Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatmatthew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013

Tooloud4granny

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I've got the B&W Zeppelin AirPlay, haven't done the handshake with the computer for AirPlay, but it sounds sweet, especially with higher bitrates :cool:

vandoorn

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
I would definitely go for the Zeppelin. B&W is just amazing when it comes to sound quality.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Just a heads up

I own the the new B&W A5 which is an Airplay single speaker similar to the Zeppelin.

The Airplay works great, it's easy to use, and the sound is very good (this helps a lot)

However, having sung the praise for the esteemed Bowers and Wilkins, I feel obliged to mention another Airplay player (no affiliation).

Paradigm Millenia CT - 2.1 . (apparently, they have two versions of the Millennia, I have the cheaper one, around $650-$700 US).

Point is, you will not believe what these things can do.

But this sort of thing is subjective (totally), as there's so many variables. but I listen to classical and movie soundtracks (alone, and attached to those moving pictures). Rappers and thrash heads may see things differently (in a number of ways, I would imagine :D )

Also, I use an Airplay Express to stream to a variety of speakers. This works just a well as a dedicated Airplay thing, and might be a good way to go to save money.

Like I said, just a heads up

Reactions: MacInTO

fatmatthew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I am actually looking for something with a good bass, as well as the appearance. The speakers I am looking for have to be good looking!!! any more idea guys??:)

egdatarheel

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
While I know you are looking at B&W and Phillips, I need to recommend looking at the Klipsch G-17. I just picked one up at BestBuy for $150 and set it up this week in my home office. It has fantastic sound for the money (BestBuy has run this sale before and when I saw it again, I couldn't pass it up). May not be up to the others at the $500 level but for $150 its a terrific value and is much better than some of the others that are more expensive. I know Klipsch is now Audiovox but it seems as if the quality is still outstanding at least on this model.

fatmatthew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
still waiting for ppl who have used the philips sound sphere before!!! anyone that can help??

fatmatthew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
i don't know to b honest, but the soundsphere does cost $100 more than the zeppelin. just don't know which is better, wanna get some opinions from you guys :D

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
All things equal aren't 2 separate speakers better than 1?

I would say so. It's really hard to overcome the law of physics.

I myself would not buy a sound bar or a speaker dock for good music, unless I am in a confined space, or that sound bar is longer than 6 ft.

I did purchase a Phillips speaker dock for my bed headboard for charging my phone and to listen to music, audio book, radio, etc. when I am sitting in bed. It sounds pretty good and cost not much more than a typical iPhone 5 dock, and I am trading convenience for sound quality. Not that it's bad: it's really clear and louder than I need for that space and distance.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Unfortunately, I cannot offer an opinion - or experience concerning the Phillips, as I don't own it or know anyone who does; however, I am a big fan of B&W - their speakers and headphones (which I have) are phenomenally good, and beautifully designed.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Started a different thread on this site, but thread is relevant to my question

Anyone in this thread familiar with the Wren Sound System Airplay speakers? Am trying to make a decision between the B and W A5 and these. I listen to primarily jazz and vocals, and NPR.

My home system are a pair of old B and W Matrix 802s streaming from my Airport Express from iTunes. I live in two places as my work is a state away, so am looking for a portable for my home away from home.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
All things equal aren't 2 separate speakers better than 1?

Much better, sound wise. It's actually pretty annoying also, when a single speaker is going into just one ear when its too far off axis.

But there's the stealth aspect of it that I really dig. I just hate wires badly.

And after all, that's the main point of Airplay in general.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Just a heads up

I own the the new B&W A5 which is an Airplay single speaker similar to the Zeppelin.

The Airplay works great, it's easy to use, and the sound is very good (this helps a lot)

However, having sung the praise for the esteemed Bowers and Wilkins, I feel obliged to mention another Airplay player (no affiliation).

Paradigm Millenia CT - 2.1 . (apparently, they have two versions of the Millennia, I have the cheaper one, around $650-$700 US).

Point is, you will not believe what these things can do.

But this sort of thing is subjective (totally), as there's so many variables. but I listen to classical and movie soundtracks (alone, and attached to those moving pictures). Rappers and thrash heads may see things differently (in a number of ways, I would imagine :D )

Also, I use an Airplay Express to stream to a variety of speakers. This works just a well as a dedicated Airplay thing, and might be a good way to go to save money.

Like I said, just a heads up
Whoa! My mind is officially blown!

I was just looking for Airplay speakers and I was complaining on another thread about speaker companies vs tech and how such things would be a compromise. I'm a big fan of the sound from Paradigm speakers - I bought my first pair in 1982, I sold them last year, and my current pair is still over 25 years old! I love the sound from them.

I'm looking for speaker for my office and the ones I just purchase are just okay. I'm not going to ask how you like them, because I know you do! I'll probably just get a set of these now! Thanks!

ps. I just checked out their website. There's not a lot of detailed info there, but my question is, these don't look like true airplay speakers. Are they meant to be used in conjunction with an Apple TV or Airport Express?

Or, will they connect to my router and iTunes via Airplay?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.