Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denisvj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Hi guys ,

I want to change the hard drive of my 2011 iMac to 2TB and reading the forum the fans are going to run nuts if I replace the stock hdd .

I found that this can be solved using the kit OWC is selling :

OWC Internal HDD DIY Kit

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIM21HDD11/

Has anyone tested or are using it and advice me if it works .

Thanks

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I haven't tested that, so I can't give you any advice.

However, I can tell you I changed the HDD in my mid-2010 iMac to a 3TB Seagate. The fans do go full power, but that can be software remedied by running a free software called SSDFanControl . The fans will then revert to your HDD SMART status for speed. And I can confirm that they rev up under heavy loads.

So that is another option if you are looking to replace your harddrive.

denisvj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
I haven't tested that, so I can't give you any advice.

However, I can tell you I changed the HDD in my mid-2010 iMac to a 3TB Seagate. The fans do go full power, but that can be software remedied by running a free software called SSDFanControl . The fans will then revert to your HDD SMART status for speed. And I can confirm that they rev up under heavy loads.

So that is another option if you are looking to replace your harddrive.

Thanks !

I could try to change it without the kit and use SSDFanControl and see how it works .

do I need to use that app with bootcamp ?

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Interesting -- looks like it would work, although from the image I believe the cable has to hook into the logic board, which means quite a bit more disassembly than just swapping the drive.

If you go into bootcamp from OSX with a restart (rather than full poweroff), I would expect the fans to stay at their last speed. However, if you go to sleep and come back, it might lose the overrides. This is based on what I've observed with the LCD prox sensor missing, but I'd expect it to be similar with the HD sensors missing.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
No, SSDFanControl is a mac software. I havent tried to install bootcamp so I dont know what happens in Windows, but it works in Mountain Lion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.