Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Anyone else here crazy enough to start using the Mavericks from DP1 up until now and then to release?

I've been using it since the first day on my production MBP. It's had it's bugs but, I've never really had an issue with it. Minus iMovie crashing when I use certain titles, it's been working wonderfully.

What has your experience been like?

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Anyone else here crazy enough to start using the Mavericks from DP1 up until now and then to release?

I've been using it since the first day on my production MBP. It's had it's bugs but, I've never really had an issue with it. Minus iMovie crashing when I use certain titles, it's been working wonderfully.

I wish mine was. Since I am only enrolled in the iOS Development program - I don't have access to Mavericks. Will just have to wait until release day.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I wish mine was. Since I am only enrolled in the iOS Development program - I don't have access to Mavericks. Will just have to wait until release day.

hehe

I think a lot of people that don't have access to it will really like it once it's released. I'd say it's a lot better than what ML is. It's almost (for myself) like a Lion to ML upgrade. That much of a difference.

Once it's released, please come back here and post your thoughts!

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
also been on it since day one - same with as with Lion on a 2010 27" iMac (used a Snow Leopard VM for incompatible applications).

Mountain Lion builds locked up on my late 2011 15" MBP with Flash under certain conditions...

The main problem this time has been Skype not using my webcam. I was rebooting to Mountain Lion... but then I started using my personal Macbook with Lion just for Skype.

Other than that... Finder was quite buggy. /Users redirection got messy once so I reinstalled - an hours job if that. It's been fine really, nothing unexpected. Definitely better than the Leopard/Snow Leopard beta days.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
hehe

I think a lot of people that don't have access to it will really like it once it's released. I'd say it's a lot better than what ML is. It's almost (for myself) like a Lion to ML upgrade. That much of a difference.

Once it's released, please come back here and post your thoughts!

Oh trust me, I will. :cool:

I'm looking forward to the multi-screen support. I detest the multi-screen support in ML. :(

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany

Actually this is exactly what I am doing. Overall the OS is stable, but there are doe compatibility issues and some rough edges, so I wouldn't do it if my work depended on my OS. Most of the standard stuff people do with computers work with no issues. If you need specific software and that software isn't yet compatible, then Mavericks should remain a test.
Overall I am happy from the speed improvements (especially in Safari), and I can handle the issues the beta still has.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I've been using it on a second partition on the same iMac along with ML since DP1. Understandably it never really felt polished through DP1-3 so I was purely using it for stand-alone OS testing (left my large apps off as well as my media libraries). With DP4 I really started seeing the light at the end of tunnel, with most major bugs squashed and all that remained for me were just a few minor issues.

DP5 certainly feels like a GM IMO. In my brief experience so far, all major and most minor bugs appear gone, stable and it's noticeably speedier across the board. I'm finally ready to try out migration assistant to move all my libraries and apps over and really test it in a production setting. Time permitting, I'm hoping to do that in the next week. 10.9 is looking very promising so far.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I've been using it on a second partition on the same iMac along with ML since DP1. Understandably it never really felt polished through DP1-3 so I was purely using it for stand-alone OS testing (left my large apps off as well as my media libraries). With DP4 I really started seeing the light at the end of tunnel, with most major bugs squashed and all that remained for me were just a few minor issues.

DP5 certainly feels like a GM IMO. In my brief experience so far, all major and most minor bugs appear gone, stable and it's noticeably speedier across the board. I'm finally ready to try out migration assistant to move all my libraries and apps over and really test it in a production setting. Time permitting, I'm hoping to do that in the next week. 10.9 is looking very promising so far.

Depending on your line of work, wait with moving your things... if you do anything other than just using photoshop, you will find that mavericks runs like a dream but there is a fair few major app incompatibilities that most likely will not be fixed either just before or after release (which is so annoying).

Just keep in mind that things are far from ready purely because of Autodesk and Adobe.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

I did.

WIFI has been spotty, battery meter sometimes stops updating, there's been a couple of system preferences panels that have been blacked out occasionally, but other than that, two thumbs up.

I've been running it on my main machine since day 1 and can not go back to full screen not working like it does in mavericks.

Battery life is improved, performance in general is better. Love it.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Depending on your line of work, wait with moving your things... if you do anything other than just using photoshop, you will find that mavericks runs like a dream but there is a fair few major app incompatibilities that most likely will not be fixed either just before or after release (which is so annoying).

Just keep in mind that things are far from ready purely because of Autodesk and Adobe.

Yeah, I'll be keeping the main ML partition intact as a backup. By migrating I really meant that I'll still be running parallel OSes, with ML on one partition and 10.9 on another but I'll have 10.9 in a production setting with my apps, files and libraries and doing all my work there. 10.8 partition will be there just in case something goes horribly wrong (I'll probably still be doing that till shortly after final release). I don't use PS either so that doesn't affect me.

Last edited:

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, I'll be keeping the main ML partition intact as a backup. By migrating I really meant that I'll still be running parallel OSes, with ML on one partition and 10.9 on another but I'll have 10.9 in a production setting with my apps, files and libraries and doing all my work there. 10.8 partition will be there just in case something goes horribly wrong (I'll probably still be doing that till shortly after final release). I don't use PS either so that doesn't affect me.

makes sense, go for it! I have been running both dp2 and dp3 and loved it! way more than the 10.8.5 dev builds… but every time I have to do something actually useful, things break :/

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

Thats what I've done. Cloned my ML installation onto a second partition and then clean installed Mavericks, just in case.

However, DP5 is very stable on my machine.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Actually this is exactly what I am doing. Overall the OS is stable, but there are doe compatibility issues and some rough edges, so I wouldn't do it if my work depended on my OS. Most of the standard stuff people do with computers work with no issues. If you need specific software and that software isn't yet compatible, then Mavericks should remain a test.
Overall I am happy from the speed improvements (especially in Safari), and I can handle the issues the beta still has.

Nice! I'm not really doing much ON the Macbook (data center engineer) so most of my work is RDP/Citrix/VSphere. Although, I do a lot of Office usage and other editing apps. I do edit my personal home videos with iMovie but, not much more.

I'm not a "power" user yet. Hopefully soon though.

----------

In the large aspect of things, I'm still a newbie to Apple (almost 2 years). I started off with Lion (really using it. Tinkered with Snow Leopard briefly.) and then ML shortly after. So having large apps and other "major" work is not something I had. So my transition from SL, to Lion, and to ML was easy unlike most of my friends that were on Leopard and SL.

I do need to test iMovie now. :)

----------

I did.

WIFI has been spotty, battery meter sometimes stops updating, there's been a couple of system preferences panels that have been blacked out occasionally, but other than that, two thumbs up.

I've been running it on my main machine since day 1 and can not go back to full screen not working like it does in mavericks.

Battery life is improved, performance in general is better. Love it.

Same here. I'm spoiled. :)

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Nice! I'm not really doing much ON the Macbook (data center engineer) so most of my work is RDP/Citrix/VSphere. Although, I do a lot of Office usage and other editing apps. I do edit my personal home videos with iMovie but, not much more.

I'm not a "power" user yet. Hopefully soon though.

----------

In the large aspect of things, I'm still a newbie to Apple (almost 2 years). I started off with Lion (really using it. Tinkered with Snow Leopard briefly.) and then ML shortly after. So having large apps and other "major" work is not something I had. So my transition from SL, to Lion, and to ML was easy unlike most of my friends that were on Leopard and SL.

I do need to test iMovie now. :)

----------

Same here. I'm spoiled. :)
Citrix and RDP works fine. I have only issues on customer websites that provide an SSL VPN gateway through a java applet. That doesn't work. Of course you can also use vmware to do that with windows..

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Citrix and RDP works fine. I have only issues on customer websites that provide an SSL VPN gateway through a java applet. That doesn't work. Of course you can also use vmware to do that with windows..

RDP works but, has crashed a few times (Using Microsoft's RDP that came with Office) but, I think it did that even in ML.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.