California Department of Fish and Game, the Los Angeles Zoo and the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

A spokesman for the NRA declined to comment on the listings.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Aug 6, 2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added quote tags
steve knight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Wow.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:32 PM   #3
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Ow... my brain.

So on top of climate change, these people believe that lead-poisoning is "junk science"? I want to make sure I understand their POV.
skottichan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:45 PM   #4
niuniu
Banned

Too much meth.

I'm thinking about that video iMike posted about Goldman Sachs etc buying up metals and the facilities to store them to drive up prices which led to billions in profits. Aluminium and copper were the two they had a racket with. I wonder if the same is going on with lead, and this is part of a move to get the public to fight against any legislative move to further restrict the use of lead.
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:46 PM   #5
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
Ow... my brain.

So on top of climate change, these people believe that lead-poisoning is "junk science"? I want to make sure I understand their POV.
Why? It may screw your mind permanently. Starting to remind me of creationists and flat earthers.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:50 PM   #6
zioxide
macrumors 603

Sounds like the people in charge of the NRA might be exhibiting symptoms of lead poisoning.

Gotta love low-intelligence morons who think their right to shoot high velocity projectiles at rocks and empty beer cans is more important than the well-being of our entire planet and the survival of all of it's species. Can't get more selfish than that.
zioxide is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:33 PM   #7
iStudentUK
macrumors 65816

Good damn scienctists and their logical reasoning and peer reviewed research. Facts have no place in this debate! FREEEDOM!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:11 PM   #8
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Color me not surprised.

They're a lobbying group, and will do ANYTHING to get more guns purchased. ANYTHING.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 06:31 PM   #9
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 06:34 PM   #10
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Reason #638 to hate the NRA.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 07:18 PM   #11
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Time for the tin foil hat....

[IMG][/IMG]
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

I didn't know we were still using lead bullets. :/ How did they get banning lead bullets would be a ban on hunting, I don't get it? :/

Hugh
Old Aug 6, 2013, 07:51 PM   #13
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I didn't know we were still using lead bullets. :/ How did they get banning lead bullets would be a ban on hunting, I don't get it? :/
This is what I was wondering. Why does it matter if the bullets are full of lead or cheese? Does the lead give the bullets extra power because of weight or something? Or is this just a reason to get angry and scream about stuff?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 07:58 PM   #14
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
This is what I was wondering. Why does it matter if the bullets are full of lead or cheese? Does the lead give the bullets extra power because of weight or something? Or is this just a reason to get angry and scream about stuff?
it is because it is a backdoor way of eliminating guns. I guess they leaned about this with the GOP and think everyone does it.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:12 PM   #15
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
Lead, and sometimes depleted uranium, is indeed used because its density gives extra inertia to the bullet.

Of course Lead has many useful properties. Yet most industries have stopped using more than trace amounts of it because the dangers outweigh the benefits.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:30 PM   #16
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
Ow... my brain.

You have to remember that these are the same kind of people who take the bible literally. To them God controls the climate. God put animals on this earth for us to do with what we will. For this reason they cannot accept the notion that we could be permanently destroying these things.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Aug 6, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
APlotdevice is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:45 PM   #17
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

I didn't know bullets still had lead in them. I'm all for banning its use here because the lead isn't collected and disposed of safely after usage. There just isn't a practical way of doing that.

However, I do not own a gun, nor do I ever want to, so this affects me from an environmental standpoint only. Are there any hunters on this forum who have used both lead and leadless bullets and care to offer their opinions on the recreational impact of such a ban?