Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 7, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Reportedly Becomes Primary iPad Display Supplier as Next-Generation iPad Mini Grows Closer

According to a new report from market research company NPD DisplaySearch as related by CNET, Samsung has supplied more 9.7-inch panels for the fourth-generation iPad in recent months than any other Apple supplier, including longtime partners LG and Sharp.

Quote:
Apple, in fact, has been boosting purchases of displays from Samsung since January, according to the market analyst. Apple got about 2.3 million units from Samsung in the first quarter. That figure jumped about 80 percent quarter-to-quarter to more than 4.1 million units in the second quarter, according to DisplaySearch.
The report also claims that Samsung, LG, and Japan Display will also begin supplying 7.9-inch panels for the next-generation iPad mini, although it declines to state whether the displays will be of Retina resolution or not. A Wall Street Journal story last week stated that the next-generation iPad mini is indeed likely to feature a high-resolution display from Samsung, with screens also being supplied from LG and Sharp. The next-generation iPad mini is expected to launch sometime in the fall.

Apple has been reported to be seeking to reduce its reliance on Samsung as a component supplier due to continuing tensions between the two companies as they have increasingly become top competitors in the mobile device market. But it has been reported for several months now that Apple is returning to Samsung as a display supplier due to its technological advantages and production capacity.

Article Link: Samsung Reportedly Becomes Primary iPad Display Supplier as Next-Generation iPad Mini Grows Closer
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:02 AM   #2
macaddict06
macrumors regular

Man, forget politics - business makes for the strangest bedfellows.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Good - their displays are the best around and we shouldn't let a playground grudge affect the quality of the products.

That aside, I still can't seem to silence my inner fanboy which is yelling "Noooooooooooooo!!!!"
Jsameds is online now   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Nimrad
macrumors regular

I just had to change my screen on my MacBook Pro Retina from LG to Samsung. Apple should stick with Samsung until there's anybody better out there
Nimrad is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Pyrrhic Victory
macrumors regular

All the leaks are about the iPad mini, does that mean there won't be a new iPad too?
Pyrrhic Victory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:05 AM   #6
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Amen, now gimme the next gen iPads
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Ursadorable
macrumors regular

Samsung makes some great products, a shame about their shady business practices though. I'm glad Apple swallows their pride and chose the best parts for their products regardless of the vendor.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:14 AM   #8
DBZmusicboy01
macrumors 6502

Samsung and Apple are acting like an old couple
They argue millions of times but still get along.
DBZmusicboy01 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:15 AM   #9
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

If you have ever posted a negative comment about Samsung and continue to support the company by purchasing a product that uses Samsung components in an Apple product, I think you should be forced to disclose that conflict in your signature line.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:18 AM   #10
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZmusicboy01 View Post
Samsung and Apple are acting like an old couple They argue millions of times but still get along.
I'd say an odd couple... lol
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:20 AM   #11
ghsNick
macrumors 68000

Oh, the irony.
ghsNick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:23 AM   #12
needfx
macrumors 68020

what's an ipad mini?
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:28 AM   #13
radiohead14
macrumors 6502a

good.. samsung makes quality displays that are consistent. i've always preferred the samsung display on the macbook air than the other manufacturers. i wish this was the case for the air, so there'll be no more panel lottery.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:28 AM   #14
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

That's fine, just release it already
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:28 AM   #15
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Hopefully if there is no IGZO display, Samsung will be the exclusive display provider for the retina MacBook Pros too.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:29 AM   #16
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
what's an ipad mini?
It is the Nexus7's more expensive and lower resolution competitor.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:29 AM   #17
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

Old news, Asus Nexus 7 is months ahead of the hi res 7" tablet game.. at a lower cost.

Well played google.
matteusclement is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:30 AM   #18
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

I'm ready for a new iPad Mini with retina display
Four oF NINE is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:31 AM   #19
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
[url=http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/07/samsung-reportedly-becomes-primary-ipad-display-supplier-as-next-generation-ipad-mini-grows-closer/]But it has been reported for several months now that Apple is returning to Samsung as a display supplier due to its technological advantages and production capacity.
Or the truth is that the earlier reports were wrong
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:31 AM   #20
radiohead14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Hopefully if there is no IGZO display, Samsung will be the exclusive display provider for the retina MacBook Pros too.
i hope so too.. my wallet's been waiting for the haswell mbp.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:39 AM   #21
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Haters gonna supply! Can't stop laughing... Some fanb... err nerds must be crying...

I don't care where the components come from, as long as they are the best.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:42 AM   #22
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Samsung Display is not part of Samsung Electronics. Yah it's still Samsung owned but they run basically solo and only do display technology.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/20147
Ryth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:44 AM   #23
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
If you have ever posted a negative comment about Samsung and continue to support the company by purchasing a product that uses Samsung components in an Apple product, I think you should be forced to disclose that conflict in your signature line.
I prefer to think of having a Samsung component in my product like eating a burger with pink slime. I don't really have to know it's there and I sure as hell don't want to support it.
Iconoclysm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:54 AM   #24
pirg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaddict06 View Post
Man, forget politics - business makes for the strangest bedfellows.
More proof that the goal of any corporation is money.
pirg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:04 AM   #25
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

I couldn't care less if the display maker is samsung, they seem to produce the consistently best displays and if I'm paying premium $ then couldn't care less about their conflict, as long as I get the best product that's all that really matters and I wish others felt the same way because this whole brand loyalty nonsense does nothing.
appleisking is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion