Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

vodafone_4g-250x170.jpg
Vodafone, the world's second largest mobile carrier, has announced that it will begin a 4G network rollout in the United Kingdom on August 29. The company has said that service will begin in London and will expand to twelve more cities within the UK by the end of the year, and is claiming that it will have 98% indoor coverage across the UK within the next few years.

Price plans will begin at £26 a month without a mobile device for unlimited calls, texts, and 2GB of data, or £34 for a plan that includes a 4G ready device, unlimited calls and texts, and 500MB of data, and existing customers with a 4G ready device can upgrade for an additional £5.

Vodafone is also offering customers the chance to trade in devices for discounts toward 4G ready devices, with sign ups beginning on the 12th of this month both in store or online. Notably, Apple's iPhone 5 will not be compatible with Vodafone's 4G LTE service due to differences in frequency support, although many expect the issue to be resolved with the launch of the iPhone 5S as soon as next month.

The company is also offering unlimited data for the first three months of service when a customer signs up with a new plan, as well as a promotional deal for Spotify Premium or Sky Sports Mobile TV for six months depending on the tariff.

Vodafone's announcement news comes after O2 announced last week that it would become the second British carrier to offer 4G service, and also joins carrier EE, which launched its 4G network last October. Currently, EE's 4G network is the only one of the three British carriers to be compatible with the iPhone 5's 4G LTE bands.

Article Link: Vodafone UK Announces 4G Service, Rollout Begins August 29

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Vodafone are the worst UK carrier. 2GB data is pathetic, and 500MB is an absolute joke. All other UK carrier have unlimited data at that same price.

Not to mention Vodafone's 3G speeds are slower than 56K modem connections. Bunch of bastards, I'm so glad I'm no longer with them.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Vodafone are the worst UK carrier. 2GB data is pathetic, and 500MB is an absolute joke. All other UK carrier have unlimited data at that same price.

Not to mention Vodafone's 3G speeds are slower than 56K modem connections. Bunch of bastards, I'm so glad I'm no longer with them.

2GB would be a dream for me. Im stuck with 200mb having to reset it for 5€ all the time during a month

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

They suck in Ireland too.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Vodafone are the worst UK carrier.

Many years ago, Vodafone threatened to cut me off, unless I paid them the £80 they wanted......... to close my account.

Guess which option I took?

I too am looking forward to seeing if Three can live upto their promises.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
You think it'll be all you can eat?

They've claimed same deals, same prices, just 4g instead of 3g. I hope thats true.

I'm suspicious of the drop in price of the One Plan, with regards to tethering.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Many years ago, Vodafone threatened to cut me off, unless I paid them the £80 they wanted......... to close my account.

Guess which option I took?

I too am looking forward to seeing if Three can live upto their promises.

Yep, Vodafone can sincerely go screw themselves. I'm currently with T Mobile/Orange/EE -- whatever they are -- and although my friends have occasionally found they're a little incompetent with billing, (especially on shared plans/multiple SIMs), they'll always get it sorted for you.

I've always maintained: Vodafone are evil, the rest are just useless. Big difference though. :D

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Yep. Threes press statement said all existing customers will just get it free with no fees

They've claimed same deals, same prices, just 4g instead of 3g. I hope thats true.

I hope it's the same in Ireland. I've asked a while ago and they said it will be but I was suspicious too.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Vodafone are absolutely dire. They were my first network and it was painful. Never again since then, i wouldn't even buy their PAYG SIM. I know someone else who just jumped ship from them too.

I really hope Three continue to succeed and show the others how its done.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK

I'm on Three as well, have they mentioned or does anyone have any idea when they are intending to roll out their 4G service?

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I'm on Three as well, have they mentioned or does anyone have any idea when they are intending to roll out their 4G service?

They've said it will launch in Q4. But they are in no rush apparently as they are happy with their current Ultrafast network. Which is understandable, they offer faster data speeds than EE.

----------

Most carriers (except for Three) have terrible data plans. £34 p/m for 500MB data is an absolute joke. Even EE's closest tariff offers 1.5GB (for £36 p/m), which is still shocking for a network built for the data! We don't need unlimited calls and texts!!

I predict Three will gain A LOT of new customers over the next few months.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Most carriers (except for Three) have terrible data plans. £34 p/m for 500MB data is an absolute joke. Even EE's closest tariff offers 1.5GB (for £36 p/m), which is still shocking for a network built for the data! We don't need unlimited calls and texts!!

:confused: GiffGaff have great data plans. Pretty much unlimited data if you're paying more than £16 a month. I'm currently with T-Mobile and paying £16 per month for unlimited everything. EE's data plan is only 1.5GB because it's at 4G speeds; if you go for EE's 3G plan (basically, go with Orange or T-Mobile), you'll be getting unlimited data.

Not sure about O2's data plans but I know Vodafone are far from competitive, and most carriers have pretty good data plans. :)

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010

Im on the new One Plan and i'm typing this to you via Personal Hotspot Tethering.

roadie.f

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
I only have 100MB in Canada, talk about suck-ness.

Waiting for Verizon to come up and change the game.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
:confused: GiffGaff have great data plans. Pretty much unlimited data if you're paying more than £16 a month. I'm currently with T-Mobile and paying £16 per month for unlimited everything. EE's data plan is only 1.5GB because it's at 4G speeds; if you go for EE's 3G plan (basically, go with Orange or T-Mobile), you'll be getting unlimited data.

Not sure about O2's data plans but I know Vodafone are far from competitive, and most carriers have pretty good data plans. :)

I was mainly talking about 4G. The tariffs are an absolute joke and make no sense, as the network was built for data. Three are the only network to offer unlimited data on 4G (they've already announced customers will pay no more).

In terms of Unlimited data tariffs on 3G, Three offer the best value with the lowest upfront costs for hand sets. T-Mobile offer a unlimited data plan for £27 and then want £149 for the iPhone 4S! Three offer it for FREE for £23 p/m (as an example).

Last edited:

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Im on the new One Plan and i'm typing this to you via Personal Hotspot Tethering.

Did you switch from another plan? Do you have to port your number again if you do it?

I've been using the £15 all you can eat data sim only, seems stupid not to switch to the £15 One Plan sim only.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Did you switch from another plan? Do you have to port your number again if you do it?

I've been using the £15 all you can eat data sim only, seems stupid not to switch to the £15 One Plan sim only.

New customer in the process of porting from O2.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't move from an existing Three plan if eligible.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
New customer in the process of porting from O2.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't move from an existing Three plan if eligible.

I'll pop in on Friday and see. Three store is opposite the Apple Store in the Mall, must resist impulse buying!

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I am on Vodafone because they were the only ones offering the 5 on a 12 month tarrif at launch. Never again would I go with them, no customer service when there is a problem and their website kept denying my address was valid when I was trying to sign up! I was on O2 and would just returne to them if they hadn't got such a tiny slice of the spectrum for 4G. Will have to see what it's like around the 5s launch.

Last edited:

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
I'll pop in on Friday and see. Three store is opposite the Apple Store in the Mall, must resist impulse buying!

Check out the discussions here - http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/three-one-plan-2000-mins-5000-texts-unlimited-data-15pm-for-12m-18pm-for-1m-63-cashback-1620954

I'm sure I saw a suggestion of opening a new account and then porting your number from your old account. You can open the new account via a cashback website and get up to £63 back.

I'm very tempted but waiting for the next iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.