Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 7, 2013, 01:40 PM   #1
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Hidden Camera Footage Of A Gay Couple In Texas Will Shock You

Videos like this make me think there's some hope in the country.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:00 PM   #2
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Agreed. So glad decent people who stand up to injustice exist.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:02 PM   #3
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

I was actually shocked to hear New York performed worse in the study.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:13 PM   #4
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
I was actually shocked to hear New York performed worse in the study.
I'm not. New York has a very low-context, "keep to yourself" culture.

The south is high-context, group-oriented, "protect the unit" culture. I'm sure there was some serious anti-gay folks in that restaurant that kept their mouths shut. But those that felt the waitress was offensive made no bones about letting her know about it.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:

As a mother of 2 children living in Texas, and a lesbian, that video brought tears to my eyes.

I've not had any experiences like the one detailed in that video and I'm grateful. I would hope, though, that if something like that happened there would be many who would stand up like those amazing people did.

One of my best memories of motherhood (so far) was going out to dinner with the kids on Mother's Day. It was our first, and my twins were only 2 months old. Midway through dinner a couple from another table came up to us and asked if it was our first Mother's Day. She said that the children were beautiful and we looked like an amazing family. We chatted for a few minutes about the babies and they went back to their table. When we asked for our check, the waitress told us that the couple we had been talking to earlier had paid it for us, and they told her to tell us to have a wonderful Mother's Day. Unfortunately, they had already left, but that memory and their kindness will stay with me until the day I die. And I'm looking forward to sharing it with my kids when they get old enough to understand it (they're 6).

I was wary, and sometimes still am, about my decision to raise my kids in Texas, but my experience and the video above makes me feel so much better. I still think there may be some bumps (and there have been a few already), but I think for the most part people are coming around.
Moyank24 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:19 PM   #6
niuniu
Banned

You can get refused service for being gay!
niuniu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:27 PM   #7
bradl
macrumors 68020

Okay.. at 1:01, is it just me, or is that Emeril Lagasse?

EDIT: It's the producer.. but almost a decent dead ringer!

BL.

Last edited by bradl; Aug 7, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:29 PM   #8
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Indeed.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:50 PM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

That was awesome that so many stood up. I know I would have.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 03:28 PM   #10
edk99
macrumors 6502a

It is great that people stand up to this but I can't help but think this whole video was staged.
edk99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 03:38 PM   #11
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
It is great that people stand up to this but I can't help but think this whole video was staged.
This is a long running ABC News series which was turned into its own program. I know one of the producers. It is not staged but is, of course, highly edited.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:40 PM   #12
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Can someone give me the Cliff's Notes version of what's in the video? I'm afraid that watching a 7-minute YouTube feature at work isn't in the cards for me.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 05:04 PM   #13
zioxide
macrumors 603

While it's definitely reassuring to see that many people stand up to bigotry in a restaurant, how about they start doing it in the voting booth?
zioxide is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 05:46 PM   #14
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Can someone give me the Cliff's Notes version of what's in the video? I'm afraid that watching a 7-minute YouTube feature at work isn't in the cards for me.
Lesbian couple and their family are at a restaurant in rural Texas. Waitress comes up and brings up small talk with the parents, and then starts to say how the children need a father in their lives and that they aren't fitting parents, followed by typical gay bashing.

Only catch is that the lesbian couple, the family, and the waitress are all actors. The premise here is to see how many people or who in the restaurant will have the balls to stand up and say that such bashing is wrong. Some people do. I believe the number was 26 people in that restaurant did; even when they changed the parents to be two men instead of women.

They also compared that not only to who stood up for the waitress, but how many people stood up when they set up this same thing at a restaurant in New York.

One thing that really hit home with this is that one of the ladies who was acting as the parent is actually a lesbian, so this all hits home, despite putting on a show in front of real people.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:03 PM   #15
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
While it's definitely reassuring to see that many people stand up to bigotry in a restaurant, how about they start doing it in the voting booth?
I think our worst enemy has been apathy. You have people are gay voting and of course you have the people who hate the gays voting. What has hurt us are those who have no opinion either way.

Those guys who stood up for that couple in the video may have never voted for/against it, but I think now that they've seen discrimination first hand that will change.

As more people come out of the closet and share their stories, especially those of us who have families, those who have had no opinion either way will start to see that real people are being effected by these discriminatory laws. In my 8 years here, I've met many people who have never known, seen, or even thought about gay people. It's a lot easier to discriminate against something you have no experience with.
Moyank24 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:25 AM   #16
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

See, if Americans would apply their "think positive" and "can do"-mentality to things like that across the country you wouldn't be in such a mess.
Andeavor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 07:19 AM   #17
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Because Texans see states run by Democrats and see the economic disaster. I voted for gay rights by voting libertarian, but I can't say I blame Texas after looking at some of the broke blue states.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
I think our worst enemy has been apathy. You have people are gay voting and of course you have the people who hate the gays voting. What has hurt us are those who have no opinion either way.

Those guys who stood up for that couple in the video may have never voted for/against it, but I think now that they've seen discrimination first hand that will change.

As more people come out of the closet and share their stories, especially those of us who have families, those who have had no opinion either way will start to see that real people are being effected by these discriminatory laws. In my 8 years here, I've met many people who have never known, seen, or even thought about gay people. It's a lot easier to discriminate against something you have no experience with.
In a lot of ways I think you've nailed it. I would only add that the biggest leaps forward for gay rights IMO will be when the moderate part of the right accepts that things need to change. Trying to make more democrats will fail. You'll have better luck swaying republicans.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

I had a chance to watch the video last night.

I live in the suburbs of Dallas, although not in Farmers Branch. I'm not the least bit surprised that there were as many people as there were in the video who supported the "families," as they were portrayed, but I am surprised at how many actually stood up and confronted the waitress openly.

Perhaps it's editing, perhaps I'm just plain wrong, but I would have expected more people to have either said something discreetly, or said nothing at all, regardless of how they actually felt. If the "waitress" was actually even more hateful than we actually saw on camera, that might explain the disconnect between the reactions I saw and the reactions I expected.

I thought it was even more interesting how there was such a big difference between the reactions of people in Texas versus New York. I can't help but wonder if that had more to do with people's attitudes toward families headed by same-sex couples, or people's friendliness in general.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 08:16 AM   #19
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Thanks to the OP for the interesting post. A good way to erase what was an otherwise crappy day. The video highlights something that I have always felt: while the South does have it share of moronic redneck bigots, there is also an ethos of friendliness and care for other people. I am not saying that minorities in the South have it easy, but the South is not as backward as some in the North would like to imagine.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:37 AM   #20
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Because Texans see states run by Democrats and see the economic disaster. I voted for gay rights by voting libertarian, but I can't say I blame Texas after looking at some of the broke blue states.
Funny, then why are the 10 poorest states in the country according to this US News report all red states?
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:31 PM   #21
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Funny, then why are the 10 poorest states in the country according to this US News report all red states?
Texas isn't one of those states, nor is it a state where the government is going belly up on over-regulation and government programs.

Getting back to topic. It's unfair to say "why don't Texans show support in the polls". Texans haven't had the chance to vote on referendums directly changing the law. If I'm a conservative forced to vote for a Republican or a Democrat and I'm a Texan, I vote Republican every time. I don't get to line item my candidates and say "I vote for you but you have to change your stance on social issues like gay marriage", I have to vote for the candidate that most appeals to my views. Texans are the same way. By and large, Texans feel that Republicans are more in line with what they want. That's why Texas is red.

I would love to vote on my issues directly, but we do not live in a true Democracy, and Texans have to vote based on all their beliefs, not just one.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:37 PM   #22
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Texas isn't one of those states, nor is it a state where the government is going belly up on over-regulation and government programs.
Yes, *clearly* Texas is not over-regulating industry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Fe...pany_explosion

Texas, where lack of regulation doesn't kill jobs....just people.

----------

Quote:
If I'm a conservative forced to vote for a Republican or a Democrat and I'm a Texan, I vote Republican every time.
So what is it that Texas Republicans support that, for you, trumps the rights of people to marry the person they love?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:40 PM   #23
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Getting back to topic. It's unfair to say "why don't Texans show support in the polls". Texans haven't had the chance to vote on referendums directly changing the law. If I'm a conservative forced to vote for a Republican or a Democrat and I'm a Texan, I vote Republican every time. I don't get to line item my candidates and say "I vote for you but you have to change your stance on social issues like gay marriage", I have to vote for the candidate that most appeals to my views. Texans are the same way. By and large, Texans feel that Republicans are more in line with what they want. That's why Texas is red.

I would love to vote on my issues directly, but we do not live in a true Democracy, and Texans have to vote based on all their beliefs, not just one.
Marriage isn't something that the states should be deciding on individually, especially if it is restricting the ability.

Why hasn't Obama tried to push gay marriage on the federal stage? Are his views still "evolving"?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:45 PM   #24
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Yes, *clearly* Texas is not over-regulating industry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Fe...pany_explosion

Texas, where lack of regulation doesn't kill jobs....just people.
That investigation is still open, but it appears that OSHA did not visit the plant in some six years. That is not the state's responsibility. Also, highly regulated states have more than their share of chemical accidents. But you know what, you're right, California should post a sign on every building that sells diet soda explaining that the restaurant sells carcinogens. After all, they pay 60% in taxes, let Sacramento waste their money.

If you want to discuss stupid over regulation and how it is destroying a number of states, do that in a different thread.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Marriage isn't something that the states should be deciding on individually, especially if it is restricting the ability.

Why hasn't Obama tried to push gay marriage on the federal stage? Are his views still "evolving"?
Because a large portion of our country is weary of a strong Federal Government. I don't personally believe the government should have any involvement in marriage at all, other than potentially as a record keeper. Getting married is a contract for which you shouldn't require a license. No state or federal entity should license you to get married. You should go to the courthouse, say "I'm getting married", the state says "okay" and you get married. No regulation by the government, no licensing, no nonsense.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 01:01 PM   #25
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Also, highly regulated states have more than their share of chemical accidents.
Source please.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues