Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 7, 2013, 09:56 AM   #1
mookgiants
macrumors member

Is a new Apple TV coming out this year?

I'm looking to buy an apple tv next month, but if a new one is coming out before november or so I'd be willing to wait. Anyone know if a new one is definitely coming out? I checked the buyers guide and they seem to think so but tried googling and didnt come up with anything definitive
mookgiants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:15 AM   #2
glutenenvy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookgiants View Post
tried googling and didnt come up with anything definitive
You got the first step covered. As with the majority of Apple products, the second step is purchasing and consulting the product found here: http://service.mattel.com/us/product...zles&Cat=Games
glutenenvy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3
GodWhomIsMike
macrumors 6502a

I doubt an all new one is coming out soon. The current one feels very underutilized in its current state. It was nice to finally get some new streaming options on the AppleTV recently though.
GodWhomIsMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

I'd be happy with an update that hid unused icons.
HarryKeogh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:28 AM   #5
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
I'd be happy with an update that hid unused icons.
You can hide all icons by using options in parental controls.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:33 AM   #6
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
You can hide all icons by using options in parental controls.
OK, I feel silly for not knowing that but feel pretty good about not having to see all those icons again. Thanks!
HarryKeogh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:35 AM   #7
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
OK, I feel silly for not knowing that but feel pretty good about not having to see all those icons again. Thanks!
No need to feel silly. It's not exactly obvious.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:43 AM   #8
glutenenvy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWhomIsMike View Post
The current one feels very underutilized in its current state.
I disagree. Streaming stutters more than on pc/xbox/ps3 clients for the same services with the same high speed internet and same network type. Local network and airplay work fine. The product would benefit from better buffer management for a better streaming experience. I don't think test labs for this product cover as many real world conditions as they need to indicating room for improvement.

----------

Quote:
Who looks under parental controls for a general settings item that pertains to everybody?
glutenenvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:48 AM   #9
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutenenvy View Post
I disagree. Streaming stutters more than on pc/xbox/ps3 clients for the same services with the same high speed internet and same network type. Local network and airplay work fine. The product would benefit from better buffer management for a better streaming experience. I don't think test labs for this product cover as many real world conditions as they need to indicating room for improvement.

----------

Who looks under parental controls for a general settings item that pertains to everybody?
Curiously, I have never had a download from YouTube/Vimeo have a stuttering problem. Don't use Netflix or Hulu, so I can't speak to them. I really wonder if it's more of an app problem vs an aTV hardware problem that causes stuttering, since the apps are specific to the client.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:52 AM   #10
GodWhomIsMike
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

----------

I leave mine streaming sometimes for 12 hours straight on Crunchyroll. What I did notice was a bit of a quality lag for the first 10-15 seconds of an episode when it autoplays, then it cleans itself up to 1080p for the rest of the episode.
GodWhomIsMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:05 AM   #11
arbogast777
macrumors regular

The only thing I would love to see is something akin to an Apple TV Extreme, where there is a built in 2TB HD in it that can house downloaded content.

On a software side, an App Store and upgraded audio, like Dolby Digital Plus. If WalMart can put that on Vudu, a tech company that sees itself as a leader sure can...
arbogast777 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 01:32 PM   #12
priitv8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbogast777 View Post
The only thing I would love to see is something akin to an Apple TV Extreme, where there is a built in 2TB HD in it that can house downloaded content.
Sounds like original Apple TV.
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Sounds like original Apple TV.
What about an Apple TV with built in iTunes so you don't need the computer running and a USB port for external drive
Che Castro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:40 PM   #14
poe diddley
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

Mine works better than my Xbox/pc/ps3. All of the apps stream extremely well on my setup. Netflix and YouTube most notably function better than i expected. While i will agree there is room for improvement in the selection of apps and location of some of the controls (sleep and restart come to mind), i really dig my Apple TV. I would love to see an App Store for the Apple TV and a revision of the interface. But for what it is, mine works almost flawlessly.
poe diddley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:47 PM   #15
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I disagree. Streaming stutters more than on pc/xbox/ps3 clients for the same services with the same high speed internet and same network type. Local network and airplay work fine. The product would benefit from better buffer management for a better streaming experience. I don't think test labs for this product cover as many real world conditions as they need to indicating room for improvement.[COLOR="#808080"]?
Can't comment on Xbox or PS3, but my AppleTV is better than my Blu-Ray, my "Smart"TV, and my Wii for streaming video and on par with any of my Macs.....

Based on the responses in this thread, are you sure it is the AppleTV? Is it possible the AppleTV does less buffering than say the PS3 or Xbox and maybe your internet connection isn't as good as you think it is thus the limited buffering is rearing its ugly head?
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 08:37 AM   #16
glutenenvy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Based on the responses in this thread, are you sure it is the AppleTV? Is it possible the AppleTV does less buffering than say the PS3 or Xbox and maybe your internet connection isn't as good as you think it is thus the limited buffering is rearing its ugly head?
Yes real real world, not perfect world. I didn't claim internet connection is good, or bad for that matter. I have not run a latency or lost packet check but now I'm curious what Comcast may be doing to the connection.

Buffering is designed for network problems. The ATVs here decide that after a set amount of empty buffer errors they permanently change video quality for the playing video instead of ramping back up when network conditions improve. I've had better luck with clients on other machines behaving better on recovery, especially for Netflix which I've dropped for lack of content.
glutenenvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 08:57 AM   #17
glutenenvy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
I really wonder if it's more of an app problem vs an aTV hardware problem that causes stuttering, since the apps are specific to the client.
Could be. I've noticed problems with Netflix and iTunes cloud streaming. Business wise it makes sense for Apple to 'accidentally' have a bad Netflix app but not the iTunes app too. The occasional iTunes cloud streaming problem may be more a HDMI encoding problem specific to ATV. I'm not sure. Video sometimes stutters like dropped frames in a silent movie but audio is left intact. The same content plays in iTunes without any problem on a Mac-Mini to the TV HDMI.
glutenenvy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 01:15 PM   #18
mcarling
macrumors 6502a

The last time Apple updated Apple TV it was to support compressed 1080p content. I expect the next hardware update will be for the purpose of supporting 4K content and will include three changes: support for 802.11ac, A6 rather than A5 chip, and either 16GB or 32GB of flash rather than 8GB. I expect the release will come when Apple sign a deal for 4K iTunes content with one of the major studies. Probably not this year.
mcarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 01:29 PM   #19
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Could be. I've noticed problems with Netflix and iTunes cloud streaming. Business wise it makes sense for Apple to 'accidentally' have a bad Netflix app but not the iTunes app too. The occasional iTunes cloud streaming problem may be more a HDMI encoding problem specific to ATV. I'm not sure. Video sometimes stutters like dropped frames in a silent movie but audio is left intact. The same content plays in iTunes without any problem on a Mac-Mini to the TV HDMI.
I think Netflix develops their own app for the aTV (and other systems). So if there is something inadequate, it's comes from Netflix.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 02:11 PM   #20
Lord Hamsa
macrumors 6502

I've seen it noted in other threads that the "silent" spec bump back in the spring required enough retooling of manufacturing that it would seem pointless to do it for only a few months. From that, figure it's unlikely that new hardware will be out before next spring, maybe late winter at the earliest.

There will, of course, be an OS update with iOS 7, but that doesn't go into whether or not you should buy it now.
Lord Hamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 03:42 PM   #21
Shanghaichica
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hamsa View Post
I've seen it noted in other threads that the "silent" spec bump back in the spring required enough retooling of manufacturing that it would seem pointless to do it for only a few months. From that, figure it's unlikely that new hardware will be out before next spring, maybe late winter at the earliest.

There will, of course, be an OS update with iOS 7, but that doesn't go into whether or not you should buy it now.
what was the silent spec bump?
Shanghaichica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:42 AM   #22
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghaichica View Post
what was the silent spec bump?
A new A5 chip , made it smaller & better I believe
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 03:02 AM   #23
Shanghaichica
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
A new A5 chip , made it smaller & better I believe
Thanks.
Shanghaichica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 03:44 AM   #24
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Does chrome caste mean current Apple TV should shrink?
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:52 AM   #25
Macist
macrumors 6502a

Aside from Airplay, the Apple TV 3 is the most useless of the TV boxes. We used ours for, well, YouTube cartoons for the kids. Nothing else on it is remotely useful to me. iPlayer? 4od? Lovefilm? ITV player? Can I plug in an HD full of movies? Why do I always want to be streaming stuff from iTunes on a Mac?

Get a cheap and nasty Android Droidbox that at least opens up a world of content, must like the jailbroken ATV 2s, or just find some small discrete device that runs XBMC well.
Macist is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater