Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I don't really get the difference between the "All" tab, and the "Missed" tab in the new notification center. Do some notifications show up in both? Am I the only one that doesn't really understand the difference?:confused:

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
All = All Notifications

Missed = Only Notifications which you missed

Not trying to be mean... but that was not exactly helpful.

I guess it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. For example, I just now opened the smart cover of my iPad, and under "All", I had notifications that a few apps had been updated. But I don't remember actually seeing a notification that those things were happening this morning, so shouldn't all of those be under "Missed"?

Ugh, I'll probably just never look at the "Missed" tab and call it a day.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't really get the difference between the "All" tab, and the "Missed" tab in the new notification center. Do some notifications show up in both? Am I the only one that doesn't really understand the difference?:confused:

The Missed tab in the notification center is for time sensitive notifications that you have not taken action on for at least 24 hours (I think this is the time set). For example if a E-mail or text message came in and you didn't respond to it after 24 hours it would move to the Missed tab. The items that I'm aware of that end up there are:

Missed text messages
Missed e-mails
Missed Calendar appointments
Missed Calls
Missed reminders.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
The Missed tab in the notification center is for time sensitive notifications that you have not taken action on for at least 24 hours (I think this is the time set). For example if a E-mail or text message came in and you didn't respond to it after 24 hours it would move to the Missed tab. The items that I'm aware of that end up there are:

Missed text messages
Missed e-mails
Missed Calls
Missed reminders.

I wish that's how it actually worked but I find 3rd party app notifications in there too. For instance, the CNN app always ends up in the missed tab. If only alerts that required user attention were reserved for the missed tab it would make a lot more sense.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I wish that's how it actually worked but I find 3rd party app notifications in there too. For instance, the CNN app always ends up in the missed tab. If only alerts that required user attention were reserved for the missed tab it would make a lot more sense.

in theory yes I think that's how its supposed to work. Does it? not really LOL.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Missed text messages
Missed e-mails
Missed Calls
Missed reminders.
I believe the items that are there are those that you got while you phone was locked and those that are from just the last 24 hours (not that those past 24 hours would move there).

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/#notification-center

GrantMeThePower

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
Agreed on the pointless comments. I think it is a terrible tab and would be better without it completely and using that tab (if they want three tabs) for something more worthwhile.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
The reason for the missed tab if for people who have two iDevices. Let's say you have an iPhone and iPad. In iOS 7, the notifications sync. If you are on your ipad, and you get a notification that someone in words with friends went and you go to it, it will then show up on your iPhone as missed, since you missed it on there. Or something like that.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
The reason for the missed tab if for people who have two iDevices. Let's say you have an iPhone and iPad. In iOS 7, the notifications sync. If you are on your ipad, and you get a notification that someone in words with friends went and you go to it, it will then show up on your iPhone as missed, since you missed it on there. Or something like that.

That doesnt make any sense at all ... notification sync should be that if one is read/cleared on a device, on other devices also it should disappear ...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i dont think i have ever used the missed tap either to be honest. like what else is it supposed to show besides "missed" notifications? its pretty redundant and should be merged with "all"

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
anyone think it's just the title 'missed' that's confusing? if it was renamed something like 'recent' it'd be a lot clearer. and as far as i can tell this is a much better description of what it actually is.

edit, nope. a recent email i got didn't go under missed. i was going by this description: "The new All and Missed views let you see all your alerts or just those you haven’t addressed in the last 24 hours."

still don't understand what it does then! that is a very confusing description.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
anyone think it's just the title 'missed' that's confusing? if it was renamed something like 'recent' it'd be a lot clearer. and as far as i can tell this is a much better description of what it actually is.

edit, nope. a recent email i got didn't go under missed. i was going by this description: "The new All and Missed views let you see all your alerts or just those you haven’t addressed in the last 24 hours."

I guess this isn't as much of a problem with people in these forums, but I've seen people (mostly non-techies) that never use the notification center. When you swipe down on their devices, it's almost like opening up a cobweb-covered box in your attic... I think the "Missed" tab is for the people that lie between them and us on the notification center use spectrum.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I think the part that the description is missing (at least based on how it seems to work in practice) is that aside from the notifications being from the last 24 hours they are also those that come in while the phone is locked (thus I guess the "missed" part).

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I think the point of this tab is to let you see what you've actually missed when the phone was locked. Calls,Messages,Emails, maybe a few more. My scenario would be that , if you have your phone in your pocket, someone calls and you're unable to take it at the moment. Now you need to make a phone call or send a text or whatever.The notification is on your lockscreen but you need to do something else before you get back to it. Once you unlock your phone, the notification goes away on your lockscreen. Now, you can just go to the missed tab to get back to the most recent ones, without having to scroll through all the others.

Sometimes, I leave emails alone for a few hours until I have time to address them. This goes into "missed and all". Now I need to address another email that has come through or open the email.app. The missed emails now disappear from the missed tab. But the ones that are unread are still in all. They move out of "missed" because you've opened the app. But stay in all because you haven't opened it. Same for voicemails and messages.

That's how I see it. It's works well for me.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Hold the phone!!! ;)

I think this discussion helped me realize the purpose of the missed tab... and more importantly how to explain it.

You know how in prior iOS versions when you had a notification on your lock screen and then unlocked the phone, that notification was lost and gone forever? Well, that's the purpose of the missed tab! It's where those notifications go.

It just became way more useful.

Apple just needs to rename it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hold the phone!!! ;)

I think this discussion helped me realize the purpose of the missed tab... and more importantly how to explain it.

You know how in prior iOS versions when you had a notification on your lock screen and then unlocked the phone, that notification was lost and gone forever? Well, that's the purpose of the missed tab! It's where those notifications go.

It just became way more useful.

Apple just needs to rename it.
Well, I guess that depends on if you had the lock screen notification on for something but then not had it enabled to be displayed in notification center. Would it still display in the missed tab then?

I think it's basically useful if you have bunch of things in your notification center and you just want to quickly see which ones were the ones you actually missed (and didn't see before basically) when the phone was locked (vs. the ones that you already saw or had come in earlier while you were using the phone).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok I figured it out, the Missed tab is for all the notifications that you have not X'd out yet.
Not all of them appear there...otherwise it's just the same as the "All" tab (which lists all the nitifications you haven't dismissed yet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.