Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I'm in the UK and just bought my ATV.

I'm reading up on it now (Wikipedia, etc), and was just wondering are there any differences/features that are on the US version that aren't on mine, or vice versa? I'm guessing Hulu Plus, etc?

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
You can make up for the lack of content if you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod by AirPlaying streaming apps to the Apple TV...

I think it's pretty great... it doesn't use any battery on your portable, and just acts as a "key" as such to enable the content.

I can AirPlay BBC iPlayer, BT Sport, Twitch TV, TV Catchup, PPS.tv, which is great.

Apple should really allow apps to be installed to the AppleTV though IMO...

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
The aTV hardware should be the same. Except for power cord, of course ;)
You only will need to change your iTunes Store location on Apple TV to see the content differences. That doesn't mean you can use US services in UK using the above tweak. Most regionally limited services use IP geolocation, so to be able to use them in UK, you will need a US proxy service to fake a US IP-address too. Oh, and a subscription, of course.

Markant

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2013
Yep, it's all about content...Our friends back home do get a little more than those here in the UK...But Apple are constantly sourcing new content.

Anyone know why they haven't "sourced" the two biggest missing content sources - iPlayer & lovefilm?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Anyone know why they haven't "sourced" the two biggest missing content sources - iPlayer & lovefilm?

Apparently you can do iplayer through AirPlay. I would love them to get lovefilm as my wii is rubbish with lovefilm. It could be amazon that are not allowing lovefilm on the Apple TV. They seem to be resistant to developing an app for android tablets.

trackbikes

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
From what I read in this thread I can go an buy an Apple TV here in Spain and then use my HideMYAss proxy and access my uk app store?

What speed Internet access does ATV need to stream stuff?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
From what I read in this thread I can go an buy an Apple TV here in Spain and then use my HideMYAss proxy and access my uk app store?

What speed Internet access does ATV need to stream stuff?
You can access your UK store account without proxy. You will need a card issued by UK bank to be able to make paid purchases.
For online streaming Apple suggests:
A sustained 8 Mbit/s or faster Internet connection is recommended for viewing 1080p high-definition movies and TV shows, 6 Mbit/s or faster is recommended for viewing 720p content, and 2.5 Mbit/s or faster for standard-definition content.
Source

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.