Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:06 AM   #1
MoodyM
macrumors 6502

UK vs US Apple TV

I'm in the UK and just bought my ATV.

I'm reading up on it now (Wikipedia, etc), and was just wondering are there any differences/features that are on the US version that aren't on mine, or vice versa? I'm guessing Hulu Plus, etc?
MoodyM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:12 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Yep, it's all about content...Our friends back home do get a little more than those here in the UK...But Apple are constantly sourcing new content.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Ashin
macrumors 6502a

You can make up for the lack of content if you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod by AirPlaying streaming apps to the Apple TV...

I think it's pretty great... it doesn't use any battery on your portable, and just acts as a "key" as such to enable the content.

I can AirPlay BBC iPlayer, BT Sport, Twitch TV, TV Catchup, PPS.tv, which is great.

Apple should really allow apps to be installed to the AppleTV though IMO...
Ashin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:33 AM   #4
priitv8
macrumors 65816

The aTV hardware should be the same. Except for power cord, of course
You only will need to change your iTunes Store location on Apple TV to see the content differences. That doesn't mean you can use US services in UK using the above tweak. Most regionally limited services use IP geolocation, so to be able to use them in UK, you will need a US proxy service to fake a US IP-address too. Oh, and a subscription, of course.
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:28 AM   #5
Markant
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Yep, it's all about content...Our friends back home do get a little more than those here in the UK...But Apple are constantly sourcing new content.
Anyone know why they haven't "sourced" the two biggest missing content sources - iPlayer & lovefilm?
Markant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Shanghaichica
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markant View Post
Anyone know why they haven't "sourced" the two biggest missing content sources - iPlayer & lovefilm?
Apparently you can do iplayer through AirPlay. I would love them to get lovefilm as my wii is rubbish with lovefilm. It could be amazon that are not allowing lovefilm on the Apple TV. They seem to be resistant to developing an app for android tablets.
Shanghaichica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:11 AM   #7
trackbikes
macrumors regular

From what I read in this thread I can go an buy an Apple TV here in Spain and then use my HideMYAss proxy and access my uk app store?

What speed Internet access does ATV need to stream stuff?
trackbikes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:38 PM   #8
priitv8
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbikes View Post
From what I read in this thread I can go an buy an Apple TV here in Spain and then use my HideMYAss proxy and access my uk app store?

What speed Internet access does ATV need to stream stuff?
You can access your UK store account without proxy. You will need a card issued by UK bank to be able to make paid purchases.
For online streaming Apple suggests:
Quote:
A sustained 8 Mbit/s or faster Internet connection is recommended for viewing 1080p high-definition movies and TV shows, 6 Mbit/s or faster is recommended for viewing 720p content, and 2.5 Mbit/s or faster for standard-definition content.
Source
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater