Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexy101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Hi,

I am new to building GUI for OS X and am after some pointers.

1. Do I need to make vector images? If so what needs to be vectors (backgrounds)? Should I use Illustrator or Photoshop or both?

2. How do these graphics get implemented into the app using Xcode. Without going into too much detail would it be kind of comparable to HTML?

3. Do you implement all the graphics from images or can you use Xcode to do a lot of it (like CSS for web sites)?

4. What resolution & colour mode should I use in photoshop for GUI?

5. Whats the best method for developing retina & non-retiina graphics? Should I do everything in retina (@2X) as vectors then once complete resize everything down by 50% for non-retina?

Thanks in advanced. Any help would be great. Feel free to add anything else that might help me.

Cheers

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
1. Do I need to make vector images? If so what needs to be vectors (backgrounds)? Should I use Illustrator or Photoshop or both?

All major OSes uses raster images for GUI, it's however easier to build the graphics in vector to be able to scale the images for various purposes. I recommend using Illustrator and Photoshop (if you want to add a little zazz to the images, but really Illustrator should be good enough)

2. How do these graphics get implemented into the app using Xcode. Without going into too much detail would it be kind of comparable to HTML?

There is a user face builder built-in, the images you import into an assets foldr for images.

3. Do you implement all the graphics from images or can you use Xcode to do a lot of it (like CSS for web sites)?

not CSS, open a sample project and check how they are doing it. If you plan on using something like Phonegap there will be CSS in there, since it's 99% a HTML website.

4. What resolution & colour mode should I use in photoshop for GUI?

Depends on your target, iphones goes from 124 ppi to 324 (?) ppi, Apple Screens is around 124 ppi as far as I remember, but using a non-apple screen could bring you down to the norm of 72-92 ppi, check your target and focus on making it look good on the lowest quality first, then scale up using switches.

5. Whats the best method for developing retina & non-retiina graphics? Should I do everything in retina (@2X) as vectors then once complete resize everything down by 50% for non-retina?

I would recommend going the other way, make it low-quality first, then scale up, and when scaled you can start adding details...rather than scaling down having to remove details.

rexy101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for your post. Helped a lot.

I don't have xcode loaded on yet. But can you do gradients, drop shadows, pattern overlays etc just within the IB? What is the limitation with IB before you need PS or IL to step in?

Thanks again.

rexy101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Ok, I have a few more questions.

1. What colour mode should I use? (RGB 8 Bit?)
2. Are there any resources that have tutorials on designing OS X/iOS GUI. There are heaps on just photoshop etc. But I can not find anything purely on designing for OS X. Also a good tutorial explaining xcode IB and using it to do as much as you can without graphics (e.g. gradient, pattern over lay etc) & then going through adding the png files. All with out any coding if possible.
3. A lot of designs for a GUI can be done just using Photoshop from my understanding as things like the pen, rectangle tool etc are vector images. So lets say I do finish my designs, what is the best way I can resize these for retina.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.