Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.eric

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Hey guys, I have a 2011 MBA and was wondering what would be recommended for an external monitor?

I really would like to have a TB display,but $$ is an issue being in college and everything.

Are there any solutions that are much cheaper, but still really great? I've considered the refurbished TB display, and it's still just shy of my reach....

Thanks!

-edit-

This will mostly be for having an external monitor so I can have more than one screen up at a time. No video or photo editing outside of, say, iPhoto. I do some programming occasionally and need an external monitor. I do want a good resolution, and I'm looking for something 23 inches +. I don't really care about the adapter cost, I probably have one anyway.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hey guys, I have a 2011 MBA and was wondering what would be recommended for an external monitor?

I really would like to have a TB display,but $$ is an issue being in college and everything.

Are there any solutions that are much cheaper, but still really great? I've considered the refurbished TB display, and it's still just shy of my reach....

Thanks!

What are you doing with the monitor? Photography, video, TV or gaming? All would mean you need slightly different things.
What size screen do you have in mind? Look for the following;
IPS Panel, anything else is old tech.
Good resolution. This will very by screen size but the higher the numbers the better!
A wide colour space means your monitor can produce better pictures.
A high contrast (number of steps from white to black)
Connectivity, obviously when looking at price think about the inputs on your Air and the cost of any adapters etc.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have been using my old (2006 maybe?) 23" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200) since I got my first MBA in 2011 and now it's connected to my 2013 MBA.

It still looks terrific, although it shows a little burn in that usually isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it. Maybe you could find something like this for really cheap?

.eric

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
edited

----------

I have been using my old (2006 maybe?) 23" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200) since I got my first MBA in 2011 and now it's connected to my 2013 MBA.

It still looks terrific, although it shows a little burn in that usually isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it. Maybe you could find something like this for really cheap?

Most of those are going for like $375 or so on Craiglist, was hoping for something a little cheaper, but that would work if I could find one...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
$375? Wow, that's crazy. Maybe I should sell it while it still works! LOL

Seriously, I wouldn't pay anywhere near that price for a product of that age. It might very well die tomorrow. ;)

knuro

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
External monitor

Thanks!

-edit-

This will mostly be for having an external monitor so I can have more than one screen up at a time. No video or photo editing outside of, say, iPhoto. I do some programming occasionally and need an external monitor. I do want a good resolution, and I'm looking for something 23 inches +. I don't really care about the adapter cost, I probably have one anyway.

I have same Mac Air (July 2011) 13" 4GB, 128GB HD and a few months ago bought a refurbished Thunderbolt Display from Apple web store: Same warranty as brand new for $829.00 and free shipping. Yep a lot of $$ but all those ports (although I would have liked USB 3 but...) I do not look back.But be warned; it is very glossy and may be problematic in brightly lit or natural lighted space.

.eric

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
$375? Wow, that's crazy. Maybe I should sell it while it still works! LOL

Seriously, I wouldn't pay anywhere near that price for a product of that age. It might very well die tomorrow. ;)

Yeah not even kidding. Look at the prices on Craigslist!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.