Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:26 PM   #1
NicoleT
macrumors newbie

How Can I Return MacBook Pro to Factory Settings and ONE Authorized Apple ID?

I recently purchased a 2012 MacBook Pro from an individual on Craigslist. The computer is in excellent condition, with an existing hardware warranty that's good until February 2014. The previous owner removed his files from the 1TB hard drive, and then reformatted the drive prior to my ownership. It's becoming quite apparent that he he forgot to deauthorize the computer, using his Apple ID and password. Is there anyway I can disassociate with any previously-used Apple ID(s) and factory start fresh?

Any help you can offer me will be GREATLY appreciated!
NicoleT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:46 PM   #2
ApfelKuchen
macrumors 6502a

I presume you know this because "Deauthorize this computer…" was not grayed-out in the Store drop-down menu when you first setup iTunes?

The authorization is on Apple's servers, not on the computer, so it's not something you can delete or reformat - iTunes recognizes the computer by, I believe, its serial number.

The original owner has to deauthorize - either by getting together with you to do it from your computer, or by deauthorizing all his computers, which can be done from his current computer, and then reauthorizing the one(s) he still has. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

Bottom line, though, is that the same computer can be authorized on several accounts - it shouldn't hurt you to have the previous owner's authorization still attached to the computer. It could hurt the previous owner, though, as it affects the total number of computers he can have authorized (maximum of 5).

A separate issue is whether you can associate your computer. If the previous owner had first associated the computer to his iTunes account less than 90 days ago, you will be prevented from using the computer with your account until that 90 day period expires. Chances are though, he associated that computer way more than 90 days ago, so it's not likely to be an issue. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627 As far as I can figure, this is a safeguard to prevent the "bad guys" from accessing multiple (presumably stolen) accounts.
ApfelKuchen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3
NicoleT
macrumors newbie

Thank you immensely for the expeditious response! Hopefully, I'll be able to get the previous owner to comply with either solution--I'm ready to get my Mac on!
NicoleT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help