Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Greenman85
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Threads being locked

Why the heck are mods locking threads in the ios7 forum and saying use the news forum thread? This is the ios 7 forum. I come here for news and info on ios 7 specifically. I don't go to the general news forum. I don't get why a thread cant exist on both forums. Stop locking relevant threads.
Greenman85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:36 PM   #2
NotAdvisable
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman85 View Post
Why the heck are mods locking threads in the ios7 forum and saying use the news forum thread? This is the ios 7 forum. I come here for news and info on ios 7 specifically. I don't go to the general news forum. I don't get why a thread cant exist on both forums. Stop locking relevant threads.
If you're going to make a topic just to discuss the fact Beta 5 was released, then why have several threads about it rather than discussing it in one place?

Just wait for a Fixes and Changes thread mate
__________________
Retina Macbook Pro (Mid 2012, 15", 2.6GHz i7, 8GB / 512GB)
iPad Air (128GB LTE, Space Grey) & iPhone 5S (32GB, Space Grey)
NotAdvisable is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Greenman85
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAdvisable View Post
If you're going to make a topic just to discuss the fact Beta 5 was released, then why have several threads about it rather than discussing it in one place?

Just wait for a Fixes and Changes thread mate
because maybe i only come to the ios 7 forum to talk about ios 7 and never go to the general news forum. what harm is there for threads existing on both the general news and the ios 7 forum? they dont affect each other. they are independent of each other.

and the mods locked a what is new thread already.
Greenman85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
bmw3wags
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman85 View Post
Why the heck are mods locking threads in the ios7 forum and saying use the news forum thread? This is the ios 7 forum. I come here for news and info on ios 7 specifically. I don't go to the general news forum. I don't get why a thread cant exist on both forums. Stop locking relevant threads.
I agree why go to the news forum when you want to talk specifically about what is new in beta 5 and not just about it being release that way everything that is new will be in that thread. The Mod's are a little power happy today.
bmw3wags is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:42 PM   #5
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I do not prefer them closed. I like to have at least one thread here that keeps a list of what has changed. Like the OP will update the first post to note all the changes. I don't want to go to the news thread of beta 5 and dig through the comments of what changed...
__________________
Macbook Pro Retina 15"
iPhone 5 32GB - Black
iPad 4 16GB - Black
TV 3
locoboi187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:44 PM   #6
SJism23
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Personally, I'm glad they're doing it. There are so many superfluous iOS 7 threads, it's ridiculous. People need to wait a bit to download the update and then report back on changes/fixes. Just have some patience.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro (early 2011), 2.0 GHz i7, 16GB RAM; iPad 4, 32 GB; iPhone 6 Plus, 128GB

Last edited by SJism23; Aug 6, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
SJism23 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:44 PM   #7
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
We close the threads because the front page news story is where the discussion is occurring. In a matter of 10 minutes there were 5 threads announcing that beta 5 is out saying virtually the samething.

It can cause more confusion with the members by having 5 threads about beta 5 and the news story.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:45 PM   #8
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
We do not need various threads all about the same topic and its always been common practice to direct members to the news story threads and close the ones that are about the same thing.
SandboxGeneral is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:45 PM   #9
HarryAinslie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Doncaster, England, UK
I didn't realise the thread was over there, i would have thought it would have been in the iOS 7 area.

Guess where i'm going now?
__________________
Macbook Pro with Retina Display, 15"
Macbook Pro, 17"
iPad 32gb | iPhone 5 32gb
ATV 3 | Time Capsule
HarryAinslie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Greenman85
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
We do not need various threads all about the same topic and its always been common practice to direct members to the news story threads and close the ones that are about the same thing.
Why not leave a thread open on the ios 7 forum. why would i go to the general news forum when i only want to specifically access ios7 info? i would go to the ios7 forum. i understand closing multiple discussions about the same thing on the same forums, but i dont understand directing us to 1 thread on a completely separate forum
Greenman85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:05 PM   #11
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman85 View Post
but i dont understand directing us to 1 thread on a completely separate forum
Its because we only want one thread per topic. Its all part of proper organization and the forum rules.
SandboxGeneral is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:22 PM   #12
Greenman85
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Its because we only want one thread per topic. Its all part of proper organization and the forum rules.
That makes no sense and leads to people not finding the info. if i only go to the ios7 forum, i will never see the general forum thread. you still haven't justified why it is harmful to have 1 thread per forum.
Greenman85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:30 PM   #13
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman85 View Post
That makes no sense and leads to people not finding the info. if i only go to the ios7 forum, i will never see the general forum thread. you still haven't justified why it is harmful to have 1 thread per forum.
The simple answer is to go to more than the iOS 7 forum. Use the Forum Spy to get a live view of everything that is going on in the forums.

Having multiple threads on the same thing clutters the forum and annoys most of the membership. We get many reports daily for duplicate threads.
SandboxGeneral is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:33 PM   #14
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman85 View Post
That makes no sense and leads to people not finding the info. if i only go to the ios7 forum, i will never see the general forum thread. you still haven't justified why it is harmful to have 1 thread per forum.
We're not locking all beta 5 threads but ones that overlap the discussion that is occurring the the news thread. Have multiple threads stating that beta 5 is available only confuses and annoys members. The discussions typically is duplicated and unnecessary.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:22 PM   #15
Greenman85
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
The simple answer is to go to more than the iOS 7 forum. Use the Forum Spy to get a live view of everything that is going on in the forums.

Having multiple threads on the same thing clutters the forum and annoys most of the membership. We get many reports daily for duplicate threads.
it's hard to justify telling me to additionally click on some tool i dont care about when i can just click on the bookmarked forum i look at and see a thread there and read/participate in it. again, there is a difference between multiple threads on the same forum(which i understand locking the additional threads) and 1 thread on the news forum and 1 thread on the ios7 forum.
Greenman85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:53 PM   #16
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman85 View Post
it's hard to justify telling me to additionally click on some tool i dont care about when i can just click on the bookmarked forum i look at and see a thread there and read/participate in it. again, there is a difference between multiple threads on the same forum(which i understand locking the additional threads) and 1 thread on the news forum and 1 thread on the ios7 forum.
I hear that you'd like things to be organised in a different way, and that's your prerogative. But the two moderators who have answered you have pretty much covered why things are the way they are.

We've chosen to do things in a way we feel makes the most sense for the more than 800,000 members. We try to keep as much discussion of the big issues in one place.
annk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:02 PM   #17
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
What is puzzling to me is the fact that anyone who has been a member of this forum for 2 or 3 or more years isn't already familiar with the forum rules and the way the forum works.

It makes no sense to have multiple threads on the same topic, as some posters would duplicate posts in all open threads, while some wouldn't, and the result makes it hard for a reader to see all the responses to a topic in a single thread. I know it still happens frequently, but to the extent that it can be minimized, it's definitely for the betterment of the forum.

It's really not a big deal to click a link and be directed to the official news story thread. It's certainly not worth getting upset over.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 04:45 PM   #18
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Surely having 5 threads spread around makes it even harder to find info on your subject.
Kissaragi is online now   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missing threads from subscribed threads under User CP ddublu Site and Forum Feedback 2 Sep 23, 2013 10:31 AM
Locked and non-locked apps Retired Cat iOS 7 1 Jul 15, 2013 03:18 AM
Threads I Posted chattahoochee Site and Forum Feedback 3 Apr 27, 2013 08:09 PM
Why are so many threads being closed? ZipZap Wasteland 0 Sep 12, 2012 01:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps